“Nice little place ...”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 3 April 2014

There weren't many in the restaurant as we had booked mid-week and were eating quite late (8pm) so we were lucky to have our own server. The other customers seemed to be locals and from the interaction, visited the restaurant regularly. Always a good sign in my experience.

The food came very quickly from the kitchen and the portion sizes were extremely generous, although the curry that I had ordered came in one big bowl so I struggled to figure out how to eat the side of coconut rice, as I didnt want to dump it in the curry bowl, but I found a way around that and the food was very good, delicious even. I would definitely go again. The only thing I think they could improve on would be having an extra bowl so that the customer can marry the rice with the curry dish easier.

This wasn't exactly a romantic restaurant setting, but the decor was very nice and the food was lovely with the staff being very attentive. I think this is the kind of place that is perfect for an early evening dinner with friends. We ate and were out of there within an hour and we never rush our eating so i'd say it's brilliant for anyone who wants very good food but don't have the time to spend hours in a restaurant, perfect for the busy tourist who doesn't want to miss out.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was my first visit to Ruan Thai and on the whole I would say that it was a pleasant experience. Four of us went out for dinner on a Thursday and didn’t book and we were welcomed in a shown to our table. The restaurant is cosy and has traditional decorations and there was a lovely smell of food as we entered. We sat down and we were given our menus and it was over 30mins before someone came over to take order. The restaurant was not full but the waiting staff seemed chaotic and there was lots of running around. When we did order we were told to order by number only like you would at a take away. We ordered a bottle of wine which arrived and was poured and it was taken away so that they could find a chiller for it. Again about 10mins passed before they came back with the chiller.
The food arrived hot and well presented. The Tom Sum salad was just how I had tasted in Thailand and didn’t last long as I ate it quickly! I had the Yellow Curry and my friend had the Massaman and there was hardly any difference between look and taste wise.
I would say that I have eaten at better Thai’s but this was average and the setting was nice but the service was a little strained considering that they were not full or busy.
For four people we had 4starters, 4 mains and 3 rice and 1 bottle of wine and the bill was £95.00.
There is no reason that I wouldn’t go again but it wouldn’t be my first choice of a Thai restaurant.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Staff are very friendly however did not take our drinks order and we had to ask for drinks with out starters. Ordered a banquet for 2, it was very tasty, and lots of it.
Our table could have been cleaner I could see crumbs under the glass plate, although the glass was clean.
All round good experience and would return.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was a last minute decision to visit here which was based on reviews.

Our table was ready on arrival which was a good start. The restaurant was busy and this was reflected in the service, which got off to a slow start for drinks etc

The starter was good and things seemed promising. The main course arrived quickly enough, but the duck panang curry my wife ordered was very fatty and chewy.

The beef panang I ordered was quite tough and overall the main course disappointing.

It seems good value for money, but I don't think we would go back.

Its nice inside, but the staff could do wit being a bit more friendly.

1  Thank Andy347
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had a lovely meal on Saturday 22nd Feb 2014, really nice. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was great and very decent portions too. Nothing seemed overpriced either, considering what other Edinburgh restaurants can be like. Will definitely go back.