1,168 results
All reviewsno lifttop flooryork placevelux windowdouble showerhuge roomsuperior roomlovely hoteltram lineboutique hotelprinces streetcentral locationfull scottish breakfastmain attractionstea coffeestayed here for one nightshort break
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was booked into this hotel as I was working at the Edinburgh Playhouse, and would certainly come back again. It was an easy walk from Edinburgh Waverley rail station (although there was a steepish hill which might have been a problem with a bigger suitcase). Very close to the Playhouse, and also to Harvey Nicks and a large shopping centre with a John Lewis, so shopping heaven for me.

The man on reception was very helpful, and did offer to help with my case. On reflection, I should have accepted his offer - my room was at the top of two very long flights of stairs and I was struggling by the time I got there. The room itself was large, with plenty of tea making supplies, a large TV and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was a good size, warm with plenty of towels and soap etc. There were 2 armchairs and a coffee table - the table must have been a comedy one, as it was very wobbly indeed - definitely not safe to put hot liquids on. (I reported this when leaving, so hope they have fixed it for the next occupant). There was a good view over the Firth, and it was very quiet.

I didn't have breakfast. They were very helpful about keeping my case for me until the afternoon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear CuriousTravellerYork,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m pleased to advise that the “comedy” table was repaired after you reported the fault to us and is still holding strong!
Look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed two nights in The Place Hotel on York Place in Edinburgh. The hotel is quite central and within walking distance of the city centre. Although our twin room was in the basement, it was quite nice and comfortable. There could have been a little bit more light in the bathroom.

Breakfast was excellent too. We had the Scottish Breakfast which was not too fat, Scrambled Eggs and Salmon, and Eggs Florentine. Breakfast dishes were all delicious and there was a nice buffet too.

Staff was very friendly. A good place to stay during a visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tightloops,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay. I have taken note of your comment regarding the bathroom lighting and we are looking into this. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at "The Place" on 9th of January. We had gone to Edinburgh to see "The Lion King." which was fantastic. The Hotel was lovely and the staff very helpful and cheery. Right away we were given an update and we had a beautiful view of the Firth of Fourth from our bedroom window. The room was lovely. The only problem was it was on the second floor and there was no lifts. The room was large and spotless and the bed was very comfortable. Complimentry tea & coffee a large TV, which we didn't make use of and a fan which we did made use of, as although it was very cold outside the room was warm. We had a scrumptious full Scottish breakfast. The hotel was only a 5 minute walk to the Playhouse, and a 5 minute walk to the train station. We would definitely book this hotel again.

Room Tip: If like us you are senior citizens try to book the first floor as the stairs are quite steep.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Irene R,
Thank you for your review. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you enjoyed Lion King – it really is a fantastic show! We have a close relationship with the Playhouse and have some very exciting packages coming up this year – be sure to keep an eye on our website to ensure you get the best deal!
I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at The Place in August 2013 when we visited Edinburgh for the Fringe. Although not cheap, it was a perfect base for the festival - central (about a 10 minute slow walk to the Royal Mile) and right next door to some of the venues. However, it was also quiet so provided some respite from the mayhem in the City! Great staff, so helpful and efficient. Also great food at a reasonable price. We travelled with family and spent 3 nights here - we would definitely stay again when we return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KJB69
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear KGB69
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Place January 4th-5th.. Upon arrival the receptionist was very friendly & because of a small mix up with booking we were upgraded to the suite room 3815 free of charge!! It was huge, 2large beautiful windows, 2double beds, walk in double shower & bath. The room was very modern & clean with large wardrobe, iron & iron board, complementary tea&coffee.
The hotel location was fantastic just along from Queens street, 5min walk from Waverly Trainstation & 5min from Harvey Nicks, princess st & George st.. The hotel made our stay even better, would definitely return!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ellie1990

Dear Ellie1990,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m sorry there was a slight mix up with your booking, but glad we were able to sort it out and upgrade you to a suite – 3817 is one of my favourite rooms…one of the best views you will ever see from a bath! Delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.