“Food ok horrbile service”
Review of Grand Cru

Grand Cru
Ranked #1,089 of 2,479 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
“Food ok horrbile service”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I went there with my boyfriend to have lunch. We had a set menu. We got the starters that were very good, but later it tool very long time to get our mains. I think waitress just forgot about us. When we called her to take plates after starters we got the bill.. But ok it fails happpen. However the problem of this place is that service simple doesnt care. Waiting staff was smiling but they spent more time on chatting between each other than on customers. Girls were just standing next to the bar showing back to the tables so was little possibility to gain their attention. The food was tasty, but probably we wont come back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Inedible”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend went for lunch today after hearing that the food here was good. It was disgusting.
I ordered a cheese and ham panini and he a burger with tiger prawns.
When our food came some time later I could immediately smell something was off with my panini. It smelt like s**t! It was utterly inedible. My boyfriend told the waitress who apologised and took this away asking what I would like instead (by this point, the other half way through his lunch!). I asked for some chips and I was given a dinner plate full of what could have been tesco's own chips!! along with a snippy "The cheese is swiss. It is supposed to smell and taste like that!" from a young blonde waitress. Well, thank you!

My boyfriend ate his burger which he said tasted "alright" but again his prawns were inedible as they tasted like re purposed rubber tyres...

My panini was taken off the bill but his was not, and we ended up going to pret on the way home instead as I was still starving and did not want to eat a mountain of fatty chips for my lunch.

0/10 would not go again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Missa R
London, United Kingdom
“The worst restaurant experience I've had in a while. ”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The staff were pleasant enough but the place was clearly understaffed (for a Sunday afternoon). They seemed clueless and had no understanding about anything on the drinks and food menu. The food took an age to come and when it did half the plates (from a party of 6) were sent back to the kitchen as it was cold. The standard of the food was pitiful. Clearly not fresh - the calamari and prawn starters looked and tasted like they had come from the frozen section from a local supermarket. I would strongly discourage anyone to visit this place.

3 Thank AwesomeWelles
Krakow, Poland
“Not so bad”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited Grand Cru for early lunch. Set menu almost 10 pounds - pounds for steak choice or dessert. My brie was tasty but still cold inside, nobody ever checked us back. That is a shame that stuff don't really bother about us. Even that wasn't as much bad, portions were very big and i didn't manage to eat all.

• Visited April 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Everything was terrible”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I am just going to try and keep this as short as possible. Review from couple having a bite to eat whilst out shopping at weekend - usually not that fussy, we are fair and reasonable people - really weren't looking to complain but it was so bad on too many different levels.
1st impression - waitress seated us. Wasn't too busy (maybe 6 tables were occupied) (weekend afternoon 17/05/14)
Another waitress took drink orders - I asked for Soda water and lime (i hate lime cordial) didn't ask if it was fresh lime etc but I as that's what I get everywhere else I assumed it would come as standard with an actual lime but no- It was flat and filled with lime cordial- No big deal ok.
Then they brought a jug of water to the table which looked cloudy. We just put that to the side.
Starters: Camembert and cranberry jelly - There were 3 squares of this and a little jar of jelly - on a plate - that's as much as I can say.
Chicken liver parfait - It looked like a scoop of brown ice cream on a plate with a depressed looking dry salad and some slices of white baguette - not toasted and no chutney to go with it- This is a simple dish- how could it be so wrong- Chef?? The liver parfait was off. My face was like this waiting on food :) when the plate arrived my face went like this :(
Ok, we thought....let's not make a fuss...Maybe the main course will be good and maybe it's just a one off? WRONG!
Duck with pak choi and noodles - Bullet points of this:
*Had to search for any pieces of duck *Was a mountain of greasy salty noodles on my plate *When I found duck it was tough as old boots and dry *It tasted like a microwavable meal from tesco but portion size was about 3 of them. It was turning my stomach as I ate.
Steak, fries and onion rings: (sounds nice doesn't it?)
*Steak was dry and tough as old boots again * pepper sauce had a skin over it and was chalky? *fries were freezing cold and very pale as well as the onion rings - the fries and onion rings looked like ice land frozen food.
Throughout this whole time, several waitresses were standing by the till talking and wandering about aimlessly, even when you called 'excuse me' they just ignored. My husband left the table to go outside for an important call BEFORE the mains arrived. They must've noticed this as he took ages, however when they brought the mains out they never asked if he was coming back, or if I want mine only, or if I want a plate to cover it up til he gets here etc. They were useless. And...This is the worst part...When one other girl came over half way through main course and asked if everything was ok? I said.. 'not particularly' and her reply was?? 'Ok Thanks' !!!!!
Not usually bothered about writing reviews for every single place I go to but really this was shocking...even my trip to the bathroom...I walked in and walked back out, disgusting. There were also mop buckets which smelled etc all sitting outside the kitchen door. I would love to have a look around this kitchen as I just got the impression that it was a bomb site. I wish I had asked to see it at the time. If only I would've looked at trip advisor before I went I would not have gone here. I was going to write a review when I got home but I had to go to bed as had a sore stomach and I won't go into detail. I actually work in the hospitality industry and think this place seriously needs a look at by some professional. The place used to be good when it first opened but they need a look at - the kitchen staff/toilet cleaning rota and update/ staff service training/menu/presentation/stock rotation/ health and safety in kitchen???? general standards?

• Visited May 2014