“Great Venue on a Saturday Afternoon.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bert's Bar - CLOSED

Bert's Bar
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Bert's Bar Edinburgh is famed for its real ales which all meet the high Cask Marque standard of approval - which means we pour the perfect pint every time!However it is not just all about the beer! We enjoy a great reputation for not only serving fantastic pub food to a mix of customers but also serving everyone with a smile... no matter how busy we are! We provide substantial Scottish pub food for unsubstantial prices.
Gold Coast, Australia
“Great Venue on a Saturday Afternoon.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Visited yesterday and enjoyed the atmosphere, the football was playing for those who wanted it, and music playing for those who didn't. Had great and pleasant service
From the team and both enjoyed a sharing plate and then later BatteredHadock, peas and chips.Interestingly they do not have a licence for children to be on the premises, which we hadn't come across before. Personally it didn't affect us and if anything meant a more pleasant experience for those who'd rather not deal with kids in a pub.
All in all - a good afternoon and we'd recommend it.

Visited August 2013
TeamBerts, Manager at Bert's Bar, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We love to hear what you thought about your visit be it good or bad. Hopefully we'll be welcoming you back to Bert's very soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I was at bert's bar on 21st of August and i have to say it is the worst for service i have ever seen, (McDonalds have better service).
My drink was flat there was no real smiles on the staff it was like they were zombies and just didn't care. The manager (Will according to the bar-staff) was too bust chatting to the staff rather than serving the staff i can't believe he was in charge.
I do not recommend this bar at all until these people learn what service truly is.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank zander2013
Will D, General Manager at Bert's Bar, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Zander, I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience at Bert's. I understand your frustration and I cannot apologise enough. We have just recently recruited a new member off staff, and I was teaching her how the back bar works. I am deeply sorry to hear that you thought that I was busy chatting and that this has brought down your experience and the atmosphere of the pub. I hope you can give us another chance to prove that our staff are very friendly and welcoming with a warm smile for every customer.
Amsterdam
“Unbelievable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Very disappointed in the service recieved in Bert's yesterday (Tuesday 30th) As the barman was on the phone we said we would wait until he finished his call,he promptly put the phone down and started to serve our pints only to pick the phone back up and continue his call. As if that was'nt insulting enough he then used his head to put fount tap off as his hands were full !!
I fully intend email McLays brewery about this. We told the chap we were not impressed / happy and whilst he did apologise i feel this barman would benefit from a customer service course .

• Visited July 2013
Will D, General Manager at Bert's Bar, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Calum, I would again like to apologise to you for this, as you pointed out at the time it is very rude to serve a customer whilst on the phone, rest assured your point has been taken on board and I am not taking this lightly. I can assure you that no offence was meant and I will make sure that this is used as a learning experience. I also appreciate your feedback on this as had you not mentioned it I may have not realised the offence that can be taken from this type of thing. I would urge you to give Bert's another chance because, as you can see from the majority of our feedback this is not the norm.
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Visited Bert's Bar on Sunday 28 July using an Itison voucher. This entitled us to a meal from the main dishes and a pint of beer or glass of wine for the total cost of £11. Bargain especially as it was a large glass of wine! I like the idea that you take a seat and someone will come to your table and take your drink and food order. Quite unusual in a pub. We chose the Macaroni and chips but they also do a lot of different types of pies. Also like the music they play - we had a relaxing time eating, drinking and listening. Considering how central the pub is the prices are very reasonable. Will pay them a visit again - with or without a voucher.

• Visited July 2013
Will D, General Manager at Bert's Bar, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Many thanks for your feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed the atmosphere, food and service at Bert's. We are trying very hard to make our service as good as possible and help our customers relax and enjoy themselves, and our table service is a big part of that. Thank you for your comments, hope to see you again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The till said no!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

When we come to Edinburgh we always come to Berts Bar as my husband likes their beer. We arrived yesterday and had to wait a few minutes as there was no one serving behind the bar. Hubby had a beer and I had a medium sized glass of Sauvignon Blanc which was very nice. As we had plenty of time we decided to have another, but this time I just wanted a small glass. We were told this wasn't possible though as the till wasn't set up for it! Eh? So hubby had his pint and I didn't bother and we left.

Visited July 2013
Will D, General Manager at Bert's Bar, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Jaycee, this is indeed a farcical situation and should never have happened, many apologies for this. We have a new wine list with 20 wines by the glass, all in small, medium and large sizes. However we have a lot of the old wine list still available which is only sold by 175ml and 250ml. This being said there are various options that you should have been offered rather than being told the till wasn't set up, for example we have 2 new Sauvignon Blanc's in our fridges as well as the option you chose from the old list. Of course anyone would prefer to have a second glass of the same wine, and this should have been made available to you despite the till issue. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this.