“Nice city hotel”

Ranked #80 of 391 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Solothurn, Schweiz
“Nice city hotel”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The rooms are really nice, when you are staying in the main hous. The neighbour house is less good but still OK. Breakfast is not perfect and could be better. By bus the hotel lies within 10 minutes from the center. Foot distance to Princess Street / The Caledonian is almost 20 mins..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed 17th -19th August during Edinburgh festival and it was a last minute booking. I was unable to book a hotel in the centre of the city but the haymarket hotel is only 3 mins walk away from Haymarket railway station.
Being away from the centre has its advantages as well as its disadvantages- it's much quieter .
It is 15 mins walk to Princes street .
The room was fine and had an ensuite , plasma tv , tea /coffee facilities but certainly is only suitable as a base .
Breakfast is included and there is the option of a full Scottish breakfast at no extra charge.
Sarah was brilliant. I had to leave early on Monday and she offered to do me a cooked breakfast even though it was half hour earlier than the set meal time, she came looking for me the night before to check on what I wanted that so she could have it ready for me . She made sure I had soya milk and nothing was too much trouble. I hope The Haymarket appreciate her.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank angelique5
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed here with my fiance and it was just okay. We were given a double room on the top floor which was decorated nicely and first impressions were pleasing. However on the days we stayed there it was extremely hot weather and due to the level of our room, the heat was unbearable. We told the staff and were given a small table fan. Unfortunately, this did absolutely nothing towards cooling the large room. We had a terrible nights sleep due to the heat and couldn't wait to get outside the following morning. Of course we understand that Edinburgh isn't known for its hot weather but there should be contingency plans for the odd occasion when it is hot- especially for the top floor rooms.
The cooked breakfast was okay, but by no means anything special. The staff seemed stressed and often disappeared for lengthy amounts of time.
The atmosphere about this hotel was lacking. Sadly we wont be going back.

• Stayed July 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We came in the middle of Festival times to Edinburgh and thus had difficulties finding a decent hotel with a 3-bed hotel room. After having checked a few with availability we eventually choose the Haymarket Coates Garden at the price of 135 GPB for this room incl. breakfast. Walking distance to the Castle and many restaurants to choose from...

Room Tip: Select one with a view facing the street rather than the back side if possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michael c
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Overall, this is a very nice place to stay while in Edinburgh. It's only steps away from the airport shuttle bus stop. My room was large, nicely decorated and the bathroom was updated and spotless. The staff was very friendly and and helpful. I didn't have the breakfast so i cant comment on the quality, but the price seemed a bit high. My room was on the 4th floor so if you don't like climbing stairs, ask for a lower unit (no elevators). Getting to the center of Edinburg is a good 15 minute walk, but very straightforward and through nice neighborhoods.

The only negative comment i have is the wifi access. It was spotty at best and while I was told a strong signal was available in the common areas, that really wasn't the case.

Would I stay here again? Definitely.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower level room if you don't like climbing stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Scottsdale_Rick
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my mum for an Edinburgh city break. The location is brilliant; close to the station and only a 15min walk to central Edinburgh. We stayed in a twin room in the basement. The room had enough space but smelt a bit damp and smoky. The view from the window was just a scruffy yard and next to our room there was a small space full of ladders etc. It was also quite dusty in some places. The bathroom is very modern but throughout our stay there was a strong unpleasant smell coming from the bathroom. We couldn't tell if it was the pipes, the toilet brush or maybe something hadn't been cleaned properly. We had to close the bathroom door overnight and keep the fan on so the smell didn't come into the bedroom. We didn't complain as it was impossible to tell properly where the smell was coming from.
The breakfast was fine and staff were wonderful and provided fast service. I don't think i will be returning as it was quite highly priced (£90p/n).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This hotel is a good value for a very nice room. The room was clean and spacious. The bath was clean and updated. Breakfast was excellent and plentiful. The bus stop is a very short walk and walking to the central part of town, a little long, but wonderful sights along the way. Pubs and restaurants are close by. The staff is friendly and helpful.We had to walk up 3 flights of stairs, but staff helped carry our luggage. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple