“I wouldnt recommend this hotel”
Review of St Bernards House

St Bernards House
Ranked #350 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Been in this hotel with my friend. Room been good size, we had garden view, room looked clean and shower been clean, but why my review not great -because for me very important to have good sleep, we had a boiler in our room and its been very noisy, also we had a reception guy as a neighbour in next room and it smells like food ouside room,also location we have been offered breakfast but we decided not to have it in hotel , so i cant say anything about food.if you like long walks then maybe this place is for you, but we luckuly stayed only one night in this guest house and then other night spent in hotel right in center, we liked central location much better.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for St Bernards House

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The B&B is situated a 15minute walk from the city centre, in an attractive residential area. Lots of eating places and small supermarkets within 2 minute walk. We had a 6 hour journey to get to the B&B and so was disappointed to be met on arrival with no apparent record of our booking - however a quick phone call by reception soon sorted this out. Breakfast was basic - continental style- a little underwhelming for the £5 extra charge. However, our overall feeling was that the room was clean, comfortable and just what we needed for a base for us to crash in for two nights over the new year. We had a great trip and would certainly return.

Room Tip: Perhaps opt for a room not in the basement if you plan to spend any time there and want a lighter ro...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma O
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This small guest house on a quiet residential street, far exceeded my expectations. It's a shortish walk to the Princes St. and central attractions, and there is a bus stop virtually in front of it, with other bus stops nearby. There are stores (including a supermarket) and places to eat just steps away. I was greeted at the reception desk by a charming and very helpful young woman from Spain. In general I found staff very friendly. My room, on the top floor (two flights up) had a pleasant view over the garden in back, and got no street noise. The room itself was freshly painted and tastefully decorated, the bed was very comfortable, the modern en suite bathroom had a shower with plenty of hot water and great water pressure. I've stayed in other B&Bs in Scotland, so I was very pleasantly surprised. Edinburgh is a wonderful city, and it has exceptionally good bus service. I found people everywhere friendly and helpful. One of my favorite cities to visit.
I should perhaps add that this is a low-key guest house, nothing fancy, no bells and whistles and no one to fawn on you, so if a quiet, clean, friendly place does not meet your requirements, this might not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Better view from the top floor. Get a room in the rear, overlooking garden. Some rooms have a shared...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We booked the room through laterooms.com for £32 a night so where not expecting much. We where informed of the additional £5 per person for breakfast which as neither of us are big in to cereals which was all that was on offer thought this was overpriced and not what we would be wanting on a night away breakfast.

The room we where in was room 2 which was on the top floor with no lift and 3rd floor thank goodness we only had a small number of bags and mainly of the rucksack variety. Our toilet facilities where shared and outside room 4. The B&B (not hotel!!) is in a nice quiet area of Edinburgh 20-30 minute saunter from the main bus and train station at St James centre. Our room was definitely not one for anyone taller than 5’ 6” as the ceiling had a very large slant to it. The lady who booked us in was pleasant not overly helpful but not pushy for the breakfasts or such.

We were informed of the no curfew how to open the front door with the second key check out being 11am which is normal in the Scottish hotels and B&B’s we have stayed in unless you have paid for the late check out which was available here although we did not need it this stay.

The room itself was tidy nice comfortable bed SMALL wardrobe which for a 2 day stay was perfect for our suit, dress and such. The number of plugs (free to use) and the availability of WI-FI at £3 a day was useful although slightly expensive.

Other than Check in and Check out we didn’t see the staff our room was not cleaned during our stay although we did only stay for the the 2 nights not sure of the B&B policy on this. The bed was not turned down etc

We where looking for a cheap nice clean place to stay for a couple of nights in Edinburgh for a romantic meal and trip to the Zoo this definitely cover that wouldn’t stay again as a first choice but would consider it as you get exactly what you pay for if you get it on a deal.

Room Tip: High number rooms are on the Lower floors room 10 is on the ground floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

OK so the room was priced at £45 for the night and a continental breakfast was a £5 option which I did not take, so my expectations were not high. Check in was fine and the staff pleasant if not overly welcoming. The room - number 7 - was on the first floor to the rear of the property. Two bedside lights hanging off the wall and the curtain was also hanging off its rail. A shame as simple things housekeeping should have attended to. The room was clean as was the bathroom. Bed clean and crisp as well and comfortable. For a cheap sleep in Edinburgh this place is just fine.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

A decent B&B to stay in the Edinburgh. Fair location, old building with high ceilings. The facilities are ok but the heating is turned off at times and it was cold at the basement. The wifi is claimed to be free but turn out to be 3 pounds a day. Checkout time is at 11:00 which is bit too early. Other things are fine and nothing more.

However, the customer service is a nightmare. I booked this hotel on booking.com 40 days before my stay. They claim to have free cancellation policy but in fact they charge you full price before your stay. That was not a big issue for me as I was going to stay there anyway. However, 30 days before my stay, due to change of plan I made modification on my reservation via booking.com so I only stay for two nights intead of four. So the hotel should refund me the price of two nights as they charged me four nights and this was also confirmed by booking.com. However, I have not received any refund whatsoever. I thought it would take a while before the refund actually took place until I reached the hotel after a month and found out that they did not refund at all. Even at that point I thought alright its fine you forgot about it and it was not too late to do so now. I was wrong again! Instead of refunding me, they somewhat mistakenly charged me the amount. They realised this and did refund twice because they were meant to refund me. But they tried to conceive the fact that they have mistakenly charged me by just handing me one receipt of the refund until I found out myself. This was absolutely intolerable as I did not have much money in my account at the moment and the refund could take ages so this could actually ruin my holiday. Yet all I received was some insincere apologies and nothing more!

After all the hotel itself is fine but do take extra cares when dealing with its staff.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Although the attitude of the staff is nice, the room design is really problematic. Other people's toilet is in your room, right in front of your bed. If psychologically uncomfortable is not a big issue, whenever your dear neighbour use the toilet, the super loud sound will be your new alarm. If they don't turn off the light of the toilet, the fan's sound will make you headache for the whole night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple