“A little noisy at night” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #114 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A little noisy at night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I didn't hate the place, but there were enough drawbacks that I can't give it more than two stars.

The good: Great location, very helpful front-desk staff, modern and cozy rooms.

The bad: (1) The hallways have what seem like firedoors every few rooms and (I assume) to prevent them from slamming whenever they are opened a strip of something was placed in the door jamb. The unfortunate side effect of this is that it makes a loud ripping/tearing sound that is startling when you're awake and enough to wake me up at night (I am a fairly heavy sleeper once I get to bed).

(2) Besides that, the bathroom - although it seemed nice enough and clean - had a shower drainage issue. It was bad enough that we had to turn off the shower mid-way and wait five minutes while the water level went down. I called the desk first thing in the morning to tell them and let them know we'd be gone all day and they said they would fix it. However, when we got back that evening there was no difference. Not such a big deal to me on its own, I most mostly calling for the next occupant of that room.

(3) Finally, the guy in the room next door to us snored. That's not the hotel's fault, but the rooms weren't too well insulated from sound (the weren't terrible in this regard, but we could hear a tv as well). On the positive side, I'll never forget a pair of earplugs when traveling again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear William_Walker24

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I think we explained previously that the fire-door design was imposed upon us by the authorities and have to be of that type for reasons of guest safety and fire prevention. Any other consideration is secondary although we are aware of the issue you raise. That particular type of door only exists in the long corridor on the lower ground floor, so can be avoided by booking a standard double or above.

Regarding the drainage issue, I am afraid that our friendly workmen outside the property, in their haste to complete the tram project, seem to have temporarily obstructed some of our drains. I am pleased to say that this has now been resolved and I apologise for any inconvenience.

Snoring and the above issues apart, you seem satisfied with your stay, if not wowed. We'd like you think you will re-visit at some stage and look forward to having a further opportunity to impress.

Neil Ellis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

The location of this hotel is really great. It looks like a few houses have been knocked together to make a larger hotel.
The reception staff are really great and helpful. This is also true of the bar team and serving staff. The decor is modern with some great light fittings that add interest. The hotel was very clean and tidy. The rooms are over several floors, but I saw no lift, and that was a bit of a worry as the stairs are steep up to the rooms.
The room I had was small and just about fitted the large double bed. The bathroom was also small, but very clean. The shower was ok, but the water pressure was low. When you have a great shower at home, anything else is a disapointing.

I would stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Benapollo

Thanks for taking the time to give your opinions on the hotel following your stay. Your comments regarding our staff are greatly appreciated and have been passed on to the team as a whole.

There is no lift at the hotel for several reasons, not least of which was our wish to preserve the architectural features of the building. This does mean of course that the rooms need to be accessed by climbing the stairs, so perhaps something to consider for the less infirm guests but otherwise good excercise and a worthwhile climb the higher you go in terms of the available views.

We look forward to your return visit. Thanks again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from a very relaxing overnight stay in The Place hotel. The room was large and spacious with a beautiful bathroom. I had hoped we would get this room from looking at the pictures on their site and was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately the gig we were going to was cancelled and we had no chance of a refund but, the relaxing atmosphere in the hotel made up for this. We did not have dinner in the hotel but it looked busy and we definitely will the next time we stay. Yes, we will definitely return very soon and recommend to others. The car park is a little difficult to get to but we were given directions from reception and even when we called they were still very helpful. This is due to the roadworks on York Place, no fault of the hotel. The staff are young, friendly and very helpful. Only know the name of the girl at reception, thank you Claire for your patience but, everyone else did a great job of making our stay as comfortable as possible. Breakfast is a MUST at this hotel and delicious too, both the Florentine and scrambled egg with smoked salmon were divine, also plenty of choice too. The only thing that could have made our stay better was larger toiletries or enough for two. We had a bath on arrival and a shower in the morning and there was only one small bottle of shower gel between us. Maybe an added bottle of bubble bath would be an option. This is only a small detail and this did not affect our stay whatsoever. Looking forward to my next stay already!!! Thanks again :)

• Stayed October 2012
Dear LolaMc4

Many thanks for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay. I am sorry that your event was cancelled but pleased that our efforts made your stay worthwhile despite that. You seemed to enjoy everything and that is the way we intended things to be.

I hope you will find the time to return some time in the future

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Staying at The Place made our first trip to Edinburgh all the more enjoyable. Set far enough away from the hustle and bustle but within short walking distance to the shops and bars, The Place was an ideal location for our Girls on Tour trip.The hotel is modern and appears to be small but once inside there are stairs that take you everywhere. Checking in came with advice on where to go and what to see, all staff were lovely. Arrived far to early and when eventually got back, found that our cases had been taken to our rooms - bonus! Rooms very clean but do vary in size. Will definetly visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Susan D

Very nice of you to take the time to review the hotel. Thanks for that. I am pleased that the team here stepped up to the mark yet again and provided the level of service that we insist upon and that our guests expect. I am hugely proud of them and have highlighted your comments in daily briefings. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again.

