“The Place is THE PLACE!”
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #111 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“The Place is THE PLACE!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here recently as part of the hotel's promotion for the Lion King and were absolutely delighted!

After a less than 10 minute walk from Waverly Station we received a warm welcome at The Place. We were early and our rooms weren't ready but the kind staff provided us somewhere to freshen up and when we returned we found our bags had been taken to our rooms already. Its touches like these that really make your stay more enjoyable.

Our package was a theatre trip package to see the Lion King *(the Playhouse is a mere minutes walk from the hotel, ideally situated) for which we received EXCELLENT theatre seats, 2 nights in an Executive Room, breakfast each morning and a gorgeous 2 course pre-theatre meal. This was all terrific value for the service and standard of what we received - I honestly can't recommend this hotel enough!

The executive rooms were huge and spotlessly clean - cool modern decor mixed with traditional features - I loved it. There were 2 of us in each room and it would have comfortably accomodated 4. Beds were comfortable with cosy fluffy duvets (not crusty sheets as in the bulk of hotels) and pillows so good to sleep on I considered taking them! The shower was hot and powerful and the bathroom itself was VERY clean. Our room faced out onto York Place (yes there IS traffic noise on occassion but its the middle of Edinburgh what do you expect?) and our friend's room faced out the back of the hotel which was a beautful view of the New Town all the way to Leith. There are no lifts in The Place but going higher upstairs rewards you with a great view which makes the trek worth it.

The breakfast was a perfect mix of table and self service with cooked and continental options to suit. It was a lovely homely atmosphere. I cannot believe there are people leaving negative reviews that there was no bacon! I mean, really? There was an perfectly fine selection of hot breakfast food - sausage, tomato, black pudding, mushrooms, potatoe scones, smoked salmon, cooked ham and about 6 different types of egg plus all the continental options and pastries! Far too tempting!

Our pre-theatre dinner was gorgeous - taking place in the cosy, moodlily lit bar with an open fire. This was meant to be from a set menu which was quite 'posh' but we were told it was not a problem if we wanted to subsitute something from the normal menu to the relief of the fussy eater in our group! I had the Sea Bass and Mussels and it was absolutely beautiful. We all ordered different starters and mains and there was not one complaint between us.

I would ask you to please ignore the negative reviews on here for the most part as they are extremely unfair. Pity help these people if they ever have to stay at a budget hotel! I cannot stress enough how welcoming and kind the staff were to us on our stay - nothing was a problem and this is where The Place excels. Not to mention it is an absolute pleasure to stay there as it is so lovely.

However for me the crowning jewel of this hotel for me is the bar. Cosy with an open fire, gorgeous decor, comfy with soft sofas to relax on and with great service they have an excellent range of drinks - particularly the cocktails! I highly recommend you try a Smack the Goose when you visit!

Overall The Place is a great way to spend a relaxing weekend right in the heart of Edinburgh. Enjoy Edinburgh's best kept secret while you can! I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: For a great view, request a high up room facing out the back of the hotel - beautiful vistas across...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Broons B,
Many thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review.
Wow; what can I say really!? Thank you for all the kind comments – we’re absolutely delighted that your party had such a great time and we really appreciate all the compliments.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Northampton
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We very much enjoyed our trip to the Place and Edinburgh. The hotel is located in the New Town area, near to the bus station and about a 10 minute walk from Waverley train station. The location is great for exploring the new town and about a 20 minute walk to the Royal Mile.
The hotel seemed well kept and is housed in a beautiful Georgian building- be aware there is no lift! The staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and spacious, although the bathroom was a bit small and the shower lacked a decent amount of pressure.
Contrary to some of the recent reviews we found breakfast to be very enjoyable and plentiful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Megatron-Atkinson,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.
I’m pleased you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh and indeed your stay at The Place. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hotel looks nice and is clean, however we were put in a room that was under the entrance in the basement, it was noisy at night, especially people coming back to the hotel & the bathroom had mould in the shower (loads of it)
Good tea and coffee facilities, we felt that despite needing to stay in Edinburgh for an extra night, due to the storm impact in London, we have moved to a different and nicer hotel that cost us less.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Lyn P

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I have to assume that you received the room type you booked. We make it clear in our marketing where those rooms are located so, whilst I am sorry if that turned out not be to your liking, it was a room choice you made. Being a fairly large city centre hotel we have a fair amount of internal and street noise, much more than you would find at home probably but no worse than any other city centre hotel. I am sorry and disappointed that you felt the need to move to another hotel. I am quite sure we could have helped you gain satisfaction at our hotel had you approached the reception staff or the duty manager.

Kindest Regards

Stephen McLay
Hotel Manager
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Even on a deal we found this hotel expensive for what was on offer. We only found out on the first morning breakfast that they do not serve pork...so no bacon and beef sausages as alternative. Very limited choice....Apple and melon as fruit offering... Cheese slices and a few slices of pink something....cheap watery yoghurt....make your own tea and coffee...no pots. On the second morning we all ordered eggs.....my husbands had still not appeared after an hour when myself and our two friends had all finished, despite asking many times what was the hold up...we were told the chef was not happy with the quality each time...but nothing appeared...I did not want to keep harassing the very busy understaffed waitresses...only two of them....so I went to the front desk...twice!...still nothing. My husband gave up and said he would just have breakfast without eggs to be told they had run out of food !!! He had toast! We were not charged for two of the three breakfasts but it was too little too late. That night when we got back we ordered brandy as a nightcap to be told they had run out of that as well!, we also had to ask for replenishment shower gel each day as one teeny tiny bottle was not enough for 3days...the beds were also very firm and most uncomfortable....even with the extra duvet I requested to be placed on the mattress. Lastly....very very small rooms and minuscule shower room with very grubby grouting. Won't be back!

