“TOTALLY RUINED BY DUTY MANAGER”
Review of B+B Edinburgh

B+B Edinburgh
Ranked #18 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I was looking forward to staying here as I’d read fairly good reviews, the website made it look attractive and it’s located in a very nice area of Edinburgh.

Upon arrival I couldn’t get in the front door, so I had to ring a bell. The duty manager came, opened the door and grunted “checking in?” Not the friendliest welcome I’ve ever had and so the theme continued. He said he preferred to keep the door locked. To me this seems quite bizarre. I know Edinburgh well but to anyone new to the city it would give the impression they had to keep the door locked to avoid criminal activity.

Anyway, I checked in, was given a very formal, unfriendly run-down of the establishment. I reach my room, a family room I booked a few months previously. On unlocking the door I found another resident in it. Both he and I were surprised to see each other. A bit of a hassle, but these things happen so I headed back down to reception. I explained to the duty manager that someone was in the room. His response was a breathtaking”Well nobody should be in that room, so I’m calling the police”. A bit over the top and somewhat alarming. He went up to check the room, returned two minutes later, started typing on his laptop and said nothing. Not a word. After a minute I said “so, what’s going on”? He replied “I’ve given someone your room by mistake”. It turns out someone had my family room instead of their own double room. Again, mistakes happen. The next thing I know is he is on the phone to the same guests telling them in such an aggressive manner that they must move immediately or he will charge their credit card extra for the upgraded room. His tone of voice was really threatening even though it was his error. He actually shouted “get out of the room now or I charge your card more”. In the end they must have said they would pay the extra money to keep the room. When he hung up I said I was quite happy to have their room if I received some form of discount. Failing to give me eye contact he said “maybe”. He started typing on his laptop again and I asked “what’s going on then?” He replied “I will look at a discount for you, perhaps £10 or £20 if you like”. I replied “twenty pounds would be fine” to which he said “well that’s not for you to decide”. That was the final straw. I asked him who was in charge (him apparently). I then asked where the general manager was. He said “in his flat, would you like to speak to him”? “Yes please as I’m quite shocked by your attitude”. He replied “my attitude is your opinion only”. So he called the general manager (Paul) who was there in about 30 seconds (his flat must be in the same building). I explained the situation to him. In all fairness Paul was helpful and I cannot fault him for his staff members’ appalling lack of professionalism. He sorted out a discount for me and said he would also contact the other guests “in our room” to offer his apologies.

So, half an hour after we entered the premises, we were in our room. The room was fine, a bit small and in fairness probably more of an upmarket Travelodge than a boutique B & B. Perhaps the room we should have had was better. The building is stunning, if a little soulless.

The rest of our stay was trouble free. Breakfast was good and if it wasn’t for the disaster at the start my stay would have been perfect.

Paul (the general manager) asked to see us before we checked out. He offered us his apologies once again and said that the duty manager in question was on probation and that he’d had complaints about him in the past.

So, in summing up. I give a low score purely because of the initial experience. Would I stay again? No, but only because of the drama encountered. Also, I’d like to reiterate that the general manager handled the situation well and it’s a shame that one member of staff has let him and his property down.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tony M
Paul A J H, General Manager at B+B Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

The Duty Manager in question was indeed working his initial probationary period of employment with the Hotel. Needless to say he's not been successful and there will be no further incidents like this in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We recently stayed for 4 nights in B+B Edinburgh. We arrived from a 16-hour connecting flight at around 930am but the room was not yet ready. The day manager was kind enough to allow an early check in. While the room was being prepared, she suggested that we help ourselves with tea and biscuits in the library. Turned out, the hotel has complimentary, coffee, tea and biscuits available for guests 24/7! We got a large room with 2 queen beds in the 3rd floor with a nice view of the surrounding neighborhood. We were quite surprised considering the price we paid (less than £200/night for a triple). We were in for more surprises the folllowing day with the full Scottish breakfast that came with the room, hot cooked meal and with many choices. The service was
excellent and would like to make special mention of the front desk managers who were very helpful in arranging for taxi service and other travel needs. Highly recommend this hotel for a visit to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Ask fir higher floors
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I just got back from one week with my 75-year-old mother, 7-year-old son and adult sister at this lovely hotel in Edinburgh. We didn't have great weather while we were there, so this was a situation where if the hotel hadn't have been really nice, we all would have driven each other crazy! The hotel is a former mansion and has been renovated very nicely (check their website for current pictures--some of them on TripAdvisor are out-of-date). The lobby is very nice with a bar and gorgeous breakfast room. The breakfasts were generous, fresh, and tasty. There is a grand sweeping staircase that leads to my favorite room, the wood-paneled library with hundreds of books for the borrowing. The library was the perfect spot for us to take some time to ourselves outside our room to sip tea or coffee or play cards. They have a large cappuccino maker which we could use at any hour, great for recovering from jetlag. The room itself was spacious and clean with fantastic views down to charming old buildings and a rushing river. It had a new soaking bathtub (no wall around it but we didn't care) and a convertable couch in front of a flatscreen TV. Beds were very comfortable and there were also two armchairs and two desks. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. I would definitely stay there again or at their property in London.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Lovely, comfortable, clean and good breakfast ( and I do mean good). Tiny elevator got us to 4th floor. It was a bit noisy at night from traffic but we knew exactly where we wanted to be so no complaints. This West end hotel suited us perfectly but understandably they are making the most of the season. June/July are definitely London prices in Edinburgh, anything less pricey is less good and vice versa but this is as good as most of us require and very comfortable in every respect

Room Tip: Some rooms overloook the main roads and others don't !
1  Thank Bugsie M
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Due to the ongoing tramworks on Shandwick Place, a few streets away from us, there have been one or two bus routes redirected past the Hotel. This has resulted in a slight increase in traffic noise. The situation is temporary and we hope to be back to normal soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at this small hotel. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the city. It was an easy walk to the centre and a quiet location. The room was very adequate and clean. The bathroom was also clean, although a bit awkward. The hot breakfasts were very good and the service friendly. One day we had to leave for a tour before the breakfast room opened and the staff kindly opened the room early so we could have a cold breakfast before we left. The concierge desk was very friendly and helpful. I recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Positives: Great location, quiet street but only 10 minutes walk from the main attractions. Great full Scottish breakfast. Nice library.

Negatives: Lacking any warm feeling or cosiness, more like a Travel Lodge atmosphere. Smallest room I have ever stayed in with a low, sloping ceiling that my partner and I kept banging our heads on. Queen sized bed so my partner´s feet stuck out at the end. We found heaps of dust behind the bed and on top of the wardrobe.

Overall, we were disappointed and grateful to only be staying one evening.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Fantastic views from the room over the World Heritage Site of the New Town. Very central location allows for a walk to Princes Street in around 10 minutes, well placed to access Haymarket station in 5 minutes.

Very wide selection at breakfast and incredibly comfortable rooms. Top Marks!

Room Tip: If you can ask for a room with a view to the back of the property you will get a really nice view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple