“Lovely Steak”

Aspen Bar and Grill
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Amazing fresh cooked food from scratch, and the staff are very friendly, especially David who is an assest to the business.
Reviewed 17 November 2012

My spouse and I ate at this Grill using a Groupon voucher for a Mussels and Steak meal for 2 for £24.00 which included a glass of wine each. On arrival we were shown to our reserved table by a lovely waitress who was very friendly. We presented our voucher to the waitress and asked if one of the glasses of wine could be substituted for a beer, and she said it could, which was very decent. One glass of red (merlot) and one pint of Best beer were duly brought over. We also asked for a jug of water, which came in a carafe with ice, lemon and mint - lovely. The waitress asked how we liked our steak cooked so we gave her the order.
The food duly arrived and whilst we thought we were having a starter of mussels it turned out to be one large plate of food completed with mussels, steak, chips, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms and salad.
The steaks were succulent and cooked to perfection, one rare and one medium/rare. No fatty, stringy bits either so we were delighted. There were about 10-12 mussels in shells on the plate and all in all the portion was ample. A finger bowl was brought with the food so we could clean our hands after eating the mussels.
I checked out the menu prices and we saved about £2.00 per head plus the drinks with our Groupon voucher. I would definitely eat here again as the service was good and the food very good. All other diners arriving at the Grill also handed over Groupon vouchers, so I am not sure if this place is usually very quiet.
Only downside are the black seat covers over the small settee style seating which kept sticking to clothing so practically came off the seats when you got in or out. There are also small tv screens embedded into the walls every 10 feet or so which were showing darts on all sets. Although there was no volume on these it was quite off putting and distracting whilst dining. Fine for during the day I would imagine, but would probably be best switched off for evening dining.

2  Thank EdinburghGeomcewan

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I've been here twice - once with a group of friends, once on a date.

When I went with friends, they were out of seating upstairs, so we sat in the basement... we were the only people downstairs, so it felt rather odd. The food was unremarkable for the price (a step bellow most pub food) but the staff were very friendly.

I came here a second time on a date with a groupon deal. The portion was far bigger than I expected, and while the food (steak, chips, and mussels) wasn't very classy in terms or presentation, it tasted great. The staff were even more attentive and friendly. The house Merlot was rather weak, but it was still enjoyable. So overall I would recommend this place if you can get a deal, but avoid it if not.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Went on a Groupon deal to this restaurant. Went expecting nothing and got a great surprise. The staff were welcoming and attentive, but the food was incredible. The deal was mussels and sirloin steak. Not only were they good, even the chips were crisp and crunchie. The steak came from the local Scottish meat butcher, the rest freshly sourced. Would recommend this to anyone.

2  Thank RobsheDunfermline
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I pop into aspen during my lunch break for their lunch deal and in the evenings when I can't be bothered with the dishes! Their menu is so appetising that I have something different every time and am never disappointed or have plate envy over my friend's dinner. My favourite is.... Well all of it but the homemade chips are out of this world. Only my dad makes better. I have them usually with pepper sauce yum yum. The staff are friendly, always give me a warm welcome, from my second visit when the girl behind the bar recognised me which is rare now a days as I usually get ignored every pub I go into! Proper hospitality is hard to find in this town but aspen manages to be inviting, friendly with amazing chips (with pepper sauce).

3  Thank chipofftheoldbloc
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My friend and i went in for lunch today, and was really looking forward to it, the girl who servered her was really so friendy it was a great start, we ordered drinks and the juice was off it was drafted stuff so we got cans instead, then we ordered the burger and drinks deal, well it looked good when it arrived but seriously the meat was off, and am sorry to say i really dont think we will be back to this place at all.