I didn't hate the place, but there were enough drawbacks that I can't give it more than two stars.
The good: Great location, very helpful front-desk staff, modern and cozy rooms.
The bad: (1) The hallways have what seem like firedoors every few rooms and (I assume) to prevent them from slamming whenever they are opened a strip of something was placed in the door jamb. The unfortunate side effect of this is that it makes a loud ripping/tearing sound that is startling when you're awake and enough to wake me up at night (I am a fairly heavy sleeper once I get to bed).
(2) Besides that, the bathroom - although it seemed nice enough and clean - had a shower drainage issue. It was bad enough that we had to turn off the shower mid-way and wait five minutes while the water level went down. I called the desk first thing in the morning to tell them and let them know we'd be gone all day and they said they would fix it. However, when we got back that evening there was no difference. Not such a big deal to me on its own, I most mostly calling for the next occupant of that room.
(3) Finally, the guy in the room next door to us snored. That's not the hotel's fault, but the rooms weren't too well insulated from sound (the weren't terrible in this regard, but we could hear a tv as well). On the positive side, I'll never forget a pair of earplugs when traveling again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located close to the Playhouse Theatre and the city’s fashionable shopping district, The Place is perfect for a relaxing city break in Edinburgh, a romantic weekend or an escape from the stresses of corporate life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotel.de, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Superbreak UK so you can book your The Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Place Edinburgh, Scotland