“so fresh, so clean, but with few faults”

Residence Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #36 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“so fresh, so clean, but with few faults”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I paid for my room only £80 a night, therefore cannot complain much as value for money was great. However, if I were to pay £150 and this is they current price on booking.com I would not be as satisfied. One could fine much better hotel for this price.

The room was very clean, practically spotless (extremely nice housekeeping staff, nicer than receptionists). I really liked the colours and furnitures. The kitchen annex is very useful if one doesn't fancy eating out (especially for longer stays). The bed could be a little bit more comfy, I couldn't sleep very well because it was too soft. Also, although the room was fresh and clean it was really badly designed. The sing was in the room and bathroom had a slide door, therefore I was up everytime my boyfriend was in the toilet (this is probably another reason for not sleeping well). The sink, for some weird reason, was in the room, not separated with any door. Suitable only for couples with no privacy issues ;)

Breakfasts were only average, and the breakfast area was very small. Luckily I got a table at the back, otherwise I would have eaten in the reception area ;/

The brightest side of this hotel is its location. There are still some building works around the hotel, however when they finish them it is going to be a great area to stay. It is quiet and only 10 min walk to the grass market and few more to the castle. I didn't have any problems with finding the hotel using my sat nav and some common sense ;)

Overall, I would not pay £150 a night as the hotel is not worth that much (oh, parking charge is £12 on the top of this price). They could do with few improvements, especially in the design department, maybe then the hotel could compete with other 4 and 5 stars hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I am baffled by some of the reviews adn wonder if they were at a different hotel. We stayed for 5 nights in July and loved this place

The rooms are very spacious particularly by European standards. After reading the previous reviews we did request a lover floor and ended up on the floor above the ground floor (first floor in UK) - We had a corner room with the two windows as other had mentioned. I like my room*cold* to sleep and was concerned about all the temp complaints but it was definitely a non-issue. We did sleep with both Windows open and it was fine, in fact, my wife ordered an extra blanket. Yes, there was some occasional noise from the street but it was infequent and tolerable - We did poke around on some higher floors and it seemed a tad warmer in the hallway but that was it...

The breakfast situation is also excelent. The peak time is a 9 but we ate most days around 8 and the place was empty eventhough the hotel was full. Breakfast is decent with choices of cereals, egg, meat, cheeses, fruit, etc. There is a market 1 inute fromt he front door that has tons of options if the buffet does not suit you. The market has fruits and veggies, wine, beer, premade meals to microwave or bake etc. There is also a little store in the hotel for snacks, beer, soda water, etc. The breakfast area turns into a bar at night and has a nice feel if you want a nightcap. We watched the final game of the Euro Cup with some of our fellow travellers

The staff is extremely helpful, took care of cabs answered questions, etc. Unike US Residence Inns there is ample staff to help.

This hotel has a great location. 10 minutes on foot to the royal mile, same to Grassmarket. There are lots of good choices to eat nearby, Italian, Indian, Pub, Coffee shops all within 5 minutes walk.

We arrived by cab from the airport (about 20 pounds) so cannot speak to the parking

We did take a cab to Rosslyn (great place) and that was about 20 pounds as well.

Bottom line: would stay here again ina heartbeat - rooms, staff, and location are a great value

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tea_Meister
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in the beginning of June. Overall it is a perfect location for getting everywhere on foot. Bus 35 runs a block away, but I only used it when I went to Leith. The one bedroom suite I stayed in was lovely. The windows open kept a nice breeze even without air conditioning. Yes the hallways were warm, but it felt great after coming in from chilly temps outside. (however I am from south Texas- so it was not a big deal for me). The staff was friendly and Craig was a smiling cute face to see every evening. All in all, I will stay here again the next time I'm in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2012
UK
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Hot, hot, hot. The designer wants shooting for creating this hothouse. We had to have the fan on all night to get a decent night's sleep as leaving the window open means you are woken up at an unearthly hour as the neighbours' rubbiosh is removed. How can an American chain make the mistake of not providing aircon? Other comments elsewhere about the bathroom are spot on - the shower temperature fluctuates wildly and the "bathroom" light also turns on a light in the bedroom. Why put the washbasin outside the bathroom? And why the sliding door? It;s not space saving just very bad design. The breakfast area is the lobby and is way too small to accommodate the number of people wishing to eat. The staff cannot clear tables quickly enough. And why have a pop-up toaster... people end up waiting for ages while someone does the toast to their liking. On the plus side the staff are very helpful (perhaps this is where they train them to deal with guests who complain?). The area is good and just right for the old town. I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Heat rises - stay near the ground floor if possible.
2 Thank Weststandl21
Bournemouth
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Just want to say thank you to Svetlana for taking so much trouble to find me a cool room. Having read previous reviews on trip adviser I was worried about being too hot. I am a woman of certain age and cannot bear to be in a hot atmosphere. Svetlana helped us to find a lovely room on the east side of the building (307) with a sliding window that gives a very good draft. That said, the corridors are unbelievably hot. Lovely room, modern, everything you could need. The water in the shower does go hot and cold, but at least it wakes you up! Location could not be better, 15 mins from Castle, Royal Mile etc. Breakfast was excellent. Did not get too crowded when we were there, but really good choice, hot and cold. Staff were excellent throughout the stay - a real credit to Marrott. Nothing too much trouble. Would stay again if in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Make sure you talk to Svetlana about getting a cool room
seward, ak
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We had a delightful room to start our two week Scotland holiday, we ended up with a corner room studio which gave us ample room to get ourselves organized. Even though it never got hot while we were in Edinburgh, we appreciated the good ventilation that the corner room offered. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the breakfast offerings ample, and the location to be excellent. The kitchen nook was very useful and really facilitated our ability to not eat out every night. Along with the complete breakfast offerings, this place really is a screaming deal. We watched the Olympic Torch go by just a block away while enjoying fabulous crepes from a streetside stand called Brasil Crepes, which is just a short walk up the close to the main street.

Room Tip: Corner rooms allow for more natural ventilation.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Don't normal write reviews but I loved the Residence Inn in Edinburgh. I would definitely stay here again. Breakfast was included and very tasty indeed. Our room was spacious, clean and well laid out - there was a lovely balcony, the double bed and couch were super comfy and the shower was huge. You could also dock your ipod into the clock/ radio - what more could a girl want.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends