“Did exactly what it said on the tin”
Review of St Bernards House

St Bernards House
Ranked #340 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Did exactly what it said on the tin”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We booked the room through laterooms.com for £32 a night so where not expecting much. We where informed of the additional £5 per person for breakfast which as neither of us are big in to cereals which was all that was on offer thought this was overpriced and not what we would be wanting on a night away breakfast.

The room we where in was room 2 which was on the top floor with no lift and 3rd floor thank goodness we only had a small number of bags and mainly of the rucksack variety. Our toilet facilities where shared and outside room 4. The B&B (not hotel!!) is in a nice quiet area of Edinburgh 20-30 minute saunter from the main bus and train station at St James centre. Our room was definitely not one for anyone taller than 5’ 6” as the ceiling had a very large slant to it. The lady who booked us in was pleasant not overly helpful but not pushy for the breakfasts or such.

We were informed of the no curfew how to open the front door with the second key check out being 11am which is normal in the Scottish hotels and B&B’s we have stayed in unless you have paid for the late check out which was available here although we did not need it this stay.

The room itself was tidy nice comfortable bed SMALL wardrobe which for a 2 day stay was perfect for our suit, dress and such. The number of plugs (free to use) and the availability of WI-FI at £3 a day was useful although slightly expensive.

Other than Check in and Check out we didn’t see the staff our room was not cleaned during our stay although we did only stay for the the 2 nights not sure of the B&B policy on this. The bed was not turned down etc

We where looking for a cheap nice clean place to stay for a couple of nights in Edinburgh for a romantic meal and trip to the Zoo this definitely cover that wouldn’t stay again as a first choice but would consider it as you get exactly what you pay for if you get it on a deal.

Room Tip: High number rooms are on the Lower floors room 10 is on the ground floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Tetbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

OK so the room was priced at £45 for the night and a continental breakfast was a £5 option which I did not take, so my expectations were not high. Check in was fine and the staff pleasant if not overly welcoming. The room - number 7 - was on the first floor to the rear of the property. Two bedside lights hanging off the wall and the curtain was also hanging off its rail. A shame as simple things housekeeping should have attended to. The room was clean as was the bathroom. Bed clean and crisp as well and comfortable. For a cheap sleep in Edinburgh this place is just fine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

A decent B&B to stay in the Edinburgh. Fair location, old building with high ceilings. The facilities are ok but the heating is turned off at times and it was cold at the basement. The wifi is claimed to be free but turn out to be 3 pounds a day. Checkout time is at 11:00 which is bit too early. Other things are fine and nothing more.

However, the customer service is a nightmare. I booked this hotel on booking.com 40 days before my stay. They claim to have free cancellation policy but in fact they charge you full price before your stay. That was not a big issue for me as I was going to stay there anyway. However, 30 days before my stay, due to change of plan I made modification on my reservation via booking.com so I only stay for two nights intead of four. So the hotel should refund me the price of two nights as they charged me four nights and this was also confirmed by booking.com. However, I have not received any refund whatsoever. I thought it would take a while before the refund actually took place until I reached the hotel after a month and found out that they did not refund at all. Even at that point I thought alright its fine you forgot about it and it was not too late to do so now. I was wrong again! Instead of refunding me, they somewhat mistakenly charged me the amount. They realised this and did refund twice because they were meant to refund me. But they tried to conceive the fact that they have mistakenly charged me by just handing me one receipt of the refund until I found out myself. This was absolutely intolerable as I did not have much money in my account at the moment and the refund could take ages so this could actually ruin my holiday. Yet all I received was some insincere apologies and nothing more!

After all the hotel itself is fine but do take extra cares when dealing with its staff.

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Although the attitude of the staff is nice, the room design is really problematic. Other people's toilet is in your room, right in front of your bed. If psychologically uncomfortable is not a big issue, whenever your dear neighbour use the toilet, the super loud sound will be your new alarm. If they don't turn off the light of the toilet, the fan's sound will make you headache for the whole night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed here for a few nights after bank holiday, few things:
Maids left the room unlocked and door open after going into clean it in which they never even emptied bins or took rubbish! Appaling when we come back late at night to find the door unlocked!
no staff around to speak to anyone! Just a contact number on the door go ring.
very small rooms! I mean tiny storage space, bathroom was meant to be an en suite but was actually a box in the room added on, with no room to swing a cat!
loaction was okay, no noise apart from a very noisy baby screaming at 5am! In which the parents onviously did nothing about! with no care to other guests at the b&b.
No lifts! Had to carry cases up 2 flights of stairs! And staff didnt offer to help at all!
so I wouldnt reccommend it st the moment until the hotel sorted out the rooms, lift & noises!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was required to travel to Edinburgh for work at short notice and due to the festival this was the cheapest room I could find . It was perfectly comfortable and adequate for an overnight stay. First impressions of the guest house weren't that great, as I had to ring the bell about three times to get in, and was greeted by an attendant who was polite but I got the impression my arrival was something of an inconvenience for her (same when I left). Didn't exactly result in warm fuzzy feelings about the place after a 4 hour train journey! The entrance and stairs are a little shabby. I was in room 7 which was sweet with high ceilings, a lovely fireplace, a view overlooking a little garden and it was spotlessly clean. However it was really small, with little storage and an en suite unit had been built as part of the room, which made it seem even smaller (great to have ensuite though obviously - and it had a nice shower and like the room was spotlessly clean). The curtains didn't close properly and whilst the bed was a bit harder than I like, it was perfectly comfortable for one night. The guest house is in a quiet street and the area surrounding proved nice for a stroll around, as I didn't want to go into town. I did not encounter any of the noisy plumbing as mentioned by other reviewers.

Last time I stayed overnight for work in Edinburgh it was in one of the Travel lodges and whilst St Bernard's House wasn't perfect, it was preferable to the soulless rooms the TL have to offer. I would stay here again, if the price was right, but probably not for any longer than a night. Certainly no longer in room 7.

Room Tip: Room 7 is very quiet, though also very small. I don't have any knowledge of any other rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Okay, first about positive things. The B&B is situated in a lovely green area next to one of the most expensive streets in Edinburgh. There is a beautiful park just next to the hotel and the walk to the city centre is fairly short (15 minutes). The house itself is quite atmospheric - you can literally feel the old vibe there - very tall ceilings, nice decorations, for those who love history and old traditions - they will certainly like it. Also it is clean and pleasant. Now, there are certain drawbacks that did affect our stay after all. First, we had a long story with the hot water, to be more exact the lack of it. We didn't have it for two days (out of 4), and had to go to speak to management every time we wanted to have a shower so they could "turn it on". They explained that the pipe was broken but promised it would work. There is no reception as such, so you have to call the staff from downstairs and they come. The staff was quite average in communication, I wouldn't describe them as extremely helpful. They made us feel as if we were bothering them and the hot water issue was not their fault really. Hmm .. is that the way it should be? After two days of attempts to fix the hot water they agreed to change our room which did have hot water so this problem was solved. Still, it did affect our stay sadly. Among other things, room number 6 is extremely small and the toilet makes a crazy sound after you flush it. So, on the whole, it was a contradictory experience. The place is good but the staff could have been more welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends