“Bar staff grumpy ”

Haymarket
Ranked #839 of 2,554 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$4 - US$24
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You will find Haymarket in Edinburgh within a short stroll of Haymarket Station, Princes Street and Tynecastle and Murrayfield Stadiums - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Drink was fine, decent prices for Edinburgh so can't grumble at that however the bar staff just looked like they'd rather be anywhere else, they were efficient enough but my god they were miserable! Was glad to leave!!

2  Thank Loopylou9
There are newer reviews for Haymarket

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Myself & two friends went to Edinburgh for a short break and The Haymarket was recommended to us by our hotel receptionist. We visited twice while we were in Edinburgh and on both occasions found the food to be absolutely impeccable. Could not fault a single thing. It was very busy when we arrived however we didn't wait long to have our orders taken or for the food to arrive. I can thoroughly recommend the chicken & mushroom pie but be warned it is very big! The staff couldn't do enough for us and I will definitely be coming back.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Haymarket itself is just across the road from the Haymarket station and looks great, kind of traditional old style but classically refurbished.

There was one other table in the dining area and several groups in the other bar section. I ordered the Fish & Chips and a non alcoholic drink. The food arrived very promptly and was an acceptable sized serving however for £11, I would of appreciated a few more chips or mushy peas.

The fish itself was only 'just ok'. My main issue was that it was over cooked and appeared to have either been cooked in oil that was too hot temperature wise or that was not clean as the colour of the fish batter was very dark. The batter itself had lots of black burnt bits in the batter, perhaps suggesting that the oil was dirty (or a lumpy batter). Not Great. (See pictures).

On a positive note, the waiter was very attentive and regularly checked back with me to see if I was ok, offered extra sauces, more drinks and was generally friendly and polite - something that can be lacking in major cities.

Overall, I would go back to the Haymarket, as I do want to try some of their real ales next time (when not working) but do feel its a bit expensive for what I got.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I liked the vibe in here, it was relaxed and welcoming. For a pub where you order food at the bar I found it a little expensive but enjoyed what I had to eat (lamb shank pie). The OH had a burger and also enjoyed it. The pub was clean and warm and had a pleasant atmosphere. I would go back again when in the area.

3  Thank Mary1967
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We went here for dinner when one of our colleagues was moving away to another project. When we arrived at 5.30 the place was absolutely dead. I have to say though I was pleasantly surprised at how cosy the place felt. I was expecting a shabby train station pub like any number of others I've been in but this was actually quite pleasant and felt like an Edinburgh pub should. The toilets were also very clean. However, the menu was fairly dull to start with and actually rather expensive £13 for a chicken burger! The quality of the food was ok when it did finally arrive, better than the average pub but then also more expensive than the average pub. We waited an hour to order food and then another hour for it to arrive, there were 8 of us dining so we expected a small wait but not that much. We were not offered more drinks particularly frequently and the waitress looked like she'd rather be anywhere else but serving our food. She was also a little rude to one of our party who has particular dietary requirements and so was asking about the preparation of the food. The plates were actually removed from the table fairly promptly but then it was a half an hour wait before we were asked if we'd like dessert or coffee. We were in the pub 4 hours and left directly after dessert. On the plus side the place has a nice atmosphere so it's probably a nice place to go to grab drinks but I won't be eating there again.

2  Thank Emma C
Derek M, General Manager at Haymarket, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hi EmsyD85. Can you please reply with the day and date you visited as I would very much like to look into this a little further.
We strive to give the best service, standards and products at all times and obviously according to your review this did not happen?
Can I please point out though that a Chicken Burger is only £7.95, not the £13 that you said in your review.
Here is a link to our Menu http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/haymarketedinburgh/food/
I look forward to your response.

Derek.