“GOOD FOOD FRIENDLY SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Haymarket

Haymarket
Ranked #802 of 2,448 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$4 - US$23
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: You will find Haymarket in Edinburgh within a short stroll of Haymarket Station, Princes Street and Tynecastle and Murrayfield Stadiums - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.
Dublin, Ireland
“GOOD FOOD FRIENDLY SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Myself and my family saw this pub while staying at the local premier inn haymarket so we thought we would give it a go and we were not disappointed, The menu was good and very good value with a £9 offer, my husband availed of this and enjoyed a hearty chicken and mushroom pie with veg and chips and for £1 extra he had a large glass of Peroni beer, I had the chicken tikka masala with popadoms , mango chutney and chips 9.95 and my son had chicken burger and chips with a soft drink for £9. We all enjoyed our dinner and would definetly go back, the ladies that served us were very friendly and attentive. I would recommend this pub for both food and a good glass of cold beer.

• Visited April 2014

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not the real deal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Called in here a few days ago and wasn’t terribly impressed. The place itself felt soul-less and plastic, like an updated version of those horribly fabricated “Watneys Red Barrel” pubs from the 1970’s that tried to look traditional but instead just looked fake. It might fool the tourists and it’s fine if you like that kind of nouveau-trad but it sure isn’t my cup of real ale. To my mind, it had a distinctly unwelcoming atmosphere not aided by the staff being amongst the grumpiest, unfriendliest bar folk it has ever been my displeasure to encounter. Perhaps we caught them on a bad night and they’d been told they were getting a 25% pay cut that night. Or perhaps they are just grumpy and unfriendly. If you like your pubs to feel real and you prefer to drink in an establishment that actually welcomes your business and treats you like an old friend rather than something you just brought in from the street on your shoe, there are two cracking pubs just around the corner in Morrison Street – Thomsons Bar and Carters Bar – that amply and effortlessly demonstrate exactly why it’s called the “hospitality” business. Those that do it well know that there is much more to it than just shifting pints to passing punters.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Nick523
Bannockburn, Scotland
“Bar staff grumpy ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Drink was fine, decent prices for Edinburgh so can't grumble at that however the bar staff just looked like they'd rather be anywhere else, they were efficient enough but my god they were miserable! Was glad to leave!!

2 Thank Loopylou9
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“One Not To Miss !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Myself & two friends went to Edinburgh for a short break and The Haymarket was recommended to us by our hotel receptionist. We visited twice while we were in Edinburgh and on both occasions found the food to be absolutely impeccable. Could not fault a single thing. It was very busy when we arrived however we didn't wait long to have our orders taken or for the food to arrive. I can thoroughly recommend the chicken & mushroom pie but be warned it is very big! The staff couldn't do enough for us and I will definitely be coming back.

• Visited March 2014
Bury St Edmunds
“Has Potential. Average Fish & Chips, Attentive Waiter.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Haymarket itself is just across the road from the Haymarket station and looks great, kind of traditional old style but classically refurbished.

There was one other table in the dining area and several groups in the other bar section. I ordered the Fish & Chips and a non alcoholic drink. The food arrived very promptly and was an acceptable sized serving however for £11, I would of appreciated a few more chips or mushy peas.

The fish itself was only 'just ok'. My main issue was that it was over cooked and appeared to have either been cooked in oil that was too hot temperature wise or that was not clean as the colour of the fish batter was very dark. The batter itself had lots of black burnt bits in the batter, perhaps suggesting that the oil was dirty (or a lumpy batter). Not Great. (See pictures).

On a positive note, the waiter was very attentive and regularly checked back with me to see if I was ok, offered extra sauces, more drinks and was generally friendly and polite - something that can be lacking in major cities.

Overall, I would go back to the Haymarket, as I do want to try some of their real ales next time (when not working) but do feel its a bit expensive for what I got.

• Visited February 2014