The Place
US$129
US$125
HotelIndigo.com
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$134
Agoda.com
US$200
US$195
1,138 results
All reviewsno liftyork placetop floorvelux windowdouble showerbasement roomhuge roomlovely hoteltram linesuperior roomboutique hotelprinces streetcentral locationmain attractionsstayed here for one nightfull scottish breakfasttea coffee
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Got a good deal on this hotel through Trivago. Excellent location if you are getting the tram from the airport. Also only about a 5 minute walk from Princess Street. Friendly staff and great breakfast. Only negative thing I would say was room was very hot and faced onto the street so hard to get to sleep at night with noise. Having said that I would stay at this hotel again given the location and value for money

Room Tip: There is no lift in the hotel so if you're not good with stairs ask for a room close to ground level
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Orla M,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked this at the last moment at a great price for just one night in early June. It was easy to find, with close parking nearby if you have a car, and well located for shopping and restaurants etc. The guy who checked me in was extremely helpful and nice, and explained all the features of the hotel, something which is often lacking - I'd commend him personally, but didn't get his name.

Room was a bit small, but adequate with modern furnishings, and in comparison to what you get for your money elsewhere in the UK, is reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear ryanbryan,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at The Place for one night before leaving to the airport the next morning. The location was very central and a perfect location to many of the sites of Edinburgh. We ended up being upgraded to a larger room which was very spacious and very nice. This may be because we were there during the off season but regardless of why, it was a great and much appreciated surprise. The bathroom is a little smaller than the other hotels we had stayed in while in Scotland, but that is not an issue as I wasn’t planning on spending much time in there so that is never a deal breaker.

The staff is amazing and so friendly. Every staff member we ran into was helpful, cheery, and pleasant to work with. At 1:00am I was having problems with my lap top and needed help with some flight information for the next morning and the gentleman at the front desk went beyond what most would do at that hour to help me with everything.

The room was trendy and comfortable with well placed neon lights and was very clean with nice free toiletries. The beds were the most comfortable that we ran into while in Scotland. I wish we had stayed a few extra nights at The Place as it was a really great experience.

There are only two drawbacks that might affect some people. There are no elevators so be prepared to work your arm muscles and legs on the climb up. We were on one of the upper floors so it was quite the hike, but not really a big deal and I welcome exercise where I can get it, but if you are not as nimble, this may be a problem. Also, parts of the hotel face a busy street and the drunks leaving the pub at 3:00am woke me up with a joyous rendition of a traditional Scottish folksong. This went on for a good 10-15 minutes. That is in no way the hotel’s fault but if you are a light sleeper like I am, you may want to request a quiet room.

Room Tip: *Request a quiet room if you are a light sleeper as street noise can be an issue. *No elevator so bringing up suitcases to the higher floors may be a task for some.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear CuriousBinky,

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed only for one night at this hotel but we were satisfied. The hotel is good located for railway and bus station and close to the city centre. Our room was clean and had a beautiful view of the city. There is a lovely staff, the receptionist gave a city map and offered us some places to see.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Alexandra T,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I needed a central hotel for a quick trip to Edinburgh with an American friend. The Place is ideally located for public transport being at the end of the tram line from the airport, 5 mins from St Andrews Sq (tour bus), and bus station and 12 mins walk from Waverley station.

We had a spacious and stylish twin room with two comfortable queen beds. It had a large TV, good wifi coverage and a silent kettle with plenty of tea and coffee. The shower room was small, but toiletries and towels were good. We were at the front of the building and there was some street noise heard through the single glazed window, but I was so tired I didn't find it overly intrusive. Perhaps it may be if the window needed to be opened.

Breakfast was excellent with a small continental selection to keep us going until our cooked choice arrived. Eggs florentine was nicely done. Tea and coffee were of good quality.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and approachable.

It should be noted that the hotel is made up of 3 town houses and there are three stairwells and no lifts. We were on the 2nd floor (that's the 3rd for our American cousins) and there was a lot of stairs to climb. We were immediately offered a lift with our bags however.

Given the higher prices of competing nearby hotels I felt The Place offered good value - for Edinburgh.

I'd happily stay again and would request the first floor.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends