“Very sad to write this as Bert's Bar HAS been a firm favourite for some time”
Review of Bert's Bar - CLOSED

Bert's Bar
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Bert's Bar Edinburgh is famed for its real ales which all meet the high Cask Marque standard of approval - which means we pour the perfect pint every time!However it is not just all about the beer! We enjoy a great reputation for not only serving fantastic pub food to a mix of customers but also serving everyone with a smile... no matter how busy we are! We provide substantial Scottish pub food for unsubstantial prices.
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I, with my partner and wee dog have visited Bert's Bar for over a year on a weekly bases, eating there, watching the rugby and always being made welcome by the lovely staff. Until a couple of weeks ago. Went along, new faces behind the bar, indifferent attitude, 1st 3 things we tried to order not available, not even a sorry from the batman who served us. Settled on nachos with vegetarian chill, a dish we have eaten and loved many times before, nachos served very over grilled with no chilli, chilli served separately as an after thought. I disliked the taste of the chilli, it was very different from the usual very yummy usual fare, oily and contained what I thought was soya mince, I had two spoonfuls and left the rest. My partner, recovering from a cold, was struggling to taste anything more than the spices, also felt the texture a little odd. We finished paid and left feeling a little let down as the previous food and service had always been so good. With a very short time I became quick unwell, and was physically sick, at this point I realise the chilli soya mince was actually beef mince, my partner became very ill also. My partner hasn't eaten meat for 7 years while I haven't for nearly 40 years, having become a vegetarian at the age of 11. I have emailed the parent company and not had a response so am reluctantly posting this as a warning to other non meat eaters. It is a terrible shame as this bar had really become our local and is missed.

1  Thank Terri T

Reviewed 1 December 2013

After checking the area out for a place to get a quick lunch I chose Berts as everywhere else was either doing more expensive options or sandwiches to takeaway. For what I was looking for (a reasonably priced sandwich lunch) it delivered. I have only given it three stars as I would not say its a great place to east but it served my purpose at the time.

The interior is nice and the staff when i was on were very friendly. Its nice to find a traditional bar in such good condition and the range of ales looked good, although i did not try any that day.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I walked by twice. I read the reviews. Pretty good food recommendations, with some complaints about the service. I walked around the neighborhood again, checking out the options. And went back to Bert's Bar.

Food: IMHO, very very good pub food. Scotch pie (minced beef, onion, with nice peppery kick and full of flavor -- flavour? -- in a thin crust) was top notch. Haggis pie was very good, definitely worth a try, but a step below the scotch pie for me. Mushy peas (my personal fav), potato wedges (chips?)... and had room for dessert. The sticky toffee pudding was amazing. Light at first, had me thinking, "no problem." And then you realize what you have. Beautiful. Finished it. But only just. Very rich and amazing. Made on-site I was told.

Beer: only had one, an oatmeal stout. Excellent. Wish I could have had a second.

Service: here I differ from some of the earlier reviews. Look, it's a pub. We had a total of 3 different staff swinging by to check on us and help out. They were all wonderfully friendly and helpful. Maybe if someone caught them on a bad night with a busy group and understaffed there could be a problem? Fine. It happens. But it's a pub -- it's not a snooty french restaurant. Roll with it. Smile, have fun, be nice, and be rewarded.

1  Thank Jay E
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Popped in at 8.55, looking for something to eat. There was no problem serving food, even though the kitchen was about to shut. It was good quality and very reasonably priced. Good cheerful service from the staff. I returned the following evening and it was just as good. Its nice to go into a bar that has the atmosphere of a local, a great change from the tourist bars along the Royal Mile.

TeamBerts, Manager at Bert's Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Thank you for your great review. We always strive to give our customers a great experience here at Bert's Bar and it's greatly appreciated when you let us know how we're doing. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I will admit I was afraid to go after reading a few of the reviews but we were so glad we went and came back again the next night. The staff was great and very helpful. On the 2nd night they were out of fish and chips but I was able to get something else that was great. If you are near or in the neighborhood, give them a try you wont' be disappointed.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're so glad that you decided to try us out and that you enjoyed your time with us. Maybe the next time you're here you'll get to enjoy one of Bert's delicious home made pies.