“Home of best malt whiskies”

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society
Ranked #110 of 2,653 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 14 May 2014

It was a great experience to be in the Scotch Malt Whisky Society as being a fan of single malts... Too many whiskies to choose but prices were little high to be honest. Staff's knowledge is beyond my imagination but little tendency for commercial...

1  Thank Serkan A

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I m not an expert of Whisky but as far I did see and taste seems the right place for a A real Whisky experience. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a lovely dinner here during the Easter long weekend 2014. The food was delicious and beautifully presented, the service was excellent, and the ambience was great as well.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Ate here in March with friends for a catch up meal.

We had the table in the centre of the room for the four of us, which was really nice with nice crisp white linen.

We all chose 'red' meats for our main courses and when the waiter took our order for wine and we ordered a 'white' wine, his reply in a snooty fashion was "with red meat?". Yes. Not a great start.

They bring you a amouse bouche and Whisky before your meal which is a nice touch. The portions of the starters and mains were all good and roughly £10 to £20 respectively.

However the general the staff do their best, but to be honest, it's the second time I have been and I don't think there will be a 3rd for some time.

We finished eating around 10pm at which point a younger member of staff came in and turned off the gas fire (which was next to me) and the rude waiter was standing in the doorway in his 'going home' clothes, clearly our table and the other guests were interrupting their plans. There was still 14 of us in the restuarant and they were clearly clearing up. Not a good impression.

As I say, nice food, good choice of reasonable wines, but the service really could be much better. It's not up top scratch.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Took a couple of friends there in December. One Welsh and one English, so I wanted something particularly Scottish. Was a bit disappointed to find that the Vaults were fully booked, so went to the one one Queen Street for the first time, and was not disappointed.

Excellent value for money, with a package which includes a supper meal, plus three whisky tastings. My friends loved this - our host was extremely enthusiastic, and clearly knew her whisky (despite being Antipodean!!). She suggested two tastings before our meal, and one after, and was careful to select the "after" tasting based on our opinions of the first ones.

This is a must if you are looking for somewhere with a Scottish theme which does not scream tartan tat!