“Nicely located but not value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #114 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Paris, France
“Nicely located but not value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is definitely well located & nicely refurnished with a very attentive and dedicated staff either at front desk or at the bar.
But for this kind of hotel it's disappointing not to have a lift even if the staff spontaneously offered to carry our luggage to the top floor or downstair.
It's wise to avoid the standard room which were quite expensive for being located in the basement without a window but just a skylight on the ceiling. This room was narrow & the bathroom tiny without an air conditioning system.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brice M
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 30 January 2015
Dear Brice M,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry that you didn't feel we offered good value for money. We feel strongly that our prices are very competitive and if you look at other hotels in Edinburgh, I'm sure you would agree. It seems like everything else was at least, satisfactory.
Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and staff service was dreadful. Couldn't find our room so waited quite some time at reception to ask. They told us to go ask at the bar. At the bar they said we had to walk through the reception then head to the basement. We literally walked inbetween tables of people dining with our cases to get there. Room was very tight but good for one night so thought all would be fine then. At 5am we were woken by staff in the corridor. For hours they were constantly stomping through the corridor and slamming the door outside our room. The noise was unbearable. Clearly there's staff rooms nearby hence these basement rooms should not be used as guest rooms. Finally at 8am I'd had enough as it'd been three hours of this so we left. At reception I complained about the noise and said that those rooms shouldn't be used as guest rooms. No apology at all, she simply said she'd pass it on!! Clearly this hotel is being greedy by adding extra rooms downstairs however the lack of any consideration from the staff was even more appalling.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sam F
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 30 January 2015
Dear Sam F,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. If you'd like to discuss any of the issues, please contact me directly at the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The reason I chose this hotel was its central location and in was doubly reassured when I realised the airport tram ride was direct and terminated right in front of our hotel. It is within walking distance of everything you need in Edinburgh and far enough away from the din and noise of the Fringe Festival. The lobby is clean and welcoming, yet slightly cold but functional. But the receptionist is very gifted at asking you the right questions for your stay, which makes you think you are in good hands. The wifi is free for 24 hrs and more if you get several code cards. Our room was in the basement, which didn't bode well, because we passed a slightly dank smelling corner, but once we got in, although the downright gauche decor/colour scheme is poor, the room was overall satisfactory and very confortable. The only minus is that if you are on the street side, the cars passing over the sewer top can be heard as they "bumbump" passed. I sleep with earplugs anyway, as I am not a good city sleeper, but for country folk I recommend specifically asking for a non-road sided room. There is an immensely practical iron and board, as well as a strong hair dryer. The coffee caddy and kettle are a welcome addition and well stocked. The breakfast is served on the main floor, again in a room whose decor is so wrongly put together. The breakfast offering is delicious and the scrambled eggs are amazing. No bacon as it is strangely a halal kitchen, so my husband had the sausages which he detested. Yet the haggis was amazing, the toast good, the tomatoes and mushrooms cooked to perfection and the coffee up to parr. There is always chilled water in a jug, which is lucky as walking is thirsty work in Edinburgh. I would recommend this hotel, not only for its location, but for the never tired service, with a continuous good attitude of "can-do". Not high luxury, not low cost. But in the fragrant middle and smelling of roses.

Room Tip: Choose a back room if you are a country person who absolutely needs quiet, unless you sleep with ear...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine V
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Dear Catherine V,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reading, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for 8 nights. The superior room was fantastic - enormous. Daily cleaned & bed was really comfortable (also enormous!). Bathroom very large (can't say enormous again can I?), and also very clean. The room was at the front of the hotel, and although very noisy (esp. on Saturday night) it didn't really bother us.
The tram runs right from the airport to just outside the hotel, so perfect for travelling. We travelled to Glasgow pretty much daily, and this is very convenient for Waverley Station too - I could do the journey in my sleep! Also very close to a number of local fantastic restaurants.Would stay there again!
Very near the Portrait Gallery & found a lovely breakfast/brunch bar called Urban Angel - that goes gluten free bread - please try try - www.urbanangel.co.uk

