“Definitely returning, 5 star.”
Review of Kanpai Sushi

Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Went for a Sunday night meal with my girlfriend, we are both big lovers of sushi and have sampled the good, the bad and the ugly in our native London. My girlfriend had read the reviews on tripadvisor for Kanpai and booked a table purely on the overwhelmingly positive reviews and recommendations.
We arrived 15 minutes early, but the waitress was charming and immediately sat us down. There was an overall a relaxed, chatty, informal vibe to the place. The nigiri was especially cheap compared to London prices and the octopus and salmon among the best i've had. My girlfriend proclaimed that the Surf Clam was the best she's ever had. And she's better versed in sushi than me.
A common complaint I have with the sushi outlets in London is that the service can at times be pushy, meaning that even though the food is very good, the atmosphere and experience can feel spoiled at times. There was no such complaint with Kanpai, the staff were courteous, and if I return to Edinburgh, I shall definitely be revisiting.

1  Thank Tom_Pears91

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My fav Sushi place anywhere. Delicious.

Great place for non sushi eaters to try, as so much of their stuff is actually cooked. Maybe that makes it non authentic, not sure, all i know is that it is really tasty.

Try the Dragon Roll, Grilled Salmon Maki and the Seared Tuna.

A little pricey, and not the best value but some good things are worth occasionally paying for.

I ate here a lot on a expenses, but if I were to go back with my wife I would definitely take her here and pay myself.

2  Thank bigchiefally
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Japanese food does not suit me, however I'm giving review for my overall experience here. Thumbs up for their service. As I am not very familiar with the food, the waiter kindly explain each food in the menu. Food ordered does not takes long to arrive. The atmosphere is very nice and calm. Oh, we also got a bowl of rice FOC! very kind. My friends agreed their food is good and authentic. Will recommend Japanese food lover to try.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I really enjoyed the entire experience at Kanpai. The decor and atmosphere proved relaxing, charming, and elegant. There were plenty of tantalising dishes on the menu, but not so many as to be cumbersome. We shared helpings of gyoza, the dragon roll, tuna maki, the soft shell crab roll and a soy sauce braised eggplant dish whose name escapes me. Everything we ordered looked and tasted amazing. I look forward to going again.

2  Thank sacchar0myces
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant for the second time at the weekend (as we stay quite far away). We just absaloutly love this place. The staff are so freindly and the sushi is just to die for. There just such a lovely atmosphere in this restaurant. We look forward to returning soon! .

1  Thank Laura1480968