Room Tip: Don't book if only basement available ....not good.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMB666
Dear JMB666

I have been given special dispensation to respond to this review as the majority of the issues raised are within my department.
Many thanks for taking the time to complete the review and giving us your feedback.
I was informed by our team on the day when you unfortunately had some issues during your breakfast, which I can only apologise for. Our breakfast service usually runs very smooth and we keep receiving very positive feedback from our guests.
On the day when we could not provide our best service we did run into a busy time on breakfast. This happens in all hotels when the majority of the guests come at the very same time, there is not much we can do to prevent this.
As far I am aware, all the members of our staff informed every guest upon arrival that all the items ordered from our menu would take a bit longer as they are all cooked to order. Beside the items available to order, we do have a satisfying selection of hot and cold dishes available from our buffet, I was rather surprised reading your comment about our selection being limited.
Regarding our fruit offering, our chefs make a fruit salad every day, only using the freshest and finest fruits- including pineapple, apple, pear, orange and so on - This we believe is for the convenience of our guests, all the fruits would be available individually for anyone requesting it.
I am also surprised to see your description “pink something” in your review, which I believe is our locally sourced, award winning smoked salmon, which has been positively commented on by many of our reviewers. You also commented on our yoghurt selection, which consists of a natural Greek yoghurt from one of the finest dairies around the area, and also a low calorie yoghurt in many different flavours as an alternative.
Regarding our hot beverage selection, we are proud to serve the product of the one of the finest, multi award winning coffee merchant around Scotland. We do offer a self-service coffee station with filter coffee and various teas for unlimited consumption included with every breakfast, in addition there is a wide range speciality coffees and loose leaf teas offered on our menu for a small supplementary fee. We also provide pots for the hot beverage upon request.
Regarding your orders, the chef unfortunately had a bad luck with the last portion, where he had to re-do the poached eggs, and he is indeed a perfectionist and wanted to send the quality we always deliver and not compromising on our standards. I accept that the wait was far too long, however I must state that 1 hour is a grave exaggeration.
For our drink offering, it was myself who served you at the bar that evening, and we were indeed out of stock on your preferred choice of Brandy, however I offered you two alternatives, but those were refused.
Lastly, I’m sorry the bedding was not to your liking – this is very rare, in fact we frequently receive feedback to the contrary.
Kind Regards,
Daniel Merkei
Food & Beverage Manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I found the hotel a short but pretty walk from the bus stop direct from the airport (£3.50!), with a little help from the nice Bus Driver and my iPhone Map. Although it was late at night and I was on my own, it's in a nice bustling neighbourhood and I felt safe. The Place stands out in its row of lovely period properties and looks great from the outside. Luckily the inside didn't disappoint with a great mix of period and contemporary. I was the last guest to check in and the American receptionist definitely fulfilled the stereotype with a smile and great service and couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. Although I booked a single room, it was a great size bed and the room was clean, quiet and I got a great night's sleep. In the morning I looked out the window and could see the sea too...what a lovely surprise!

I booked the breakfast on late rooms and wasn't disappointed with great choice and good quality produce. I took full advantage and fed up on their lovely bits which included buffet (and Haggis!) or special order options like smoked salmon. When checking out the same receptionist booked a taxi for me later that day from a different location. Compared to a recent trip to London it was half the price and ten times the quality and service. It was a fleeting business trip but my great experience means I will 100% be back to see the beautiful city and will definitely come back to the Place too - highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear NF80,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Sophie (the Canadian Receptionist) appreciates the mention and says Hi!
Hopefully next time you visit you’ll have a bit more time to take in Edinburgh.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Düsseldorf
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The hotel is located in the new town of Edinburgh approximately 10 - 15 minutes walking from the city center (old town). The personnel is very friendly and helpful. You can book your tours (e.g. to the Highlands) at the reception.

The room was "cosy" as indicated and very clean. Our breakfast buffet included traditional Scottish food like "Haggis" but you can also choose from several other options (Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Sausages, (Scrambled) Eggs, Pancakes, Toast, Croissant, Fruits, Yogurt, Cornflakes, Juices, Water, Milk, Tea & Coffee). You also have the possibility to order directly at the kitchen. If you like you can also have dinner in the hotel.

The size of the hotel is good (not too small and not too big), which creates a very familiar atmosphere.

For us the hotel provided everything we needed and we would definitely come back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear DiiiiiDiiiii90,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.
Delighted you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and at The Place.
We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Just back from a one night stay with my boyfriend. Was a bit worried we wouldn't fit in (heavily tattooed and in our twenties, not very 5star ourselves) however I needn't have worried, we fitted in fine! Check in was easy, and after being shown to our room it was a mere two flights of stairs! Booked a double room, and expects a couch and there wasn't and bathroom was very small but again this didn't bother me as the bed was so comfy and we were supplied with tea & coffee & a tv! Hot shower which was powerful and lasted as long as needed (I love long, hot showers) and shampoo, shower gel & body lotion was provided! Very comfortable nights sleep, in a cosy room, only problem was I kept being woken up by other guests coming home late and slamming their doors! Also being quite loud on the way to the rooms! Of course that's not the hotels fault! Over all excellent, welcoming and in the perfect location for exploring Edinburgh!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cosey144,
Thank you for posting a review.
I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Edinburgh.