“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Delighted I chose this hotel for our weekend through in Edinburgh. We only stayed a Saturday night but were sad we didn't stay longer.
I had asked for a room on a higher floor in case of any street noise. Turns out the hotel is down a quiet little street anyway and we were upgraded to a suite for no extra cost. Woo!
Very impressed with the standard of the whole place,the cleanliness and the staff were very friendly. Fastest check in and out I think I've ever experienced. Breakfast was very nice but I can't comment on dinner as we went out to eat.
Definitely recommend this hotel and next time I need a hotel in Edinburgh this will be the first place I look up.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Greek first
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is not only a really comfortable place to stay in a great location near the centre of Edinburgh, the staff are happy to go that bit further to make life easy for you. We stayed this weekend and on arrival the front desk staff were more than helpful sorting out an problem with the points I was using to pay for the stay. In addition, although earlier than the normal check-in time, we were able to get into our room, which was spotless, very spacious and had very mod con.
The staff asked if there was anything we needed every time we passed the front desk, fresh milk for tea was offered without need to ask and it was clear that nothing was too much trouble for these guys. I stay here any time I gave the chance and thoroughly recommend them, both for quality of facilities but especially for excellent customer service.

Room Tip: They're all good, but if you like a view over sunny parks, ask for one on the south side looking...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed at the Residence Inn with friends and was delighted with the whole experience. Just wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel is an easy 5-10 min walk (depending on your pace) from the castle end of the Royal Mile. Taxi to station cost £7 but again this is walkable and we only took a ride as we had not left ourselves enough time to walk after wanting to fit in as much as possible to our short break!
The rooms were very clean and well equipped with a kitchen area including fridge, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, kettle and safe. In fact, the rooms were exactly as they are portrayed on the website photos. The free breakfast was a bonus and there was plenty of choice from hot dishes to fruit, cereals, baked goods etc. The staff were very friendly and happy to help with queries on directions etc.I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Edinburgh

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is the first review of a hotel I've ever posted, but I couldn't leave without paying hommage to the great staff. After an overnight flight from the US, we arrived long before checkin time, but they let us in, and into bed, by 10:30 am. The room was quite large, with two very comfortable double beds, a couch, armchair, desk, and nicely equipped kitchen with fridge, oven, microwave, and dish washer. The bathroom was smaller than in the US Marriott properties we've visited, and no tub, but everything was very new. If you are committed to energy conservation, you will be enthralled by their system. To bring on the lights, heat, appliances, etc. You must insert your key card in a slot just inside the room door. When you remove it, upon departing, everything automatically turns off, unless you've gotten an extra keycard from the desk so as to keep things on while you are gone. And the dishwasher will only operate if it is at least half loaded. Only problem with the bathroom was that there were not separate lights for the toilet area and sink area, and no door between the sink area and the beds, so if someone gets up in the middle of the night and wants light for using the toilet, two lights come on which shine out onto the beds. Adding a door between the sink area and the beds would solve this. This little inconvenience, though, is more than overweighed by the incredible service from the staff. Examples: There was a tasty package of sandwich cookies in the basket in the kitchen, and I asked if we could have more. In the course of our six day stay, the manager pressed many more cookie packets on me, and I had quite a collection to take home to my grandchildren! I never made it to the breakfast which goes until 10 weekdays and 11 weekends, but my husband said it was always excellent - a buffet including a full hot Scottish breakfast. They were only serving lunch by the time I came down, but they made toast and jam (raspberry - never had this before at a Marriott) for me. It was raining, of course, this being Edinburgh, and I had lost my umbrella on the plane, so they lent us a huge Marriott umbrella for the whole trip. I thought I had shorted out the hairdryer, and they showed me how to fix it. They were very thoughtful about waiting and watching until we were truly out of the room before they came in to make the beds; no knock on the door to see if we were about to leave any time soon. Also was impressed that they had delicious homemade cookies out of the bar, with an optional donation to a charity, and another collection bottle for a baby's charity. They also gave us very good guidance on directions, restaurants, and how to look at our Silver Elite points. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to feel safe and well taken care of - the next best thing to being home. Thanks to all the staff!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

A fabulous experience staying at this hotel. Such friendly, professional and helpful staff at reception. Always there to help with with a smile . Stayed for 2 nights with husband. Room was spotless very clean, comfy and equipped with all you could need and more . Special thanks to Paul at reception for giving us late check out and making the weekend perfect .

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

What more can I stay, wonderful hotel, topped off with truly conscientious staff members. In which, nothing was too much effort. Cleanliness was out of the top draw, being made to fell at home. The room was truly perfect, with enough space to relax and unwind, with modern decor, and the creature comforts I experience at home which included the modern appliances like; Dishwasher, Kettle, Microwave and DAB Digital Radio/Alarm. There was a vast range to choose from at breakfast both continental and full cooked varieties with the availability to have as much as what was wanted. Will definitely be returning, and I am sure we will have the same great time as before... wishing I never had to leave.

Room Tip: All rooms are modern, with all the key things needed for a great stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ackers965
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed in the hotel in January for 1 night for visitinh Edinburgh over the weekend.

We arrived relatively early and to be honest did not expect to be able to check in that early. However, at 11 o'clock we got to our room which had been upgraded as well! The room itself was beyond perfect - very spacious, comy bed, microwave, fridge, tv, some dishes and being on the 5th floor a great view as well.
Everything about the room was just spotless and not more you could as for and every dealing with the staff was very pleasant and enjoyable. At one occasion we were queuing in the reception to ask for some directions to the centre and a girl from the bar came to see if she could help so that we would not have to wait. I found it to be an excellent example of good service.
Had some drinks in the bar in the evening, which were quite pricey but to be honest, it's just regular hotel prices.
The free breakfast was a nice touch as well with ample of choice and possibility to take a coffee on the go which was defenitely necessary on a rather chilly morning.

Only regret is that we only stayed for one night.

Would higly recommend this hotel and hopefully will stay again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple