“Very impressed”

Residence Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #37 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Myself and my husband stayed at Residence Inn recently and can only commende the staff, the comfort of the room and the very kind willingness to allow us to check in early on arrival. We didn't find the location as good as other visitors because their are more central hotels but overall, our stay was faultless with all requirements accounted for such as printing off our boarding passes upon departure, holding onto our bags until we were ready to leave later that day, all dealt with with outstanding courtesy and accord.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in August 2012 and could not have been more impressed with the staff. The rooms were nice, per Marriott standards, since we have yet to have a bad stay in a Marriott. Yes, the rooms were a bit warm, but it's Europe and A/C isn't standard. We were only there one night and didn't see the fan that was in the closet until in the morning so that would have largely contributed to our comfort but was our mistake.

I will caution that the hotel is a bit hard to find if you are in your own vehicle (even with a gps.) I would advise to do your research before you start the journey. But, you are centrally located for sure!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank uf_kat
Reviewed 24 August 2012

After paying 230 pounds for 1 night one would expect to get some service from the hotel. However the staff was so lazy and arrogant that they refused to help us with the luggage or to give us a helping hand carrying the baggage to the taxi. They simply refused! Unbelievable... Never experienced such rudeness before.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank geert s
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This is pretty much what you would expect from a Residence Inn -- high-quality decor and furnishings, kitchenette, etc etc and in a great location only 10 minutes stroll from the city centre. We were very comfortable and all the staff were friendly and helpful. Wasn't cheap tho. Regarding comments made in other reviews, we reacted to reports about over-heated rooms and were given a room on a lower floor and this was a comfortable temperature. Seems the hotel has no air-conditioning and as it's a largely glass building temperatures can build up in the sunshine. Other reviews commented on the lack of space in the breakfast area. It is indeed too small but we had no difficulty finding a table at 8:15am on Friday and Saturday mornings. Got crowded later. If you drive here and use the NCP car park next to the hotel, be sure to get the hotel to validate your parking ticket to get a discount before you pay at the machine. We did use the car park and had no trouble finding a parking space.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor. If you use the NCP car park next door, be sure to have the hotel v...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mikedee25
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a bank holiday weekend. Rooms were good, large and clean.It had fridge, sink, cutlery, dishwasher, toaster, kettle and microwave which was handy given there is a sainsbury's 2 minutes from the hotel. The beds were reasonably comfortable. Room has mounted flatscreen tv, but in our room it was on the wall to the side of the bed insted of in front of the bed ... to be fair though there is a couch which faces the tv so i guess they put it there expecting you to watch it from the couch (I know, minor detail but im just giving a full discription of the room!).

Bathroom had a large walk in shower which is great.

The hotel was walking distance to local attractions and shops/bars. It is beside a large park area and Edinburgh University.

I found it to be very well priced as it included breakfast, although if i stayed again id prob just go to sainsbury's (i didn't like the breakfast, eggs and ham tasted funny!)

Anyone who requires a good gym in a hotel, this wouldn't be suitable as it only has a tiny one. But there is a pure gym beside it which you could just pay to use if you wanted.

All in all, would stay again if I was in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank CMDublin
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I think this is a really nice hotel. After arriving early from an international flight, they got me a cup of tea in their lounge and got my room ready in about 30 min (3 hours before check-in).

The rooms are very spacious, clean, and nicely decorated.

My one issue was the hardwood floors which I believe was the culprit in carrying sound from one room to the next. I could hear my next door neighbor turn on his light switches, talking with friends, and watching tv all night long. So, until they figure out how to soundproof these rooms, you better bring your earplugs.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Eton_Rifles
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The title speaks for itself, but I want to give more details. I want to say "ditto" about size and cleanliness of the rooms, great location and adequate breakfast. My husband, two high school kids and I have been traveling since July 28, 2012, and started the trip in Edinburgh. It was a little tricky finding the hotel, initially, as the Simpson Loan location was not readily recognized as an address by the first several people we asked. However, one astute merchant knew exactly how to direct us, and we found it in a quiet and new development just above the Meadows. Once there, we had nothing but the highest quality and friendly service. There were many people who stood out, but only two names I knew because they were consistently available to help us. Ross at the front desk helped us from day one, and every single recommendation he made for restaurants and attractions/sights to see were the BEST thank you, Ross!! Svetlana was the evening shift attendant and she also went above and beyond her duty by trying to help me navigate the online Olympic tickets process (success doing that should have been rewarded with a medal of it's own!), and she helped me with other questions during the evening time.

I discovered the free laundry, and decided to use it late one night. When my clothes weren't dry at midnight, one of the overnight attendants offered to dry and fold my clothes, which he did! Even the busboy/helper during the breakfast shift was eager to help me by getting cream for my coffee one morning. We used Edinburgh as our base from which to see the highlands, Lochs, and golfing areas. My family truly enjoyed our 5 nights in Edinburgh due to the wonderful experience we had at the Marriott Residence Inn! Thank you!

Room Tip: If you on the side with a view of the castle-like building, be advised that the people who work in t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family