“Lost it’s mojo.....”

Price range: US$26 - US$65
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: At Fishers in the City our ethos is simple; honest food, great service and a relaxed dining experience. Set in an old converted warehouse on Thistle Street, the contemporary surroundings offer the perfect venue for any occasion from a Hot Shellfish Platter to a bowl of mussels on the run. Daily specials, set lunch/ pre-theatre menu and our extensive wine list complement our fresh, seasonal menus.The a la carte menu is available all day, everyday, and of course our Fishers Favourites menu has our guests coming back time and time again. Open ALL day EVERY day.
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

We used to love the Fishers restaurants but it seems a bit stale now.

Our food was ok, service ok, wine was lovely.

Edinburgh is fortunate to have a plethora of restaurants offering creative cooking, superb service and outstanding value. Fishers just doesn’t stack up for me anymore.

Date of visit: September 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,626)

Reviewed 10 September 2018

We had dinner at Fishers yesterday. The mussels that were served smeleld bad and were clearly not fresh. When we pointed this out ot our waitress, she took it back ot the kitchen and repsonded, sorry but we think they taste fine.
So first they serve me old mussles and then they tell me I am just making it up!!! I am a bit worried that the chef does not seem to be able to taste the difference.

Date of visit: September 2018
Claire G, Manager at Fishers in the City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Marcel B,
We are very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your meal.

All of our mussels are thoroughly tracked using the blue tag shellfish tracking labels, which is the industry benchmark. This allows us to know exactly where and when the Mussels were landed and brought to us. On Sunday we received our daily delivery of Mussels, fresh as usual and can assure you they are of the highest standard. We are famous for the shellfish dishes we serve specifically because of their freshness. We in fact sold over 40kg of Mussels yesterday with only yourself raising any complaint. So while we regret you did not enjoy your mussels I can assure you they were certainly fresh and of the quality we would expect at Fishers.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

Just got there by serendipity
We interrupted lovely conversation of young local couple to ask few directions.
We ended up with this suggestion !
We recommend reservation as everywhere in Edinburgh but the hostess managed to accommodate us in a lovely spot.
We ordered pan fried halibut with greens and grouse crown (needed to be explained it is a top of the breast).
It was excellent and Wine was good and affordable .
Go for it!
Highly recommend .

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner visited at the weekend during a trip to Edinburgh. We had asked around for recommendations and a few people had recommended Fishers in the City, so we excited about our food.

We asked the waitress for recommendations of what alcohol would go with the food choices that we had made and she said she did not know. I then said, would you recommend white wine or gin to which she giggled and said that she did not know.

I had ordered a full lobster in garlic butter & my partner ordered scallops and a half lobster. Firstly, my full lobster was smaller than my partners half lobster. Secondly, I had asked for lobster in garlic butter. The butter came in a side dish rather than cooked with the lobster, which is different to anything I had before. The garlic butter had no taste of garlic in it at all - In fact it tasted more like the herbs. All I could taste was mint, which was not what I was expecting & did not taste the way I expected or wanted. I spoke to the waitress who said she had spoken to the chef who confirmed it had garlic in it and that was it.

Overall, we were really disappointed in the lack of knowledge of the team and also the lack of response to feedback. It was not a cheap meal and really disappointed that the cost did not match the overall experience.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank mandykl77
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

After trawling round the city during fringe, we got lucky as they had just had a cancellation and we really did get lucky. The food was delicious , both opting for lobster having shared the smoked salmon to start- best smoked salmon I’ve ever tasted. Overall a brilliant restaurant , lovely staff and next time I’m in Edinburgh I will be booking a table.

Date of visit: August 2018