All reviewsdean villagebeautiful librarysquare sausagefamily suitefirst floororiginal featureswest endtop floorbreakfast roomprinces streetcooked breakfastwithin walking distancequiet neighborhoodhaggiscoffee machineplenty of hot waterfull scottish breakfast
Reviewed 23 January 2011

My boyfriend and I found a great deal online so booked up straight away. We weren't expecting anything too plush because of the price and also the photos show that the hotel isn't too modern (they have kept a dated fashion to suit the building).

The reception is quite dark and gave me the feeling that we were in some of horror film but it was very quaint. The reception desk is tucked round the corner which I thought was sweet.

We stayed in the four poster bed room which was lovely, again dated but lovely. The sheets were clean, as was the bathroom. The sink is in the main room next to the bathroom but adds to the character of the whole hotel. The room was quite and warm (just make sure you turn the radiator up). We were doing cartwheels in the room, so that shows how spacious it is!!

The breakfast was amazing! We were slightly hungover so needed a good hearty breakfast and that is what we got. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

One thing you MUST do if you stay there...have a look at the library in the hotel, you will feel like you have just discovered a secret room! It really is worth a look.

Location is great. 3 minute walk to the West End (cool shops, bars and restaurants) and a 10 minute walk to the main shopping strip.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. One downside is the parking. We went on a Saturday and the parking is free AFTER 6.30 and all day Sunday but is £2.00 per hour before that right outside the hotel. The hotel do offer alternatives that are free but a 10 minute walk away.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LouBennison
Reviewed 6 December 2010

My wife, daughter, and I were stranded in Edinburgh because of snow- no flights in or out of the airport for 4 days. It was a pretty stressful situation to be in with a 16-month old. We were directed to the Melvin House from the airport, and from the moment we arrived, we were put at ease by the fantastic staff, in particular a gentleman named Paul. He gave us advice on where to eat and what to see, so that we could make the most of our time there. The hotel itself is beautiful- stone steps, carved wooden stair rails, and in a quaint location, as well. It was a mere two block walk until we reached shops and restaurants. The staff was very accommodating (we were constantly calling to re-reserve the room, because our flights kept getting canceled), and never once made us feel that we were putting them out. If we ever get back to Edinburgh, we will absolutely stay with them again. Give the Melvin House Hotel a try, and you won't regret it!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. It is quiet and yet so near Princes Street . Depending on the Room, there are exclellent views of the Castle, Dean Village and the Forth. If one cannot sleep, there is always the views of 'planes arriving. Breakfast is good, there is plenty of choice and times are just right. It is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I was astounded at the graciousness of the staff, the hospitality of the who worked there and the breakfast was wonderful.. I absolutely adored it and would strongly recommend it to the single traveler. They were so helpful, offered suggestions and just generally wonderful.. Great part of Edinburgh also; close to the Dean Village.. I will stay there again when, and not if I return. :)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is our second visit to this most delightful small hotel to say it is a bed and breakfast is an injustice. The breakfast is delightful nothing you could wish for is missing from the breakfast table. The management team and staff are most attentive and we certainly look forward to our next visit. I'm sure you will not be disappointed with a stay at this charming location. May also add along with other reviewers it is close to most places of interest whilst still being in a most select area of Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple