“Two happy accidents!”

Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepalese
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant is a Authentic Nepalese and Indian restaurant based in the Heart of Edinburgh. This popular restaurant offers a unique journey through the Nepalese cuisine. As well as maintaining the authenticity of the food, Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant strives to elevate the Friendly and relaxed dining experience by following the changing food trends in Nepal. To join us please make a Online Reservation using our Online Booking Form. Gurkha Cafe & Resaurant has an extensive variety of extraordinary Nepalese delicacies as well as Indian all time favorite which are all prepared for a fantastic palate.
Selkirk, United Kingdom
“Two happy accidents!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stumbled on this place by accident while on our way to a Fringe show and thought we'd give it a try. We shared a mixed starter which was all delicious, but the chicken pakora and chicken tikka were particularly good. My partner followed that with butter chicken and I ordered methi chicken. When our meal arrived though, I noticed mine was a lamb dish. As I was quite hungry I decided just to eat it though, and can honestly say it was one of the best meals I've ever had, so I couldn't in all conscience mark them down for it. The staff were all lovely, and the chef even came out when we were finished to ask how we'd enjoyed our meal (although my partner did point out that maybe he had realised his mistake and just come to see who the idiot was who didn't know the difference between chicken and lamb lol) All in all we were very impressed and will definitely be returning. PS as we were by the window we also got a cool view of the Tattoo fireworks!

2 Thank Hibbytrish

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Pinehurst, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nepalese Bonus”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were looking for good Indian food with vegetarian options. Bonus to be exposed to Nepalese entrees. Typical tight quarters. Decor help create a unique atmosphere. Medium spice Dal Makhani was flavorful and fresh. Excellent naans for hungry travelers.

1 Thank trmii
Carlisle
“Delicious”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We arrived without booking at around 6pm and they found seats for us (others slightly later had a longer wait).
Drinks menu was standard for an Indian-style restaurant.
We were just looking for a quick meal so chose mains and rice. I ordered paneer maknahni with pineapple & coconut rice - unfortunately they only had a small amount of paneer left so they offered me a starter size dish or the opportunity to change my order. I chose the smaller dish.
It was absolutely delicious, the rice was amazing and actually as a light meal there was plenty for me.
When the bill came they had not charged me for the paneer dish, a gesture I was not expecting and I'm grateful for so I see this as amazing service.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend and we'll be back next time we're in Edinburgh.

Austin, Texas
“Love this place”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This was my second time here, which was actually a happy accident. I found it on TA two years ago and loved it. This trip my husband was with me and I wanted him to pick a place, although I secretly really just wanted to go back here. It ended up he unknowingly chose the same restaurant. It was just as good as I remembered. The interior with the wood plank ceiling creates such a nice and different atmosphere, it feels very cozy and a bit exotic. The portions are good-sized (we over ordered). All the food was very good and the service was excellent. I hope to be back again.

Visited August 2014
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent first Nepalese dinner”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I did enjoy my dinner at Gourka and can only confirm the positive comments of other reviewers. Very friendly and attentive staff. I took a mix of "Tikka" meat bits, all delicious and tasty. As main dish I followed the waiter's advice and took the"on the bone" lamb curry, melting meat in a subtly spiced sauce. Wow, really above my expectations. The waiter kindly explained to me some differences between Nepalese and Indian cooking, the former being usually less hot and using same spices but in different proportions. In any case the result was excellent food and good value for money. Congratulations to the chef!