“Worst B & B I have ever stayed in !” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portobello Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portobello Guest House
Ranked #383 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Kingussie, United Kingdom
“Worst B & B I have ever stayed in !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Arrived and was ushered up two flights of very steep stairs to an attic room - Room 8 I think. Thank goodness I didn't have any luggage. The man who showed me to the room showed me the bathroom then disappeared. The room was furnished with dilapidated furniture painted a disgusting lilac colour. The radiator in the room did not work and the secondary double glazing on the window was stuck, leaving a 10 inch gap at the bottom through which a gale howled right across the bed. I had to plug the gap with my jacket but even then the wind got through. On closer inspection in the morning I saw that the original window frame had a hole in it through which I could see daylight. Bed was clean.

Breakfast next day was basic, obviously made with cheap quality food.

I complained about the quality of the accommodation to the woman who served breakfast but she stopped me in my tracks saying " I only work here". The man who showed me the room the night before then appeared and I began to speak with him but the woman interrupted me saying "and so does he". I asked who the owner was and she said it was the mans uncle. Neither the man nor the woman seemed interested in me, or in rectifying the faults mentioned.
These premises are obviously a money making machine with no thought for its customers and I will never return nor would I recommend it to anyone. Don,t book, find somewhere else. £35 for substandard accommodation and breakfast is not acceptable in this day and age.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank pc107

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

This was a lovely little b&b in a nice place. My room was basic but very clean i was made to feel very at home by annie who is the jewell in the crown and cooks a lovely breakfast aswell!. I hope to visit edinburgh again soon and would be more than happy to stay here. The bus service is great you can travel all day for £3.50 and the 26 bus is only 10mins from the city centre.Thanks steve from basildon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

What a horrible place to spend the night.

Welcome was a cold as the come, though that it was a real pain to assist with my luggage, which I required given the two flights of steep stairs.

Payment was a problem, they had keyed the credit card number incorrectly before I arrived so payment was declined , you would had thought that it was the end of the world and the website said you paid on arrival, asked for and still waiting for the receipt.

The room was okay, little tired, need of decoration; the television was very old buzzed constantly. The milk cartons were out of date. The bed linen was sparse, yet clean.

The communal bathroom right next door to the room was used morning noon and night, by about 4 other rooms it would seem. It was dirty, damp, given no window and no air vent.

Breakfast was an ordeal, had to wait for table, the table was caked with old grease, the breakfast was the worst that I have had in a Scottish guest house, very greasy, cheap salty bacon, poor baked beans, over cooked small egg., no sausage, let alone black pud or haggis. The coffee was rationed to one small cup. Was not offered a choice. The buffet selection was of poor cereals, the toast was self-service in a toaster that desperately required a clean, the orange juice warm out of a carton.

The staff did not care, ask for the receipt in the morning, ‘nothing I can do I only work here’ was the reply, ‘you need to call the owner on his mobile’ (which I did, left message still awaiting a reply 48 hours later). Customer care forget it, just did not want to be there.

Please give this place a miss, paid the same in Edinburgh before and got much better standard and service.

Forget the promised views of the Forth estuary.

Room Tip: Avoid the place.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank CTHTravelUK

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Newry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Obviously prices go up during the festival as I paid 212 for 2 nights bed & breakfast for myself and my 2 children. The guest house is very dated and needs some freshning up especially the bedrooms. The breakfast was minimal only 2 choice of cereals, no ketchup, no sausages, only white bread - and the lady who serves us, cooks and services the rooms as well as dealing with enquiries and checking out guests. She needs more HELP!!!!. Our first morning was like faulty towers!!! I expected alot more and was really disappointed especially after reading the reviews. Good and handy location to and from the city. The bathroom was tiny in the bedroom and the shower was dreadful. The rooms looked clean but check under the beds!!! Would not recommend it was really disappointed - only the lady who look after us was lovely but get her some help!!! The mattresses also need replaced..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Doha, Ad Dawhah, Qatar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

This place is an over priced run down dump. It is on a temporary lease by a foreign man who is making a killing from letting run down, water damaged, bodged up rooms that are so ingrained with years of use that they could do with nothing less than a complete gutting and renovation. The lady who works there, Annie, is a dream and a saint and was the only reason I didn't run screaming from this hole. While she defended her employee you could tell that she heard the complaints on a daily basis. I did not see one happy customer in the 4 nights I was there so the positive reviews amaze me. I have been traveling for two months nd have stayed in 18 hotels and this is the second worse of the bunch. From my experience Any hotel that does not allow cancellation is one you need to stay clear from. The guy doesn't care about his patrons (he's never there but I know a few of the other customers contacted him) he is only there to make a load of money which he is as he's charging hotel rates for a run down hole. To paint a picture the toilet was all broken and all the side walls were completely water damaged. there was carpet around the toilet that had been there since at least the 80's - I could go on for ever but I wish someone had written this review before I went. PS if there are any perspective employers who would like the most dedicated, hard working, friendly, employee you should contact Annie and get her out of there. I have her details if needed. She would be an asset to any hotel or B & B .

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Marie K
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

After 2 nights in Forres in the most beautiful guest house @£70/night we arrived at the Portaloo, sorry, Portabello. From the pictures on booking.com it looked reasonable but as we pulled up outside our hearts sank. It was like arriving at a 1970s tenement block. On entering it got worse. The decor was unchanged for several decades, it smelt dirty and was furnished with what can only be described as charity furniture. The room was tiny with only a sink. It was a shared toilet :( as we were at the top the wifi did not work and the kettle lead was so short that the curtains draped over the kettle next to the plug! The bed was ok and the bedding was clean despite being from the 1960s. Parking was an issue as there was only a tiny forecourt and my car became blocked in by another car. When we wanted to leave in the morning after the minimal (one rasher of bacon, one egg, half a tomato, a small scoop of beans, one coffee) breakfast we had to hunt for the owner of the car. It turned out it was owned by the owner of the B&B who wasn't even out of bed at 930am!!!!! Please spend your £80 on buying a tent instead of staying here. This is THE WORST B&B I have ever stayed in. Please avoid at all costs.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick P
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Great location especially the beach. Hotel was clean but a little tired in places. We had a ground floor room with en suite which was comfy. Breakfast was good with cereal, juice and a cooked meal. The only problem was lack of choice over what you had on your cooked breakfast as no one asked likes or dislikes. Handy location and transport links to Edinburgh and surrounding area and some nice places to eat on Portobello High Street.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple