“Comfortable hotel in a good location”

The Ballantrae Hotel
Ranked #129 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Comfortable hotel in a good location”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I liked this place a lot. The room I was in was spacious and quiet and the bathroom was nice, with a great shower. The bed was a little firm for my liking but overall, everything was in good condition and clean. I was in a basement room so not much to see out of the window, but that just added to the privacy. if you want a room with a view however, you would need to ensure you had a room at the front of the hotel, as all rooms at the back would have no view of anything as far as I could tell.

No room service but it does have a nice restarant and a bar. I think this place works well for a quick business trip or tourist trip, and most of central Edinburgh is definitly within walking distance. Also has a few places to eat and drink within spitting distance.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hickster77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My bedroom, on the top floor of the building two doors down the street from the reception and bar area of this hotel, was nicely decorated and of a reasonable size. There is no lift which wasn't a problem for me but could be an issue for others. The only real disappointment was the terrible shower. It is over the bath with a moveable showerhead which didn't fit properly into its holder. There is no thermostatic temperature control and separate hot and cold bath taps made it very difficult to get an acceptable mixed temperature. Whenever there was any water pressure coming out of the showerhead, it moved in its holder and there was more water on the bathroom floor than on me. Not the easiest or most effective shower I have ever had.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues, please ensure that you advise the hotel at the time of reservation...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here Friday & Saturday 20/21st September. I was a wee bit worried having read some of the reviews so was prepared for the worst. However on arrival at reception we were greeted by a very pleasant young guy and informed that we could leave our luggage in the lounge until booking in time which was 4 hours away. Later on in the afternoon we came back to the hotel and were booked into room 7. Very clean and tidy with a magnificent view out over the Firth of Forth to Fife. Continental breakfast was first class with a choice of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, pasties etc, endless supply of tea coffee and toast. All in all we had a super stay, the staff (especially the young Spanish girl) were all first class, room fine and all extremely cost effective.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for and if you want 4-5 star then go to the Balmoral, Caledonian etc but don't knock places like this just cos there is a crack on the bath panel or a bit of flakey paint on the skirting ! Oh, and yes we will stay here again.

Room Tip: no lift so bit of a climb if your room is on 2nd or 3rd floor. Great views out back the higher your...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My room was in the basement, very dark and dingy - I couldn't even get mobile reception! The window had no noise proofing and I was kept awake long into the night by noise from outside. I think the pictures they show have no bearing on what the hotel was like, really very poor.

Room Tip: Phone in advance and ask for a room above ground!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Liz W

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We upgraded our rooms when we booked which meant our rooms were 2 doors down the street. This was definitely a good move as our room was huge with a sitting area which had a sofa and coffee table. The bathroom was also big. The only downsides were the lack of a lift and the parking. The location of this hotel was it's saving grace as it was just around the corner from Harvey Nics and just off Princess Street. Not a great fan of continental breakfast but it was ok.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I arrived at this hotel with 3 family members aged 86,76 and 75. All had mobilty issues. I booked through Bookings.com but there was no indication that there was no lift. Guess what ? We were at the top, three long flights up !. I nearly turned tail and ran : decor was shabby and the staff could not give us alternative rooms. There was a better decorated part of the hotel next door but not accessible unless you had upgraded rooms. I managed to get one of these on the last night at a cost of £184 but for that it had no air conditioning but a huge window which took two of us to open - the man on reception at the time was not very helpful when I explained I could not open it and we ended up doing it ourselves. As it was the Fringe Festival there was nowhere else to go so we stayed but I was mortified each day ( as I had booked it) to see my fellow travellors struggle up and down the stairs. The overworked staff were as helpful as they could be bar the one exception and the beds were comfortable but overall I felt as if I was in student accommodation when in the public parts and there was no cooked breakfast. I would stay here again if it was much, much cheaper as the location was good but not with anyone who didn't like climbing stairs.Finally, theyare digging up the road outside and start at 7 in the morning so ask for a room at the back of the hotel

Room Tip: Room at the back as digging up road outside. Tell hotel you dont' want to climb stairs if youh...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This hotel was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, very dated, depressing and shabby. The room felt more like a punishment cell. I felt unsafe here.The owner should be investigated for false advertisement. The road works outside are under construction but this was not mentioned at all, even although I had booked well in advance. Horrible place.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel and beware of room 17 in the basement.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple