“The best place to get a curry in Edinburgh”
Review of Sonar Gao

Sonar Gao
Ranked #1,896 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I have had a take away from here a few times and I am well impressed there Madras is the best I have tasted and there vindaloo is hot and still tastes good, I have only had it delivered to my house so I can not tell you what the place is like but the price is good and the delivery time is fairly fast.

1  Thank scott s

Reviewed 28 July 2012

This indian is by far the best Indian take-away i've tried - seriously surprised and disappointed by the reviews below. We have tried the saag paneer (a must, even for the non-veggies), chana bhaji, north indian garlic chili lamb/chicken, king prawn bhuna, lamb bhuna, bombay potatoes and various starters and all have been fantastic. I think the only disappointement we've ever had was a lamb rogan josh a few months back which lacked the depth of flavour this curry should have.
Service can be a tad unfriendly unless it's the owner man - an particularly off putting when it'sthe young guy glued to his mobile phone behind the counter but the food is fantastic - which is why we visit again and again.

A wee tip is to try the 'mint sauce' with your pakoras instead of the usual dip - it's super yummy!

Reviews and inclusion in The List well deserved!

Reviewed 22 July 2012

My wife and I had a Chicken Bhuna from this place recently and it was the most disgusting curry we have ever had in our lives and we have experienced Indian food from hundreds of Indian take-a-ways and restaurants throughout the UK.
In this particular curry, the chicken was soggy and this was something we have never had with chicken before and this creates the serious question, "Was this chicken raw"?
The sauce (if you could call it sauce as it was mostly oil) had an interesting aroma, but one would have to eat this blind-folded to avoid the fact that it was 50% oil.
The chapatti had deep red markings on it as if someone had not washed their hands before handling it.
The rice and the pakoras were very basic and you could get better than that, in many other take-a-ways.
This was the only time we will ever order from this place - Try at your own risk.

3  Thank RabEdinburgh
Reviewed 10 May 2012

i visited this takeaway couple of days ago.The woman on the counter was the rudest and most unhelpful lady i ever came across.I ordered Samosas and puri and the meat samosas were really ugly tasting it was under cooked and the meat used in the samosas were out of date and you can guess it with the smell instantly.
They need to work harder in order to be in somebody good books.
they should have some one friendly and informative lady at the counter not a rue and unhelpful lady with a very loud tone of voice.
I would never recommend it to anybody.!!

5  Thank Aryan C
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Our home delivery meal was absolutely amazing. Each mouthful had many flavours of fresh herbs & spices, not a basic sauce with some spice powder chucked in, which seems to be standard fare these days sadly. We shall definitely use this restaurant again!