“A Malaysians View”

Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Being of Malaysian origin I miss the food I grew up with a lot. Kampung Ali fills the need for some delicious Malaysian food. It is fairly priced and the food portions and tastes are almost like home. You cannot replicate all the tastes but my standard selections are well represented. I usually try the Prawn mee hoon/mee with a lithe extra sambal for a nice kick. I have taken other Malaysians here as well and we generally feel its the best Malaysian food in Edinburgh and if you request it a bit spicier they will indulge your wishes. I also run a Foodies group in Edinburgh and this place is one of our popular restaurants and can cater to large groups. Try the Koay Teow and Nasi Lemak that friends usually crave and their specials are good too.

1  Thank jjedinburgh1

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was the first time I had been to this restaurant, I usually go to the sister restaurant on Clerk St called Kampong Ah Lee, menu is the same which was ideal too.

PLace is bigger and I felt a bit better for a nice meal as it feels like a restaurant, whereas the sister restaurant/cafe up on Clerk street is a bit more cafe like.

Either way the food is still the same and brilliant, worth a visit to any of them if you don't mind the surroundings.

Food was great, staff were very attentative and the value for money was brilliant.

All in all a great place to visit.

1  Thank cthomson58
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

The roti are amazing! Portion sizes are excellent and good value for money. Service was great, waiter was very attentive and even offered to doggy bag the food we couldnt eat! Would recommend this place to anyone who likes bold flavours and something a little different

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Roti & chicken satay skewers were amazing and the caramelised duck is fab! No frills, BYOB and great value there is plenty of space in the restaurant and so it would be great for a large group.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I came back to the restaurant for a family celebration and no one was disappointed with the choice of venue. We ordered a good selection of starters and main courses, everyone sharing and all agreed everything was tremendous; an extra special mention to Jiang Nan Chicken and Rendang Chicken. I will be back soon.