“Noise One Off?”

Residence Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #38 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 September 2014

On the 5th night of my stay at this hotel I was annoyed by loud noises from the room next door at approx 10.15pm. My wife and I were worried that we might not get a proper nights rest but I did not take any action at this stage.
However 30 minutes later that noise developed into full bodied shouting as noisy activities ensued and several people spilled into the corridor. There were obviously more people in the corridor than were staying in the hotel's rooms. I phoned the hotel reception that something needed to be done, but nobody appeared. I went out to remonstrate to the party goers in the corridor but not much changed.
I phoned reception again and this time someone appeared but to my surprise addressed the party leader as if it was someone he knew. The party leader did come and apologise to me and the noise did subside a little time later, and we assumed the people had gone off to celebrate elsewhere. We still had a disturbed sleep having been agitated by the activities and we were concerned the revellers might return, but little further noise was heard.
I spoke to the manager next morning and again gained the impression that the party leader was known to staff as he said that it was a one off party he was having.
Later I noted the "do not disturb" notice on the "revellers" door so I worried he was resting up for another nights drinking and noise. On checking with the hotel management again I found the reveller was known to the hotel and a regular visitor who was having a "one off" celebration.
Whether it was a "one off" celebration I do not know. All I know is that an extremely noisy contingent of people were allowed to disturb guests by someone who frequently stays at the hotel and is known to hotel staff.
If this incident had happened earlier on our stay our review would have been different as up to that time we had an enjoyable restful time in a large two roomed king bed configuration.
The breakfasts are good for free fare although the eating area is far too small and cramped.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KenTripUK
Colin R, General Manager at Residence Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and would extend my regret that one of our long stay guests was unusually noisy celebrating a special occasion. I am so sorry that this disrupted your evening & do hope it did not deter your stay with us too much. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.
Our guest’s satisfaction is most important and we normally address noise issue promptly. Many thanks for your understanding & so glad to hear the rest of your stay had been pleasant.
Kind regards.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Edinburgh

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Friendliest staff! Champagne waiting in our suite, and suite it was! Lots of space, great rooms. Central location and very modern. Wonderful A+, would love to visit again! They cared about us and our business and was a great highlight to our trip.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a nice hotel and very typical of other Marriott Residence Inns. However, it was overpriced compared to other hotels we've stayed in. The location was good and in walking distance of the main attractions.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrisnewyork
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My sister-in-law and I just visited the Residence Inn in Edinburgh for a week and loved it. The service and staff were incredible. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are modern with lots of room. Having the breakfast included (and it was a great full breakfast each day) was a bonus. The Quartermile area is very nice and quiet yet accessible to everything. Good thing a Starbucks is nearby since the only downside of Scotland is that many venues (including Residence Inn) serves instant coffee! Would highly recommend Residence Inn to anyone coming to Edinburgh!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here with my wife during our recent trip to Scotland. The hotel is very new and conveniently located right next to the University of Edinburgh. While I'm sure there are much more luxurious hotels in the area, for what it is, I don't think you can beat this hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, the entire property is very clean and well kept, and the room was exactly what you'd expect for a Residence Inn. This is one of the nicest Marriott properties I've visited. If staying in Edinburgh, I would return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I agree with the last reviewer regarding the rooms.We had a suite which was very spacious both in the bedroom and the lounge/kitchen area but the "bathroom" consisted of a shower and toilet and measured about 6ft by 4 ft in total, so there was hardly any room to dry yourself off after a shower. The washbasin was outside the "bathroom" which seemed very strange as this did not afford any privacy.The hotel designers could have made the "bathroom" 3 or 4 times the size and there would still have been plenty of space overall for the bedroom lounge and kitchen.
However the staff were very good and the hotel is in a good location not too far from the city centre and close to a large park area so I probably would still consider staying there again but it could be so much better with a larger "bathroom".

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hotel has a number of design issues - wash basin in room, bathroom too small with its light effecting bedroom, rug on fllor dangerous as slides as you walk on it, breakfast area too small for size of hotel plus cost was very high for the quality when compared with stays in other Marriott hotels eg Leeds.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nick R
Colin R, General Manager at Residence Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments about your stay at the Residence Inn Edinburgh.
It is unfortunate the building, originally built in 2008 as apartments, could not be amended to better accommodate our guests. Marriott would like to cater for the needs of all our guests and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations to the full on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.