“Comfortable, great rooms, very handy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of B+B Edinburgh

B+B Edinburgh
Ranked #15 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Aberdeen
“Comfortable, great rooms, very handy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Welcoming staff and a grand Victorian entrance hall gave a great first impression which carried through to the rooms. Decorated simply with extremely comfy beds this was a great wee find in Edinburgh's West End. 10 mins has you in the Dean Gallery or Princes Street, 5 mins from Haymarket. Breakfast was tasty although porridge was undercooked. Staff very accommodating. Would definitely use again.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 1 - huge!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Orpington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

The hotel is well situated in a quiet crescent, but close enough to walk to the centre. As soon as you walk in you know you are somewhere special. The wonderful wood panelling and carvings, the library with its open fire (tea-making facilities next door) where you can kick your shoes off and unwind. A couple of downsides to get out of the way - the very stiff door locks and the even stiffer sash windows. That aside, the rooms are very clean, the bathroom immaculate. The beds are so comfy you could spend your whole trip there! The staff are polite and very helpful. My friends and I really enjoyed our stay and would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 19. It has a difficult dormer window, an unexpected step in the middle of the room, and...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank OrpingtonSylvia
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Got a Groupon deal for B+B Edinburgh and we were not disappointed. We arrived quite late in the evening which was a shame because there is so much in this place to savour, as other reviews show. The hotel is ideally situated close to the city centre but away from the hustle and bustle (especially useful during the tram works and festival season).

We got a room on the top floor with a fantastic view of the castle and the room itself was spacious, well-equipped and beautifully furnished. Being in a quiet residential area, there is no problem of noise, especially on the top floor, and the bed is very soft and cosy. However, even though it was early March, we had to leave the window open to keep the room cool, so this might be a problem in summer.

The breakfast was excellent, in the lovely dining room, with lots of choice for the continental (we didn't have any cooked) and high quality food. On reception and at breakfast, the staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome and appreciated.

One thing to bear in mind with this hotel, though, is the cost of parking. Although obviously outwith their control, and I'm sure it's a city-wide problem anyway, but at 2.20 per hour from 8.30 to 6.30 it can add quite a bit to the cost of the accommodation itself, especially if staying more than one night. I don't know if the owners could negotiate with the council to offer guest permits but it would certainly be worth paying for the peace of mind.

All in all, though, this is how B&B accommodation should be - we had a great night's stay and would certainly want to go back, especially if we got another good price!

Room Tip: The upper-floor rooms are smaller but have better city views
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed here with 6 friends, and we were all seriously impressed. We had two large rooms with three beds in each - both huge and impeccably clean with brilliant views over the city. We had tea in the gorgeous old library, and prosecco in the beautiful bar downstairs before heading out into town, ideal with the centre only a 10-15 min walk away. The breakfast was great too, with a buffet continental-style and cooked items available to order. The only thing I'd recommend avoiding would be the dubious "square sausage"!

This place is great value and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jennieee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night as a surprise treat for valentines. We had planned quite a bit to do round the city, all the touristy things couples do.

We arrived early in the afternoon and were met by a very friendly and polite employee who checked us in. The building was lovely and had a real charm about it. The room we stayed in was massive and in one of the upper floors. You could clearly see the castle only a short distance away. The decor was modern and the room very clean. We were very pleased. Breakfast in the morning was also very nice. I certainally got the impression that the staff go above and beyond the call of duty to please the customer.

I would highly recommend the B&B Edinburgh and would definetly stay there again. If I had any complaint at all and this would be completely nit picking the wifi doesn't work very well on the upper floors and may need a booster. Also the bed in the room was 2 single beds stuck together. This wouldnt of been an issue but one mattress was very soft and the other very hard. It really didnt spoil it for me as these arnt things that bother me when staying in a guest house. Please book here and hope you enjoy your stay as much as my girlfriend and i have.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Starlynx
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

A friend and I stayed here whilst in Edinburgh to watch the recent Calcutta Cup at Murrayfield. The B&B is absolutely superb and I will definitely recommend to family and friends. We had Room 2 which had a fabulous view. We had to turn the radiator down when we entered the room and it was so good to be in a hotel where you can actually control the temperture rather than be at the mercy of preset systems! The room was a good size and there was plenty of hanging space and drawers in the wardrobe.
The bathroom was a great size and the shower absolutely fantastic. One minor point in that the bathroom door didn't close properly.
We didn't stop off in the lounge for a drink but it looked very welcoming and if I happen to stay here again then I would make sure to have a relaxing drink there.
Breakfast in the morning was lovely with a good choice of fruit juice, cereals, yoghurts etc as well as a cooked breakfast tailored to your individuals needs. The staff did seem to be a bit run off their feet but the small wait we had before a table was available for us was not a big deal.
I will be looking at staying here the next time I am in Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AberdeenGirl1978
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed here for a night after watching the rugby.
I arrived way too early to book in meaning just to drop off my case but the receptionist checked, declared the room ready and checked me in straight away. Good start.
Location is great for the city's main spots and my room (16) had a lovely view towards the castle.
First impressions of the room were positive with lots of storage, a good sized telly and a functional toilet/shower room.
Looking around briefly the library was impressive and the whisky bar well stocked.
After watching the rugby and having the odd drink I found my way back and slept soundly.
Breakfast was reasonably varied. No kippers and slightly underdone square sausage were very minor drawbacks but that is really being picky.
Again the staff were friendly and managed to return to me a glove I had lost the previous night.
Overall the place was pretty good but bit expensive. If you can get a discount definitely stay here. If you can't give it serious consideration.

• Stayed February 2012