“Very disappointed”

Stay Edinburgh City Apartments - Royal Mile
Isle of Arran, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Very dingy block ,3 steep flights of stairs , Dirty stairwell and no warning about stairs ! Tiny bathroom that would have been near impossible to shower in . Did'nt feel safe as you didn't know who was coming and going . Ok for a couple of lad's for a break ! But definitely wouldn't recommend for families or more mature couples ! Sofa very uncomfortable and Tv no reception ! Glad it was only 1 night !

Room Tip: Make sure you are fully fit and able bodied to climb 3 very steep flights of stairs .
4 Thank Abby446

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights last week. When we arrived we were told that we were in the penthouse apartment 5 flights of stairs up. My 67 year old Mother nearly had a heart attack (!) When we finally got to the top of the steep stairs the apartment that greeted us was fantastic. Clean, new, large, homely. We really could not fault this apartment. It had a double bed in the bedroom, a large new bathroom complete with shower gel, shampoo, handwash, handcream. Plenty of towels. We were given a complimentary fold up bed in the living room as my Mother and I didn't want to share a double bed. The kitchen was spotless complete with everything you could need in a self catering kitchen including tea, coffee, sugar and little milks in the fridge. We loved the apartment. It was perfectly positioned on the Royal Mile for the Castle and the Palace. Plenty of bars & restaurants nearby to choose from and only a 10 min walk from the shops of Princes Street and the train station. I only have 2 niggles about this place. Firstly the stairs. But we took our time and every flight of stairs had a breather. Also, as I had to sleep in the living room - the windows were very thin - sash windows. I could hear EVERYTHING during the night. Noise from the street and the cathedral clock every single hour. BUT the window in the bedroom was double glazed so unless you are planning on sleeping outside the bedroom you'll be fine. To sum up. Great location, great apartment. Would thoroughly recommend but next time I would have a lower floor, two bed apartment.

Room Tip: Check before you book which floor you are to be put on if you have mobility issues
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here on 21/11/13 overnight with my wife, 2&1/2 year old and 10 month old.

The key collection is in the shop next door and we were checked in quick as a flash.

Location right on the Royal mile and a 5-6 minute walk from the the train station meant it was really straightforward on foot with two little ones in tow.

Once inside, the apartment was high spec, clean & spacious. Think we were upgraded from a one bed to a two bedroom apartment as it was free, but I feel even the original one bed we booked would have proved ample.

After an excellent day in the zoo, we dumped the buggy in the apartment and ate across the road in Garfunkels. The waiters were courteous and great with the kids. Would recommend the chicken ceasar pizza.

Kids settled no problem and it was lovely to have them in bed, but also have a separate living room to chill out in front of the tv with a glass of wine and chocolate.

Just missed out on the Christmas Markets as they started on that Friday evening but they'll be well up and running by now.

Would also recommend lunch in The Dome on George Street. The place is done up like a classy Christmas grotto and my eldest daughters eyes lit up when she walked. Get there before 12:30 otherwise you might have to queue. Prices are reasonable if you eat light and worth every penny for the service and the experience.

All in all I couldn't fault our stay, particularly due to the convenience of the apartment. Superb value and a great and easy way to visit this beautiful city with a young family.

• Stayed November 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had my own apprehension when I booked this one-room apartment but when I was led to the unit by the very friendly Harvey, I knew I was going to like it. Not only is the apartment located smack right in the middle of the Royal Mile in the historic part of the town where all the action is, it is well equipped and spotlessly clean. Made me and my family wished we could stay longer than the 2 nights we booked. Only snag was the tight spiral staircase to the unit, especially when you are lugging a big and heavy luggage. But the nice folks accommodated my request for a unit a the lowest level and so it wasn't bad at all.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at the lowest level if you are lugging a lot of luggage.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I based in this one bedroom apartment in High St Edinburgh, during a recent 3 week holiday in Scotland. I stayed 3 times at Staycity, a total of 8 nights, as a base between tours. I found the service from the apartment managers very thorough and prompt - they dealt with my few requests immediately and replied to emails very quickly , and were helpful with storing and carrying luggage. The flat was a bit less than I had hoped from the website description. It was very central and quiet, the bedroom was large with a large comfortable bed, and the kitchen adequate. The bathroom and lounge were tiny and squashy, would have been uncomfortable with 2 sharing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I believe in providing honest feedback on this site to enable others to make informed choices about accommodation, attractions, restaurants etc and unfortunately this is the first time I have ever rated something 2.
We were quite excited about this accommodation when booking especially given it was to be on the Royal Mile. We did understand prior that Edinburgh was quite hilly & we did read on the website that most Apartments did involve a few stairs to get to them however.....3 steep floors/ flights & 60 steps later, not what we expected. We also realise now that 1 bed apartment doesn't mean you get a lot, well we didn't anyway.
In our honest opinion the apartment was not what was advertised & we have included pictures for others to see( this apartment is not on the website). Given the smallness of the Kitchen/meals/lounge & bedroom they may as well knock down the adjoining wall & make it into a studio apartment/ bedsit, you would end up with more room. We booked an apartment so we could have some space after 19 days on the road & in reality we should have just booked a hotel room (we checked into one on our final night just to get away from this place).
Lets finish off the negatives, the provided hair dryer tripped the fuse plummeting the apartment into darkness, great fun trying to locate the fuse box in the dark. Washing machine did a great job but must have woken any "early to bed" people below when it was on spin cycle, the vibrations thru the floor were fantastic. Turning the heater fan on in the bathroom (freezing room) also trips the fuse but we found a way around this after day 1. Various fittings falling of the walls, unsafe wiring etc. Mis matched kitchen utensils, only 1 bowl for cereal in the morning, freezer was frozen over & stuck open. A list was left behind when we checked out a day early, doubtful anything has been attended to but hopefully they have.
Positives - good reliable wifi, view of the Castle from the bedroom window, late night entertainment from drunks wandering around the top of the mile, washing machine whilst noisy did a good job.
For the record, our "apartment" was on Upper Bow right across the road from the Hub Restaurant/ Café (great view from the toilet), look for the red door.

Room Tip: Regardless of how Management respond to this review, please use our review as a guide only for this...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellingScorp
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had such a lovely albeit short stay in Edinburgh. I had a little bit of difficulty finding it at first but if you follow the numbers on the doors you'll see it's quite easy to access the reception. I met Eve who showed me to the apartment next door and it was so clean and lovely. Full sized kitchen with proper appliances, two BRs and a bath. Chris was incredibly helpful as I had a problem with my phone and wifi but he took the time to help me out as we know it's hard to travel without Internet! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there or recommend anyone else stay. The location is perfectly
Accessible to shopping, restaurants, the castle, and even Arthur's seat (bring hiking shoes). Thank you!!! Xx - Eve

• Stayed November 2013