“21st-23rd December”

Ranked #295 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“21st-23rd December”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Didn't have particularly high hopes after reading some of the previous reviews. Arrived about one and was shown straight to our room by a really friendly lady who asked if we had any questions about Edinburgh or needed any advice. Room was clean - big bed, lovely deep bath and nice powerful shower and we didn't hear a sound through the night (pretty much everything I want from a hotel room!) both mornings we were there we were served a big tasty breakfast (my boyfriend hasn't shut up about the haggis since we got back!) by a different but equally friendly lady who couldn't seem to do enough for us or the other guests. A very pleasant stay, an quite a nice surprise after being put off by others negative reviews!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Hi, I'm sorry this has come to this but I really reccomending that you do not stay at this hotel. Not because the stay was particular bad but because if anything goes wrong they are completely untrustworthy. They charged me twice for my room in SEPTEMBER and they have still not refunded the money. I've been in contact with them on several occasions when they actually pick up their phone (they will never reply to an email or a phone message) and they have told me they would give me a refund, taken bank details etc and still nothing. I hate writing negative reviews but as a matter of principle I strongly advise against staying here. I'd hate to see anyone in a similar situation with an establishment that is clearly careless and has no concern for customer service.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Em w

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

we stayed one night and found the room clean and warm. Free parking on the street outside the hotel in a bonus in Edinburgh. Easy access to the city centre and lots of interesting pubs cafés and restaurants on leith walk. Breakfast was great . We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kilwinning
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Myself, parter, mum and dad stayed here for 1 night. We were going to the theatre and the fact we could check in at 2pm and it was only a mile away swayed us! We arrived and found our keys were in an envelop on a chair in an unlocked hall with a nice note from the owners. This wasn't a problem until we returned at1am and there were still other peoples keys lying which anyone could have picked up and came into the hotel! We stayed in the family suit which was 1 double and 1 twin with 1 bathroom which was fine for 4 adults. Rooms could do with a bit of TLC but they did the job.
There was a tablet in the hall which allowed you to book a taxi however we tried this 3 times and no taxi arrived. We couldn't ask anyone for assistance as owners were not there and ended up having to flag a taxi down and almost missed our dinner reservation (torrential rain and wind however walked back which was a pleasant walk).
Breakfast was great and the owners lovely!
Overall location and value was good and we would stay again!

• Stayed December 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Okay to cover minor issues..there are minor DIY issues but exceptional good value for money. Very homely vibe with delicious breakfast with extensive vegetarian options. Heather is hostess/tour guide/helpful all in one. Thank you. We will definitely return at. £50 per room per night was exceptional value for money .

• Stayed December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My partner and I booked a short stay in Edinburgh for her Birthday, and quite frankly it was an odd experience. We had the room on the ground floor, which was in between the dining area and the kitchen... It was too noisy, and the room was below average; a headboard that wasn't even attached to anything, random pair of tights behind the chair, and just a total look of the room being neglected, with scratches on the wall and not properly cleaned. We complained by texting the manager (who we hadn't even met yet has he said he was called away, although after reading past reviews apparently he does this all time time), and he said he would sort it the next day.

After breakfast the next morning (which was faultless I think, really lovely actually) the lady informed us that they would move our stuff from our room and move it to another room - we said that wouldn't be necessary and we could move our own stuff, and agreed to do this after our day out. When we returned,they had moved all of our stuff without our permission and moved us to another apartment room downstairs (I think they thought they were helping, however we just felt a little uncomfortable about this and they obviously hadn't listened).

We then had to wait AN HOUR in the dining room as they had lost the key and had to call a cleaner back (the manager had gone AWOL).

On eventually arriving at the apartment room, we soon discovered that the heating wasn't working, and that in the bathroom there were dodgy looking light switches hanging from the ceiling. After calling and texting the manager with no response, we decided to knock on his door personally, because he quite clearly lived opposite the hotel. He answered, checked the heating, and moved us in to ANOTHER room (our third one)- the best suite I believe. This room was probably the best room in the hotel.

It may be worth adding, I overheard a conversation with a member of staff and a gentleman in the morning as I was going down to breakfast - he had apparently booked online, turned up to check in the day before, had no keys left for him, and he couldn't get hold of anyone, so he had to find alternative accommodation - it actually made me feel lucky that we actually GOT IN the place.

This experience in my opinion is simply unacceptable - and to be honest it kind of stressed us out on what was supposed to be a celebration weekend. I'm not one of those picky people who go through everything with a fine tooth comb, but the state of the hotel looked like it was once really nice, and then suddenly nobody cares about it anymore.

The positives were that the breakfast was tasty with lots of different choices. And, even though it's a good 20 minute walk from the city centre (although there is a bus stop right outside the hotel with regular buses), Leith Walk has lots of lovely restaurants and pubs (if you want something less touristy). Also, the lady serving breakfast was very helpful and made some recommendations to us.

Suffice to say we wouldn't return to the hotel, which is a shame because it is a beautiful building with so much potential.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate H
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The only thing “Boutique” about this, so called, “Boutique B&B” was the price. My wife and I stayed at the Capital Residence recently and I am sad to say that, after disregarding the negative reviews I had read, we should have paid more attention to them! Ours was the apartment room overlooking the rear garden. On initial arrival, the first thing I noticed was that there were two large holes in the ceiling which someone had attempted to fill with toilet tissue? This was something which had been highlighted in one of the negative reviews I mentioned and, as this had been posted a while back, I assumed that the owners would have taken steps to address the issue. Sadly this was not the case here, or with any of the other problems highlighted by customer reviews. In the bathroom all of the light fittings were hanging loose from the ceiling and the sealant in the shower base was covered in mould. The room carpet was filthy and clearly in need of a deep clean and a large cob web was hanging from the ceiling. Throughout the building there were various minor defects which could be easily fixed (cracked plaster, loose floor tiles). To cap things off, in the morning I looked out of the French doors, looking over the garden, to see what I thought was a pool of sewage on the back lawn. My fears were confirmed when I flushed the toilet and observed more waste pumping on to the lawn. As I was only staying for one night I put up with the poor standards however, had I been staying any longer, I would have cancelled my reservation and gone elsewhere. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple