“Quality Hotel Really Good Location.”
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #111 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bath, England, United Kingdom
“Quality Hotel Really Good Location.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at The Place Hotel for 2 nights over the weekend and where thoroughly impressed. We arrived at the hotel early on Friday morning (before checkin to leave our bags) and the staff at the welcome desk moved us around meaning we were able to access our room immediately! As it was our first visit to the city the staff where really helpful pointing us in the right direction of things we wanted to do. The hotel rooms where very comfortable, clean and spacious. I would highly recommend to anyone wishing to visit the city.

Dear Callum S,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had a overnight stay as part of a package to see The Lion King 18th Jan.and what a great experience.The chap a reception was lovely showed us to our room and it was amazing,we have stayed in many hotels in Las Vegas which have big rooms but this was the biggest room ever and the size of the bed was wow room3065.The staff in the restuarant and bar were very nice and helpful.Would recommend this hotel decor was lovely bathroom superb the down side is not a lift so for anyone who cant manage stairs a draw back but it does say on website no lift so people cannot complain.Thanks to my family for this lovely Christmas present certainly picked a great hotel for us and thanks to the staff for our enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: room 3065 amazing
Dear marymay01,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I remember speaking with you at breakfast and I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay – what a lovely, and well deserved, gift from your family!
I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was booked into this hotel as I was working at the Edinburgh Playhouse, and would certainly come back again. It was an easy walk from Edinburgh Waverley rail station (although there was a steepish hill which might have been a problem with a bigger suitcase). Very close to the Playhouse, and also to Harvey Nicks and a large shopping centre with a John Lewis, so shopping heaven for me.

The man on reception was very helpful, and did offer to help with my case. On reflection, I should have accepted his offer - my room was at the top of two very long flights of stairs and I was struggling by the time I got there. The room itself was large, with plenty of tea making supplies, a large TV and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was a good size, warm with plenty of towels and soap etc. There were 2 armchairs and a coffee table - the table must have been a comedy one, as it was very wobbly indeed - definitely not safe to put hot liquids on. (I reported this when leaving, so hope they have fixed it for the next occupant). There was a good view over the Firth, and it was very quiet.

I didn't have breakfast. They were very helpful about keeping my case for me until the afternoon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear CuriousTravellerYork,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m pleased to advise that the “comedy” table was repaired after you reported the fault to us and is still holding strong!
Look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Switzerland
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed two nights in The Place Hotel on York Place in Edinburgh. The hotel is quite central and within walking distance of the city centre. Although our twin room was in the basement, it was quite nice and comfortable. There could have been a little bit more light in the bathroom.

Breakfast was excellent too. We had the Scottish Breakfast which was not too fat, Scrambled Eggs and Salmon, and Eggs Florentine. Breakfast dishes were all delicious and there was a nice buffet too.

Staff was very friendly. A good place to stay during a visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Tightloops,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay. I have taken note of your comment regarding the bathroom lighting and we are looking into this. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.
Paisley, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at "The Place" on 9th of January. We had gone to Edinburgh to see "The Lion King." which was fantastic. The Hotel was lovely and the staff very helpful and cheery. Right away we were given an update and we had a beautiful view of the Firth of Fourth from our bedroom window. The room was lovely. The only problem was it was on the second floor and there was no lifts. The room was large and spotless and the bed was very comfortable. Complimentry tea & coffee a large TV, which we didn't make use of and a fan which we did made use of, as although it was very cold outside the room was warm. We had a scrumptious full Scottish breakfast. The hotel was only a 5 minute walk to the Playhouse, and a 5 minute walk to the train station. We would definitely book this hotel again.

Room Tip: If like us you are senior citizens try to book the first floor as the stairs are quite steep.
Dear Irene R,
Thank you for your review. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you enjoyed Lion King – it really is a fantastic show! We have a close relationship with the Playhouse and have some very exciting packages coming up this year – be sure to keep an eye on our website to ensure you get the best deal!
I look forward to welcoming you back.
Bristol
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at The Place in August 2013 when we visited Edinburgh for the Fringe. Although not cheap, it was a perfect base for the festival - central (about a 10 minute slow walk to the Royal Mile) and right next door to some of the venues. However, it was also quiet so provided some respite from the mayhem in the City! Great staff, so helpful and efficient. Also great food at a reasonable price. We travelled with family and spent 3 nights here - we would definitely stay again when we return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KJB69
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear KGB69
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Place January 4th-5th.. Upon arrival the receptionist was very friendly & because of a small mix up with booking we were upgraded to the suite room 3815 free of charge!! It was huge, 2large beautiful windows, 2double beds, walk in double shower & bath. The room was very modern & clean with large wardrobe, iron & iron board, complementary tea&coffee.
The hotel location was fantastic just along from Queens street, 5min walk from Waverly Trainstation & 5min from Harvey Nicks, princess st & George st.. The hotel made our stay even better, would definitely return!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ellie1990
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Ellie1990,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m sorry there was a slight mix up with your booking, but glad we were able to sort it out and upgrade you to a suite – 3817 is one of my favourite rooms…one of the best views you will ever see from a bath! Delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.