“Sunday brunch ”

Ranked #598 of 2,753 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$12 - US$21
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Description: At the heart of Edinburgh's trendy Stockbridge, Hector's is an eclectic mix of upbeat city pub and warm, friendly village local. With big tables and an even bigger drinks list, it's the ideal destination for a laidback catch up with your mates. With weary feet from shopping or after a hectic day at work.
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

I had Sunday brunch here after my friend told me that how amazing is this place. I was not overwhelmed be honest.
It looks cool. I mean the decor is amazing! It has got a good menu however the service wasn't the best. We were waiting to get attention and we got it after I went to the bar to pick up some menus. We ordered and after a very good while had to ask for our food. My friend had eggs florentine which had so much sauce on you could not see the food. My scrambled egg was far too rubbery and cold. That point we were far to hungry and just eat them. However I've been here before just for drinks and that was great. Maybe just this place had a day off. I certainly will give another chance in the future.

General Manager A, Manager at Hectors, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Hi Kat,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We always appreciate feedback regardless of whether it's good or bad. Our brunch is usually very popular and not quite like you have described, so I'm not quite sure what's gone wrong on this occasion. However, I'd love to take the opportunity to invite you and a friend back for brunch on us to prove that this was a one off and that the quality of our breakfasts is usually very good. Please drop me an email to enquiry@hectorsstockbridge.co.uk to arrange this.

Regards

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Nice atmosphere but not impressed with the quality of the food. I've eaten here twice now, and both times my yorkshire pudding has been burnt quite badly. The food was fairly dry, and one of my fellow diners was unable to substitute mushy peas with his fish and chips for normal peas, even though I had normal peas with my roast chicken! A bit strange. Finally we were overbilled, but this was sorted quickly. Bit of a shame as it is such a lovely restaurant and the staff was very friendly. Just need a couple of improvements.

Hi Swayne,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We always appreciate feedback regardless of whether it's good or bad. Our Sunday lunch is usually very popular, and we never normally have any problems supplementing or changing certain aspects of our dishes. (Unfortunately on this occasion, the kitchen had run our of regular garden peas, but had pre-prepared our usual roast vegetable mixture of peas, leaks & onions (of course we should have offered this instead, so I'm sorry this wasn't the case) .

I do hope this won't put you off visiting again in the future

Reviewed 6 October 2017

On a Sunday night we were looking for pub food in the Stockbridge neighborhood of Edinburgh, within walking distance of our hotel. A local recommended Hector's and it turned out to be a real find. We had wonderful scallops with chorizo, which went so well together. For an entree we shared the roast chicken, which turned out to be divine comfort food on a cool rainy night.
One thing that was unfamiliar to us was being asked how large a pour we wanted for our wine--small, medium or large. We told the server that at home a glass of wine is a glass of wine. To demonstrate size she brought over three different sized metal jiggers. We appreciated how helpful she was trying to be, but we still couldn't picture the pours in a wine glass. Then she brought over three glasses with the appropriate pours (of water) in the glasses. To our eyes the large pour seemed the equivalent of a glass of wine in the States.
We continued to enjoy our wine through a dessert of sticky pudding, then sated, happily strolled back to our local hotel. If you're looking for elevated pub fare in Edinburgh I recommend you head to Hector's.

Hi ChinadollRVC,

Thanks for the great review, we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed our food! Here in Scotland, by law we're expected to serve three different sizes of wine, so I'm glad your waitress could help you pick the right size to suit your party, we always strive to be as helpful as possible and go the extra mile with our guests.

Hopefully we'll see you again next time you visit Edinburgh.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

I went in to Hectors for 1st time ever today , as we visited the Stockbridge Sunday market 0 and wanted something to eat - no complaints whatsoever , it was friendly , comfortable and the serving ladies were efficient - I was impressed with my Burger and Chips ( well cooked and made from a Butcher , I am certain , very nice quality meat ) - my wife had the Pork Loin Chops , with coke and a medium wine which only came to £ 29 , so it was good value for money - all in worth visiting - I would say it might be worth it to book a table - as its a busy place ...

Hi,

Thank you so much for the great view. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere, our team's service, and the food you had. As you have said, we do tend to get very busy on Sundays but will always do our utmost to look after walk in guests too.

Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Tom & the Hectors team

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Visited Hectors today for the first time in a couple months as we usually love coming here.
On today's arrival we were told that there was a 30 minute wait on food which we were happy to wait for. However after being sat we waited a further 10 minutes to get our drink orders, even longer for them to eventually return with drinks and once we finally got them another 5 minutes for a different server to return and take our food orders, who again reminded us on the wait on food. So after already waiting this long just to receive our drinks we decided to cut our loses and go elsewhere.
Whilst I totally appreciate that we were informed of a wait on food, the service was slow and staff seemed disorganised with no set sections. We didn't mind waiting on our food but to wait so long just to get our orders taken in the first place was pretty disappointing.

General Manager A, Manager at Hectors, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your recent visit, and i'm sorry to hear things were a little chaotic. We do tend to get very busy on Sundays, so we always recommend that you book, however will do our utmost to look after walk in guests too. I'm sorry on this occasion our team were a little slow to get back to serving your table, and do hope it won't discourage you from visiting again in the future.