The Place
US$375
US$334
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
  • Room Service
US$245
US$221
  • Pool
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$152
1,133 results
All reviewsno liftyork placetop floorvelux windowdouble showerbasement roomhuge roomlovely hoteltram linesuperior roomboutique hotelprinces streetcentral locationmain attractionsstayed here for one nightfull scottish breakfasttea coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2012

So I booked into this hotel on the basis of the reviews I read here. I e-mailed the management in advance as this was a special trip for my hubby and I and I wanted it to be perfect. When we got there the staff were lovely, friendly and interested in us and our stay. The lady on the front desk pulled out a map for us and after a few brief questions about what we are into highlighted a number of places to eat and go around the city. We had arrived early but our room was ready for us, so went up. The hotel was immaculate, clean to my exacting standards both stylish and modern.
The only drawback became apparent when we got to our room which was at the front on the hotel. York Place is in fact not a "place" but a pretty busy main road, and when I got to our room i found I could hear the traffic outside. My husband wasn't the least bit concerned, but i'm a light sleeper and on my first trip away from my 2 small children, I wanted guaranteed shut eye.
I called the front desk and explained my situation and that I was happy to take a smaller room if it meant I could move to the back of the hotel. I was a bit embarrassed but the lady was lovely and said she's find me something else. And oh my god did she. They moved us to a room that was bigger than the entire footprint of my house!! It was massive, beautiful and luxurious. The most incredible hotel room I've ever been in. The views were amazing and I slept like a log.

We stayed 3 nights and were out and about a lot and didn't actually spend much time in the hotel but when we were there the staff were lovely and chatty. The location was brilliant an easy walk to the shops, the local cinema and local bars and restaurants.

I loved this hotel, it was everything I had read and more. Go!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Gayleg612,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m delighted we we’re able to make your ‘special’ weekend everything you deserve; perfect!
I have two small children myself so I appreciate the importance, and rarity, of a weekend away with your loved one - without all the usual ‘joys’ of the children!
I trust you returned to the madness feeling relaxed and refreshed! I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.
All the best,

Reviewed 3 June 2012

If on a weekend trip and you get a room looking to main street below be ready for a noisy night, probably has no good sound barrier on windows and you even have to be careful with early morning sunlight, cannot block it completely and sleep undisturbed, that was the obvious negative; need to improve internet speed and extend use until day of departure, it has a 24hr access limit, which is bothersome. As positives.. excellent location, tv, bathroom, huge room, tea bag selection and service. Had breakfast outside.

alberto4409,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review.
I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep. A couple of months ago we had all our front facing windows re-sealed and draught proofed, which in some rooms reduced the ambient noise by up to 40%. Having had time to hear feedback from guests and observe we realise that, especially for lighter sleepers, we need to take further action. We are looking to install secondary double glazing over the next couple of months, which is a bit of a challenge as we are a grade one listed building on a world heritage site, but we’re working on it.
I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

That's exactly what I will describe this boutique hotel -lovely and delightful !
I booked the hotel after reading review here and I especially like those establishment where their Manager responded to the emails here.
This simply means, they made an effort.

I was here on the 24th-25th May.
I wished I had stay another night before heading back to London.

We arrived at 1030 am and was warmly greeted by the front office. He was a charming Scottish guy and I was glad that they managed to accommodate to an earlier check in time for me and my sis
Apart from that he suggested few tips on where to go and which tour to sign up for.

The room was lovely ..the only setback is, since this is an old building..there are no elevator and my room is on the fourth floor,
So please plan your trip carefully. This is not for the weaker knees !

On my last night there, the front office guy..another charming Scottish gave me a few suggestions on the best whiskey in town.
I truly enjoyed my stay here and I look forward to stay with the Place again,

If you are reading my review,.dont hesitate
Just stay with this charming hotel!

Regards
V

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are with elderly!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear vopuez,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience.
I’m pleased that you received such “charming” service from our team and that they were able to cater for your needs.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Perfect for getting around Edinburgh as major bus lines pass right in front of the hotel and the city center is an easy 15 min walk. The staff was energetic, attentive, and exceptionally helpful. They should coin these people and sent them to some of the other places we have stayed at. And management should be proud of the staff here.

Some of the cons; the hotel was very noisy. Not so much from city noise as we expierenced none in our room, but from the loud door bangs as they echo throughout the hotel. Management would be wise to alleviate that issue as door closing occur throughout the night. Personally I felt the room decor we stayed at was not particulary inviting. A bit spartan actually, but completely functional.

We did not sample the dining areas.

Dear Burl2846,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review.
Thanks for your kind words about the staff, they really are a credit to The Place and we are indeed very proud of them. They read every review and it is very pleasing that all their hard work is receiving such rave reviews!
I’m sorry you were disturbed by noise in the corridors, we thought we had resolved this issue but apparently some of our internal fire doors are still a bit noisy, so thank you for pointing this out. We are actively seeking a solution.
I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just home from a one night stay with my boyfriend at The Place. On arriving our room was ready 30 minutes early so we were able to book in. Our friends (staying at a different hotel, checking in later) were with us and The Place even offered to hold their bags untill we went to get something to eat in the town. The location is perfect, two minutes from Princes Street. The staff were more than friendly and helped us to our room with the bags. The barmaid was helpful with directions and we were able to leave our bags after checking out to go to the zoo for the day, where the bus stop was right across the road. The room was immaculate, spacious with a lovely rooftop view. The only thing I was disapointed in was not having a bath but the size of the shower made up for it. All in all we both had a great time and will return in the future!

1  Thank NatKelly
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear NatKelly,
Thank you for completing a review. I’m delighted you had such a “perfect” experience with us and hope you all enjoyed the zoo. Just to make you aware for your next visit; we have a selection of rooms with baths so if this is a preference please request when you book.
Hope it’s not too long before you’re next visit.