Room Tip: Loud but just on the Saturday nights.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Dear JeannieBrice,

croydon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room - 2 nights in basement room very small and hot. Had to stand on bed to open window and close blind, this must be against health and safety. No towel rail in bathroom although notice on wall suggesting use of towel rail to keep same towels. Only 1 light above shower no light above mirror, far too dark to see. Fan did not work, so mirror steamed up as well. When we complained we were offered to move but on tight schedule did not have time to pack belongings.
Breakfast - No glasses available, told all in dish washer had to use wine glasses.Very little food left in buffet so ordered from the kitchen.Porridge and kipper with poached egg, both served together, smell of kipper nauseating while eating porridge, kipper cold and egg hard when porridge finished.
Complained to person in charge on check out (Sophie [--] I believe) who offered to remove bar and breakfast charges after saying 'she knew what we were talking about and she would not stay in that room'. We opted to speak to the manager (Stephen [--]) who said we choose not to move rooms and would only discount the price of the breakfast, then denied that Sophie had offered to discount bar prices as well. He said that lack of Buffet food was due to all guests taking breakfast at the same time!!. He informed me that if I wished for the kipper to come after the porridge I should have specified that at the time of ordering. Do many places serve a starter at the same time as a main course?? So having paid £322.18 for a twin room for 2 nights we left very disappointed. So check your room type and be specific how you want your breakfast served and enquire from other guests what time they will be eating!!

Room Tip: check room type, comments apply to room 3812
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whistle_stop_visitor
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
For the attention of readers:
I have asked for this review to be removed as there are many untruths told and a member of my team has been left upset by the untruthful comments made. This, I’m told, can take up to 5 working days so I will offer some comments in the meantime:
• The room: The reviewer did complain about a couple of maintenance issues in their room, which we agreed were unacceptable. We apologised profusely and offered a complimentary room upgrade as way of compensation and also to allow us to attend to the issues in the room. The room upgrade was declined. We have velux windows in our “City” bedrooms – you certainly do not need to stand on the bed to open them.
• Breakfast: The reviewer arrived in the breakfast room at an extremely busy time, during which the buffet was being replenished. This was explained by staff and the buffet (including glasses) was fully replenished within a couple of munities. The reviewer could have waited a couple of minutes, but chose to order from the speciality menu instead. The fact that two people ordered two dishes and did not specify that only one of them would be eating (as a “starter and main), is not the fault of the serving staff. It is very common for two people to sample two different dishes (such as Porridge and Kippers) from our speciality dishes menu. Had the reviewer mentioned their preference at the time of ordering, we would of course been happy to oblige. If they had mentioned it after being served we would have offered to keep the Kipper warm in the kitchen. No comment was made to the staff or management at the time, giving us no opportunity to offer any assistance or alternative.
• On check out: My colleague, whom was in charge at the time offered apologies and suggested that the guests speak to me. At no time did she offer to remove the charges from their account. When I spoke to the reviewer, I explained that as we had offered an alternative for the room complaint, which was declined, I was unable to offer any refund for the accommodation which had been pre-paid anyway. Even though I didn’t agree with their comments about the breakfast service, I sympathised and removed the charges (to the value of £29.90) as a gesture of good will.
As I’m sure you will see from previous reviews, my team and I take immense pride in our standards of customer service and if for whatever reason we haven’t met expectations we are always happy to discuss and offer compensation if it’s merited.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in a lovely suite for the weekend of our wedding after negotiating a good rate on rooms for our guests. The reception staff were very attentive on arrival carrying our bags to our rooms and bringing me breakfast to my room even though this is not strictly a room service open. Our suite was lovely, lots of room for the bridesmaids, hairdresser & photographer. Most of our guests liked their rooms though the rooms in the attic were I believe quite warm and smaller than the lower floors so when booking a room I would request one of the others. Breakfast was good and there was a lovely classy bar with nice staff on the ground floor. This hotel is ideally located for exploring Edinburgh on foot and so good value for a city centre hotel. We enjoyed our stay, thanks again!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Frankie51uk
Dear Frankie51uk,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from another amazing stay at The Place. Having stayed before I was looking forward to a return trip and we were not disappointed in the slightest.

This time we were delighted to be staying in a Suite and I can highly recommend it - the room and bathroom was huge, with a great view and so clean (always a major point in my book).

The service was efficient and staff so attentive despite the hotel being really busy acting as a venue for the Edinburgh fringe (which was an interesting addition to the hotel! Loved mixing with the various acts in the bar and planning to come back and experience it again properly next year).

And as usual the food and cocktails were amazing. Really impressed yet again, already booked for November!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple