“Lovely lamb!”

Description: The Best Kurdish&Middle East food in Scotland
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely lamb!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I visited Nawroz as part of a group of 14 on a Friday night. The service was efficient and pretty quick considering the group size. I had the baba ganouch and naan to start which was really good and the portion size was generous. For my main course I had one of the lamb on the bone dishes - the lamb was juicy and fell away from the bone. Again a very generous portion size although I managed to squeeze in a couple of baklava for dessert! Definitely worth a visit and I hope to go back sometime soon. Free BYOB an added bonus.

• Visited March 2014

Midlothian, United Kingdom
“Always good”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We've visited Nawroz a number of times as a family and have yet to be disappointed. The service is super and the food delicious - the lamb kebabs being particularly tasty. As other reviewers have mentioned - the naan bread is fantastic.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Dundreich
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Simple but tasty.”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

The food was simple, nothing fancy, but delicious. The fresh bread was very good. I had jojah chicken which was really juicy and delicious. They don't serve alcohol, but you can bring your own bottle. I would recommend it.

Visited February 2014
Linlithgow
“Lunch Menu - great value”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Popped into this restaurant by chance and had one of the best value lunches for £7 for two courses. The bread is light and tasty and all four diners enjoyed their dishes. I had barbequed chicken and it was soft, tender and very tasty. It is a comfortable place to sit.

• Visited January 2014
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Set the wayback machine to November of 2013. I am on a two-week journey in Edinburgh for reasons unrelated to food. However, being a food blogger, I made a point to have at least one restaurant experience each day for the purposes of my reviews. I figured that considering the amount of walking I’d been doing, I shouldn’t have had any problem keeping my weight down. By the end of the two weeks, I had gained ten pounds. I blame restaurants like Nawroz for that.
Is this a critical review? Not in the slightest. I’m only saying that with nearly every restaurant I’ve been in, I’ve never seen more generosity in service and portions than businesses specializing in Middle Eastern cuisine. Okay, perhaps I would put them on a tie with the Greeks, but I would much prefer large portions of Middle Eastern cuisine than of Greek.
Yeah, I know, I’m going to get murdered for that one.

I’m not saying that Middle Eastern cuisine is better than Greek cuisine. I’m saying that Middle Eastern cuisine is…clearly better, how can anyone argue with that? I’ve said that certain cuisines become gateways to other cuisines; they stimulate your culinary curiosity while others are gastronomic thunderdomes. Which would I put in the latter category? Obviously American and westernized Chinese. Even sushi is starting to fall into that category. But gateway cuisines? Indian definitely, French and maybe Dutch to lesser degrees, they all open our minds to new ideas, leading to other possibilities. From Indian, you may try Nepalese, Persian, or Moroccan. Of course, if one is talking technicalities, these countries are only lines on a map, and when addressing nutritional anthropology, what you get are hundreds of tribes migrating through history across Africa and Asia, sharing their ideas and techniques.

Comprehending that, suddenly calling a certain cuisine Indian makes no sense, as what classifies as Indian food is actually several different culinary methods which happen to occupy that region. What classifies as Indian changes depending on where in India you are? In fact, naming a cuisine not after a country but a people should be more appropriate. Kurdish cuisine encompasses Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Turkey. With that, there are quite a few foods which the average curioso will recognize. You’ll find falafels, humus, flatbreads, baklava, and shawarma. So what should you do when given such variety? You order it all.

Wait, what?

Nawroz offers various dishes but one is a mixed collection of various starters. So the five of us ended up getting large mixed plates of starters with only two mains, allowing us to share in the traditional Middle Eastern fashion. You don’t order a main and lift from it selfishly. You order a mountainous bowl of food and open the plates of the table to share. This is what you do. Nawroz should be experienced each time as a gathering of friends and family. Invent a celebration if you have to. Someone’s birthday? A wedding? Christmas (which they celebrate at Nawroz ironically), or how about the traditional Iranian new year…which is actually called Nawroz. So the restaurant is named after one of the most boisterous events in all the Middle East; why wouldn’t you take that opportunity? It’s like a restaurant that celebrates Christmas all year round.

The décor is perfect with what it attempts to convey: culture and tradition with mild compromises to operate as a functional restaurant. Red and black chairs over a tiled floor, raw brick on the walls with hanging rugs, tapestries, and paintings. Various regional iconographies rest upon the bar. I can feel the pride of the owners in their culture by the décor of the restaurant and the quality of their food. Even the hummus is molded into a fan, topped with olives. The flatbread is fried, a new first and favorite. The mixed starters ranged from contemporary to intimidating and I devoured each and every one. Even though we had ordered mixed starters for five with only two mains, we couldn’t squeeze another plate of food onto our table. Everything was good and we still had dessert waiting for us—three types of baklava with Turkish delight.
I’ll reiterate my previous point. The various cultures of the Middle East know how to make people welcome and this is reflected in their restaurants. Their food is munificent, huge portions at reasonable prices. With Shezan and Nawroz being so close to each other (walking distance) I know that any future domiciles in Edinburgh would have to be in close proximity to this region so when I entertain visitors, I always have a place to go. I am happy that my small home town has a Persian restaurant—so at least my absence from this cuisine would be short.

DECOR: 9
PLATING: 8
SERVICE: 8
FOOD: 9
VALUE: 10

OVERALL: 8.8 out of 10

• Visited November 2013