“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #112 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed two nights, had nice big room nicely decorated and very clean. The only thing we were dissapointed with was the breakfast expected traditional fresh cooked breakfast however it was help your self from hot dishes, scrambled egg not cooked enough no mushrooms or tomatoes and had to ask for brown bread. However, saying this the staff were very helpful and friendly and the location was excellent so would still return again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Maureen M,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean, nicely decorated and the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were well-appointed. The only warning I would give is that we paid for a slightly larger room, only to discover that even these rooms were pretty small. Apparently we had upgraded from a city double, which were even smaller, to a standard double. We enjoyed our stay though and would use the hotel again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Vickitay,
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed for two nights, had a great room, spotless. Breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice and hot dishes were constantly replenished. The staff were always very friendly and helpful and the location is ideal for shopping, eating and transport links. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank alilou3
Dear alilou3,
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here for one night on business. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I arrived at 9am (on an early flight). Although my room wasn't available they looked after my bag, gave me wifi access and a coffee. My room was a single and had a great view out of the front of the hotel - traffic noise was not a problem. Breakfast was varied and high quality - many things were available if required - haggis, kippers, etc.

The hotel is opposite the last tram stop on the route from the airport which was very convenient and easy to find. The railway station is 5/10 minutes walk.

I unknolingly dropped my toothbrush on my way out and one of the staff caught up with me outside to hand it to me which was very kind of them and typical of all the staff I met.

Room Tip: If travelling from the airport, use the tram. It's £5 and the hotel is opposite the last stop...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Barco22,
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Got a good deal on this hotel through Trivago. Excellent location if you are getting the tram from the airport. Also only about a 5 minute walk from Princess Street. Friendly staff and great breakfast. Only negative thing I would say was room was very hot and faced onto the street so hard to get to sleep at night with noise. Having said that I would stay at this hotel again given the location and value for money

Room Tip: There is no lift in the hotel so if you're not good with stairs ask for a room close to ground l...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Orla M,
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked this at the last moment at a great price for just one night in early June. It was easy to find, with close parking nearby if you have a car, and well located for shopping and restaurants etc. The guy who checked me in was extremely helpful and nice, and explained all the features of the hotel, something which is often lacking - I'd commend him personally, but didn't get his name.

Room was a bit small, but adequate with modern furnishings, and in comparison to what you get for your money elsewhere in the UK, is reasonable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear ryanbryan,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at The Place for one night before leaving to the airport the next morning. The location was very central and a perfect location to many of the sites of Edinburgh. We ended up being upgraded to a larger room which was very spacious and very nice. This may be because we were there during the off season but regardless of why, it was a great and much appreciated surprise. The bathroom is a little smaller than the other hotels we had stayed in while in Scotland, but that is not an issue as I wasn’t planning on spending much time in there so that is never a deal breaker.

The staff is amazing and so friendly. Every staff member we ran into was helpful, cheery, and pleasant to work with. At 1:00am I was having problems with my lap top and needed help with some flight information for the next morning and the gentleman at the front desk went beyond what most would do at that hour to help me with everything.

The room was trendy and comfortable with well placed neon lights and was very clean with nice free toiletries. The beds were the most comfortable that we ran into while in Scotland. I wish we had stayed a few extra nights at The Place as it was a really great experience.

There are only two drawbacks that might affect some people. There are no elevators so be prepared to work your arm muscles and legs on the climb up. We were on one of the upper floors so it was quite the hike, but not really a big deal and I welcome exercise where I can get it, but if you are not as nimble, this may be a problem. Also, parts of the hotel face a busy street and the drunks leaving the pub at 3:00am woke me up with a joyous rendition of a traditional Scottish folksong. This went on for a good 10-15 minutes. That is in no way the hotel’s fault but if you are a light sleeper like I am, you may want to request a quiet room.

Room Tip: *Request a quiet room if you are a light sleeper as street noise can be an issue. *No elevator so b...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends