“Excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Ballantrae Hotel
Ranked #130 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly. Our room was on the very top floor-number 1 and is definitely not suitable with someone who struggles with stairs. The room, however, was very big and the bathroom looked like it had been updated fairly recently. The room itself could do with an update as wallpaper was looking a bit tattered in places. Freeview was available on the new TV In the room and wifi was appreciated also. All in all we were happy with our stay as it was great value for money-so close to Princes Street!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor if you struggle with stairs, 2nd and 3rd floor rooms are quite a c...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel at the last minute for a business trip to Edinburgh. Initially a little worried by the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. When I arrived in the evening I got a friendly greeting and was shown where my room was located. I stayed in a double in the front basement of the hotel with a view up to the front street and hotel entrance. The room was large and the decor was in some need of refreshment but it was comfortable and clean. It was quiet enough and I got a good nights sleep. There was a smell which I have read about in other reviews but this was also evident outside the hotel and I am pretty sure there must be a brewery nearby as I recognised it as the smell associated with the brewing process and it didn't bother me. The bathroom had a large bath but tiny shower, personally I prefer a large shower but I am sure others would like the big spa bath. The location of the hotel is pretty good, close to the office I was visiting but also close to Edinburgh City centre and Haymarket rail station. I would stay here again if I couldn't find somewhere better but would most likely try somewhere else if possible.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We spent the night at the ballantrae hotel ,we were in room 24 which had a great view over the city,the room was huge and it was spotless,the only thing was the stairs but well worth it for the view ,would definitely go back ,

1 Thank May54547
Ayr UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

First of all, the location is sensational. Two minutes walk past Harvey Nicolls and onto Princes Street. Loads of first class bars and restaurants within a few minutes walk, including Le Monde and the Dome. We travelled by car but would not do so again unless absolutely necessary. The parking is extremely limited and stuck at a back door several flights of stairs down from the reception. The person at reception was excellent however, as were all of the staff throughout our two day stay at the beginning of October. we were in the annex two doors down from the hotel. Our room was reached by a number of staircases, fairly narrow and not to everyone's ability. The room itself was very good, a little small perhaps, but definitely adequate. Tea and coffee were supplied. The view across the Firth was splendid. The only downside was a large hole in one of our bath towels on the day we arrived. With the number of good restaurants nearby we did not eat in the hotel. I agree with another reviewer, you get what you pay for. In this instance I think it was excellent value, and would be so providing you do not hanker for a lounge or bar in which you can while away the evening hours. If you are like us, and are out during the day, return to change and head out for dinner, then return to sleep, this hotel annex is very good. We will return.

Room Tip: Although the annex rooms are slightly more expensive and smaller, they are new and appear much more...
1 Thank travellingred
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I liked this place a lot. The room I was in was spacious and quiet and the bathroom was nice, with a great shower. The bed was a little firm for my liking but overall, everything was in good condition and clean. I was in a basement room so not much to see out of the window, but that just added to the privacy. if you want a room with a view however, you would need to ensure you had a room at the front of the hotel, as all rooms at the back would have no view of anything as far as I could tell.

No room service but it does have a nice restarant and a bar. I think this place works well for a quick business trip or tourist trip, and most of central Edinburgh is definitly within walking distance. Also has a few places to eat and drink within spitting distance.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hickster77
North Berwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

My bedroom, on the top floor of the building two doors down the street from the reception and bar area of this hotel, was nicely decorated and of a reasonable size. There is no lift which wasn't a problem for me but could be an issue for others. The only real disappointment was the terrible shower. It is over the bath with a moveable showerhead which didn't fit properly into its holder. There is no thermostatic temperature control and separate hot and cold bath taps made it very difficult to get an acceptable mixed temperature. Whenever there was any water pressure coming out of the showerhead, it moved in its holder and there was more water on the bathroom floor than on me. Not the easiest or most effective shower I have ever had.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues, please ensure that you advise the hotel at the time of reservation...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here Friday & Saturday 20/21st September. I was a wee bit worried having read some of the reviews so was prepared for the worst. However on arrival at reception we were greeted by a very pleasant young guy and informed that we could leave our luggage in the lounge until booking in time which was 4 hours away. Later on in the afternoon we came back to the hotel and were booked into room 7. Very clean and tidy with a magnificent view out over the Firth of Forth to Fife. Continental breakfast was first class with a choice of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, pasties etc, endless supply of tea coffee and toast. All in all we had a super stay, the staff (especially the young Spanish girl) were all first class, room fine and all extremely cost effective.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for and if you want 4-5 star then go to the Balmoral, Caledonian etc but don't knock places like this just cos there is a crack on the bath panel or a bit of flakey paint on the skirting ! Oh, and yes we will stay here again.

Room Tip: no lift so bit of a climb if your room is on 2nd or 3rd floor. Great views out back the higher your...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple