“Very average”

Price range: US$5 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Tipical Witherspoon place. Staff friendly especially the older guy who served our food. No sooner had we ordered a brunch burger and chicken salad than it was in front of us . Considering the place was busy I guess the burger was pre cooked. The bin was like days old and bet dry. As was the chicken. Hadith better in other Witherspoons and wont be hurrying back for food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I were on our first visit to Edinburgh and asked our tour guide for a recommendation for a casual dinner. He directed us here and we were glad he did. After wandering around looking for a table and admiring the architecture and space, we were lucky to get one in what I would describe the library room. Loved the atmosphere there. We both had one of the curry specials of the night and were not disappointed -- tasty, hot, and good-sized portions served quickly by a friendly waiter. Looking around, it appeared to us that everyone (and it was crowded!) was enjoying their meals and the space. If we are ever in Edinburgh again, we would go here again.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Popped in for lunch while out for the day, was expecting the normal wetherspoons food, how wrong could I be! The macaroni was the most disgusting meal I have ever been served, it had been microwaved to within an inch of its life, even the garlic bread had been nuked. I know for £5 you don't expect gourmet but I wouldn't feed that to my worst enemy! It was a busy bank holiday but that's not really a suitable excuse.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

It was a busy weeknight in the Standing Order and it didn't look as though we were going to get a table. Luckily, after waiting for a few minutes, a family left and we took their table. I went to the bar and ordered meals and was told they would be about 10 minutes. I questioned this as the place was heaving but the barman assured me that that was all we would have to wait. He was right - the meals were delivered well within the 10 mins and the waiters cleaned our table beforehand (we did ask them to). We enjoyed the food (generous portions - don't be tempted to order a child an adult's meal!).

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Standing Order is a Wetherspoons bar and restaurant. My husband and I had dinner from the Curry Special menu. Two chicken kormas plus a pint of guinness and half pint lager came to 13.98. Because we bought from the special curry menu, we were able to order a dessert each for 2.20, which we could select from the main menu. So, just over 16 pounds for 2 courses plus drinks for 2 people. Excellent value. I had apple crumble for dessert and it was really tasty as it contained plenty of cinammon, my husband had chocolate fudge cake, which was also very tasty- both were served with ice cream although I could have had custard. There were a couple of other choices of dessert. The actual chicken korma had a little more sauce than chicken but was still good value. There were a few choices of curry available. The staff were friendly and the surroundings were traditional with a good atmosphere.