The Ballantrae Hotel
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$180
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$251
US$169
US$137
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
  • Pool
All reviewscold meatsthe main hoteltram stoptea and coffeemodern bathroomprincess streetrose streetwest endcentral locationfew minutes walkshort breakcity breakbeautiful citywaverley stationyogurtroyal mileiron
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My review is in the context of a Guest House, this is certainly NOT a 4 star hotel. It is a 3 star hotel with a 5 star location. York Street is busy but doesn't have tourist traffic. If you stay toward the back of the hotel, it is very quiet. The rooms are clean, bathrooms newly renovated, and the service is spartan but fine. There is not a sit down lobby and breakfast is served in the bar with a dining room connected. The breakfast is continental and was adequate but not "good." It is important to note, like many places in Edinburgh which is very hilly, that two floors are below York Street and three above. If you book a lower fare room you will be on one of the two lower floors. I asked to be all the way at the back with a window with light. I was two floors below the lobby with a window facing a small car park in the rear. It was not damp at all and the room was fine with light. Back to the location, both Old and New Town are very accessible to this location, it is really great if you want to walk the City of Edinburgh and see the main museums, castle and other sights. I found Craig at the front desk, who was from Poland, very polite and helpful. If you want a decent price, great location and are looking more for a B&B or guest house atmosphere than a full service hotel, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Management360, Manager at The Ballantrae Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, but please note we list ourselves as a 3 star hotel, not a four star.

We do have rooms located on the ground floor and higher, as well as rooms in the basement level. If you were to stay with us again, and would prefer one of these rooms, please make a note of this when you book and we will do our best to accommodate your request.

The Ballantrae Hotel

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I'm the normal British guy, don't complain too much and accept what is given to me. This place however was just dreadful. Reception staff on our arrival were half bothered about us being there and borderline rude, whilst checking in we saw the bed sheets from the rooms being thrown down the stairs to be washed, the most unorthodox way I've seen cleaners operate! Once we navigated our way around the piles of bedsheets we found our room. The smell of the room was the first thing to hit us, that horrible damp smell I remember from my University days living in absolute squalor. We could see mold near the windows and in the bathrooms, general room cleanliness was questionable and bathroom was not very nice at all. Thankfully our time in Edinburgh was mostly limited to visiting other places due to the nature of our visit so our only time in the room was getting some sleep. Very happy to leave that place and never visit again, wasn't the greatest occasion to impress my new partner at the time. Thank Ballantrae, thanks a lot.

But its in a good location I'll give them some dues.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve E

Thank you for your review.

Since you stayed with us last November, the whole hotel has under gone a complete refurbishment, including all bedrooms and pubic areas. Please log onto our website to check out the various photographs.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us six months ago, but we are sure that if you were to stay with us again you will find your experience a thoroughly more enjoyable one.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Really central to city centre. Was worried with price it was going to be basic but Beautiful room, very warm great after a rainy day. Great friendly staff offering to make you a cup of tea as we'd got soaked prior to check in. Thought breakfast would be basic but good selection and didn't leave hungry!!!!! Fantastic place and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank CD201

Many thanks for your review.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again - hopefully with better Scottish weather!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel last Tuesday 15th April. I made a complaint to the manager regarding my shower not working yet I have not received a reply which is extremely rude and simply unacceptable.

To reiterate my complaint:
Firstly I would like to suggest the hotel work on their customer service level. When a girl arrives with 2 heavy bags and is told she is on the very top floor of the other building where there is no lift someone should offer to help with the bags.

However my main complain was with regards to the shower not working in the morning. I was informed it would take 40 minutes for anyone to have a look at it which simply is not acceptable! I then have to trapes downstairs for breakfast not being able to have a shower first to then have to return to the top roof room to be told 'it is not working' I already knew that! This therefore meant that I would need a shower in an alternative room. Again no one offered to help with my bags to bring them all the way down across into the next block and then up again another 4 flights of stairs.

Whilst I admit the bathroom was clean in the new room the rest of the room was a state with the previous customers shaver and foam on the side towels on the floor and the bedding all over the place. Please bear in mind that once showered I do require getting dressed doing my hair etc and this was not pleasant in such a dirty room.

On top of all of this I spoke to the manager on the phone prior to going to the new room for a shower who assured me he would speak to the owner and get back to me that afternoon. This being the 16th April. on the 24th I emailed the hotel with details of this complaint again and to highlight that I had not heard from anyone as promised. It is now the 30th and I have still not heard from anyone.

I must say I am very disappointed and feel the whole experience was very badly handled. I have worked in customer service for several years and would be keen to know what their service standards are? I would also like to know how they monitor the checking of equipment in the rooms and how you can be sure the shower was working prior to my check in?

Further more I would like to mention the TV in the room is not straight and hangs down which again is unacceptable.

I stay in a lot of hotels across the country and I am not one to make a complaint unnecessarily and had I received a call as promised you would have prevented this extended complaint being made.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, the overall service is shocking, the breakfast was at a very low standard with cheap plastic cheese, budget meat slices and small selection of cereal. No offer of assistance considering the hotel has no lift and the building is extremely high. But most importantly if someone is not happy with the service and a promise is made to get back to them this should be done and not left on the hope the customer will forget and not proceed with the complaint.

I now would like your comments and suggestions on how you will be compensating me for all these issues.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Room Tip: If you have nowhere else to stay in Edinburgh and have to stay here ask for a lower level room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Melaniev8
Management360, Manager at The Ballantrae Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are sorry to hear that you had some issues during your recent stay with us.

All guests should be offered assistance with their luggage on check in and departure. We are sorry that this was not the case when you checked in. All the reception team have been briefed again to make sure that this will not be repeated in the future. We are a listed building, so we cannot have lifts installed, but please note that you received a complimentary upgrade from a standard double room to one of our superior rooms which is located on a higher floor.

We were unaware of any issues with the hotel hot water until you brought this to our attention. Our maintenance supervisor could not look at the problem immediately as he was on the way into work, which takes a little time. As the hotel was full, and you needed to shower urgently, our receptionist arranged for a bathroom in one of the bedrooms that departed early to be cleaned for you to use immediately. I understand that this was not an ideal situation, but she wanted to get a bathroom ready for you to use as quickly as possible as you had a train to catch, and felt that your time was too tight to service the room in full - please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused, but let us assure you that we take a very serious approach to customer satisfaction, and should you choose to stay with us again, we will do our best to guarantee that you will find your stay an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, and found this to be a good location for our family of 4. The room was spacious, clean, and nice. The location is good, with an easy walk to shopping and the Castle. This is not a hotel with a large lobby, restaurant, etc., but the staff were very friendly and attentive. We found that we did not have hot water on one occasion, but when we made the staff aware, it was remedied within 15 minutes. Breakfast was continental, but generous, with fruit and meat/cheese. I would recommend this hotel, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Good morning.

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Regards,