Vancouver, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

There is much to love about this hotel. The situation is convenient (yes, it is noisy but that is to be expected in a city hotel), the restaurant and bar are excellent, the young staff on the front desk and in the restaurant and bar were very friendly and helpful. Our room was big and light-filled with two huge windows. But the servicing of the room was poor, particularly over the weekend. There is absolutely no information provided in the room about hotel policies or services. There were no drawers to hold clothes and only a few coat hangers so it was impossible to unpack. The bed had no mattress cover, only a sheet which wasn't big enough to completely cover the mattress. There was a decorative panel on the end of the bed which was dirty and I finally asked for it to be removed but it was never replaced. There was a broken table which was not replaced or mended. Soap and shampoo were tiny and never replenished during a 4 day stay. The hotel is decorated to look like a boutique hotel but there were times it felt more like a cheap motel. If only it could all reach the standard of the restaurant and bar it would be excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room -- well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JGinWA
Dear JGinWA

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your stay. Our guest information is actually fairly comprehensive. It is accessed through the interactive television displays in each room. I am sorry that it was not made more obvious and we will have a look at that.

I have passed on your other comments to our housekeeping manager who will record and take action on the issues you raised in that respect.

I am sorry that you left with a poorer impression of the overall product than we would have wanted and hope you will re-visit at some stage and see that we have listened and addressed the points raised by yourself and other reviewers.

General Manager.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I was unable to make it to the hotel because of poor weather and the trains being cancelled. When I contacted the hotel they advised that I would be able to rearrange this but I would have to do this with the manager. When I contacted him he advised that I have lost my money as I have to give a weeks notice for any amendments to the booking. How am I supposed to know what the weather will be like a week before and also know that the trains would have been cancelled.

I have never experienced such poor customer service and would urge others to stay away from this place.

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank LBAL86
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear LBAL86

We are hugely disappointed with this review as we have made a very generous offer to you, at our own expense, as an entirely voluntary gesture of goodwill and which you accepted.

The fact is that you made a non refundable booking and tried to cancel it and obtain a refund at the last minute, well knowing that the terms and conditions do not permit this. We made no offer of a change of date or a refund and you were referred to our Reservations Manager so that he might help you to minimise your loss.

Although clearly the weather is not within our control and we cant be expected to lose money every time the weather is adverse, we made efforts to understand, sympathise and help your position as we would do for any guest despite your totally unwarranted public comments.

We strongly advise that guests do not make a non refundable booking unless they are prepared to accept the consequences of not being able to take up the booking for whatever reason.

Stephen McLay
Hotel Manager.
Merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

The place advertises itself as a boutique hotel. the rooms during the Edinburgh festival are approx £260 per night. The problem is that all the rooms on the road are VERY NOISY. It's a shame because some of the rooms are beautiful. There is no secondary glazing and the windows are huge. The buses run non stop on the road outside your room until about midnight and lots of people walk along the road talking laughing and singing throughout the night. If you don't intend or need much sleep then this is the hotel for you. Or if you don't mind noise at night then you will be fine. There are other small niggles such as the kitchen clock running 3 minutes fast so that when you leave it until the last minute for breakfast they say no. I saw another 3 sets of couples arrive after I had been refused breakfast and by then we had finished off what had been put out so they could only have the cereals. (Sorry guys!) (Missoni hotel edinburgh is fantastic when you leave it until the last minute for breakfast and usually serve even when you are late! ) Another niggle is that the rooms are not clean. Our friends opened the bathroom drawer cupboard and discovered lots of "hair" in it!! Also many of the staff seem inexperienced. Having said that the night staff are great! Shame about the day staff...although they did offer us earplugs! Our friends tried to move hotels and ended up moving rooms to a much much smaller room not on the road but at the time they were there could not be refunded the difference in price. Very expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the road which are noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear GillyMerseyside

Thanks for posting such an extensive review following your recent stay. We aim to take as much out of the more critical reviews as we do from the positive and glowing reviews.

I have to take issue with your assertion that we charge £260 for rooms in August. Without going into detail I can assure you and other readers that our average room rate for the festival period was way below that sort of level. If any reader would care to check our pricing for next August I am sure they will be pleasantly surprised by how competitive we are.

We do have the usual city centre quandary of good location versus street noise. The street outside is now closed to general traffic, and although there are still road works, the difference in the general noise at night now is significant.

I have to apologise for you being turned away on the cusp of breakfast finishing. I have personally adressed this with the department concerned and can assure you that this is not our normal policy. We do have to employ some kind of cut off time to prepare for later in the day, but you should not have been turned away.

I have no record of a complaint from your friends regarding the condition of their room. I have however drawn it to the attention of the head housekeeper.

We do have a fairly young team in the hotel. In some cases they have not previously worked in hotels. However our training programmes are intensive and we make sure that they gain on the job experience and get support as they go. You havent specified was in particular caused you concern regarding the day staff so I am not really at liberty to comment further, except to say that our most commonly noted good point in these pages relate to our staff.

It would be unfair to ask me to comment on your friends experience on a second hand basis although I would be more than happy to hear from them if any aspect of their stay was unsatisfactory to the extent they feel they would like a personal response

I am contactable at smaclay@yorkplace-edinburgh.co.uk

Stephen McLay