“An unexpectedly good restaurant”
Review of Gali

Gali
Ranked #1,047 of 2,554 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Excellent Italian
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Despite its unprepossessing exterior, the restaurant provided good Italian food at moderate prices.
The pasta and chicken dishes were excellent and the wine list was satisfactory.

2  Thank David C
There are newer reviews for Gali

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to have dinner here as I had a great desire for Italian food that evening and this was one of the few places that had ravioli in Edinburgh. On entering we were a bit surprised that the inside of the restaurant was much nicer than the outside and that the place was pretty much packed.

And that is where any pleasant experience ended. It took a while for the single worker there to get our drink and appetizer order. The "lemonade" tasted like Sprite. It may have been another 30 mins to get our foccacia (which really looked and tasted like pepperoni pizza) and nothing like the genuine article. So we wait. And wait. And look at the other people NOT eating. NOT being served. We chat about the wait. Ever so often, some people get served. A few people left and we could only deduce that they came to have wine and not food as their tables only had wine glasses and bottles. Finally, we ask the single worker there when will our food be ready and the response was "When you finish your starter". Uh....we can't eat all of the pizza - excuse me - foccacia - on the plate. So I told him that we were ready. And we wait again. Another 30 mins goes by and now the boyfriend and I are upset. I get up and go over to the single worker and ask when will our food be ready. He is now exasperated and said our food will be next.

Tell my boyfriend who is earnestly now against eating here and said more than likely our offd would be spit in and who knows what else. I agree. I am now voicing our thoughts out loud when a table of about 8 behind us gets up to leave. They are French and one woman explains that they waited for a long time and that the service was "horrible" and the little girl (about 4 or so) never got her meal so they'd need to do something for her. It is now after 10pm. Other people are now looking our way as well. I go over to the the single worker and tell him that we no longer want our meal as he holds up my boyfriends plate. He tells me that mine is next (really? when?) and I adamantly refuse. I offer to pay for our drinks and the pizza/foccacia. At which point he slams down the plate and tells me to "GO! Just go!" So we left.

WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS "RESTAURANT".

4  Thank JasmineLilypad
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We visited on saturday night, visiting Edinburgh for my husband birthday as he as never been Plus our scottish friend meeting up with old friends. FIRSTLY I think the fact that a service charge is added to the bill should be advertised or at least you should be told, would save a lot of time when trying to work out your bill. The food was basically just OK!!!, nothing special at all & must add that All our party of 8 felt the portions were very small & quite bland. Will not be returning & would not recommend

3  Thank juliekevin2412
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We have visited Gali restaurant on Friday and Saturday evening, we were in Edinburgh for the week end because we were running the marathon on Sunday morning, happy to say that we have made the right choice. On the second occasion we had to wait a bit longer but it was clearly much busier than the previous evening. The waiting staff kindly give us water as soon as we asked and once the order was taken we didn't really have to wait that long ( considering how busy the restaurant was )....we all chose pasta and really enjoyed it.... If we ever go back to Edinburgh we will be visiting Gali again.. Well done :)

1  Thank Scot1971
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Went there with a group of 11 people. Restaurant was full, but nobody eating... All waiting... Some for the already ordered food, the remaining simply waiting to order...

The only person serving at the tables was completely lost and with no capacity to make things happen... (Trust me... I do have a similar business)

Soon understood that would take too long to start eating, but we were not in a rush so I've decided to help somehow... Got a paper and a pen and wrote the all order (food and drinks) of the group... Took it to the gentlemen, convinced that he would appreciate the fact to save some time, but surprisingly the answer was "you have to wait because the kitchen is too busy"!!!

Felt it like a real punch on the stomach and got no alternative than to leave the restaurant with the all group... Soon other tables did the same...

Resume: Busy days is what any restaurant owner expects...
Bad days always happen, but the arrogance and lack of kindness would never ever be the solution...

No comments about the food... Unfortunately Didn't have the opportunity to taste it ... But with a service like this not even with a Michelin star, thanks.

2  Thank LMMMendes