“Perfect for our wedding stay!”
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #110 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in a lovely suite for the weekend of our wedding after negotiating a good rate on rooms for our guests. The reception staff were very attentive on arrival carrying our bags to our rooms and bringing me breakfast to my room even though this is not strictly a room service open. Our suite was lovely, lots of room for the bridesmaids, hairdresser & photographer. Most of our guests liked their rooms though the rooms in the attic were I believe quite warm and smaller than the lower floors so when booking a room I would request one of the others. Breakfast was good and there was a lovely classy bar with nice staff on the ground floor. This hotel is ideally located for exploring Edinburgh on foot and so good value for a city centre hotel. We enjoyed our stay, thanks again!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Frankie51uk
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Frankie51uk,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from another amazing stay at The Place. Having stayed before I was looking forward to a return trip and we were not disappointed in the slightest.

This time we were delighted to be staying in a Suite and I can highly recommend it - the room and bathroom was huge, with a great view and so clean (always a major point in my book).

The service was efficient and staff so attentive despite the hotel being really busy acting as a venue for the Edinburgh fringe (which was an interesting addition to the hotel! Loved mixing with the various acts in the bar and planning to come back and experience it again properly next year).

And as usual the food and cocktails were amazing. Really impressed yet again, already booked for November!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Broons B

Dear Broons B,

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We had high hopes, and found the location and people fantastic, but our room was very uncomfortable. We stayed in a cozy city double and expected it to be small. Didn't expect it to be moldy, musty, dank, and scuffed up. We felt gross in the room. Shower was not refreshing, felt grubby.I've read the response of the hotel, that they are calling in a painter, etc. well, it's your money, but we would never consider staying here again unless we see some before and after pictures.

Stayed: May 2014
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2015

Dear orwhatuwill,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We had an issue with discoloration of the grout in a section of rooms, which I admit did make them look "mouldy". We have re-grouted all bathrooms in this section and all rooms have recently been re-painted (they are constantly touched up anyway). I'm sorry the room wasn't to your liking and as a result you didn't enjoy your stay. Should you wish to re-book, please feel free to contact me directly and I will personally see to it that you enjoy a positively refreshing and memorable experience.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a really nice place to stay except the room we stayed in was classed as a cosy double but it was actually a basement room and was more like a cramped than cosy double. Breakfast was average except when we asked where the bacon was and told the restaurant was halal friendly so therefore they didn't serve any. This was not stated on the website and Scottish breakfast was stated.

Dear Ann M,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

With a location in the centre next to the new tram terminus, Georgian terrace buildings and helpful staff this Place has a lot going for it but you are probably only likely to agree if you choose to stay in their upmarket rooms and avoid the top floor (68 steps up) as there is no lift.
We would like to thank Louise on the front desk who was really helpful and genuinely considerate in getting our room moved when my wife - couldn't manage the stairs ( apparently you can ask for a lower floor when you book) but you can't really avoid stairs in this hotel.
The staff were all great but while the luxury rooms are wonderful and romantic you may find the standard rooms small and ordinary and not likely to impress if you are on a special weekend!
We were surprised to be told that the kitchen was a Hallal kitchen so no bacon or pork sausages for breakfast. It was not explained whether this was because of the Chef or the hotel policy. I do think that is something that should be clearly stated when booking so customers can make a choice.

Room Tip: Avoid the Standard rooms unless you need something basic and make sure you are happy to do serious s...

Dear BeverleyBartok,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

On a recent visit to Edinburgh to celebrate my 60th birthday, my wife and I stayed at The Place. We chose it because of good reviews and its proximity to the final tram stop from the airport.
On arrival we were allocated a huge room with an equally huge bed. The views from the 3 large windows in the room was an added bonus.
We found the hotel staff to be very pleasant and the hotel location is within walking distance of most of the attractions. Many shops, bar and restaurants are close at hand,
My only minor gripes with this hotel are the price of the optional breakfast and the light in our bathroom which is operated by motion sensor - the light goes out while one is showering !
These minor criticisms certainly would not prevent me from recommending The Place as an excellent hotel option for a stay in Edinburgh !

1  Thank La0ch

Dear LaOch,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The place, is in the best location,, could not be better , & the new tram line runs from the airport to outside the hotel ,fantastic
The design , style & decoration is fantastic , the lounge & bar very comfortable ,the hotel is very clean , good value if you were allocated one of the better rooms
However we were allocated the worst room in the hotel , in the basement , so small it was barely functional & I felt claustrophobic , the room was very warm with no air con , that isn't a major concern , the reading light on the left did not work & despite reporting it , it was not repaired, we do like to read in bed
Half of the shower head was blocked & no shelf in the shower to place toiletries , the iron is not a steam iron so I did not dare use it on my silk dresses , but still pleased an iron was provided
People from outside can see into the room, it was also very noisy , not a major problem 4 me
Breakfast was fine & we were given a free breakfast for one day not two despite all the problems
We had no drawers for clothes, very little storage space and a tiny space to hang clothes , so tiny, the hanger was wider and needed to be at an angle
The worst thing for me was that I had a small accident on the quilt (I was feeling unwell & didn't make it to the loo in time and a small amount of vomit went on the quilt - I do not drink) , it must of been the stress & the heat, I took the quilt cover off , & the quilt was soiled unsure what it was , I would like to think it was tea stains but may have been worse, it could not have been unnoticed , I reported what happened & apologised , I was given a new quilt and cover , the soiled quilt was my number one complaint
I have been all over the world & I know I am very fussy , however I like to enjoy my breaks with comfort , that's what it is all about
I believe if I had a room at the back on the first floor I would have been very happy or even if I had to climb the stairs higher , but due to the room, I was most uncomfortable & it ruined my two night break , I could not have stayed longer
I was assured if I returned I would be given an upgrade
The staff were all very helpful & polite , sorry I do not know the names, however the blonde haired female reception staff was more helpful & friendly but she was not initially on duty so could do no more to help than she did

Hazel Nield Room 3803

Room Tip: I believe rooms at the back on the first floor would be ideal , not too many stairs to climb and mor...

Dear Hazel N,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry that your room was not to your liking. Since your review we have purchased new mattress protectors and replaced all which had stains (they are regularly cleaned, but we do acknowledge that the stains can be off putting).