“Fantastic hotel fantastic service!”
Review of Haymarket Hotel

Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #77 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We will be back! I'm already planning our next visit! 1 minute walk from haymarket train station. We arrived at around 7.30pm To be greeted warmly from a lovely lady manager. Our room was down stairs. Complete with patio and four poster bed. Newly floored. I was expecting nice but this was lovely. Great night sleep. Topped off with a full Scottish breakfast. Then back to our room to relax as check out not until 11am. On checking out we mentioned not going back to Glasgow until 6pm and the same lovely manager lady offered to keep our luggage safe until then! How nice. Great value for money as well. I will be a repeat guest.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had a night stay for our transit to Dundee via the train and found this place a gem. If you don't have heavy baggage you can take an airport bus which stops quite near to it. We chose this hotel as it is situated a stone throw from the train station. We had a hearty British Full Breakfast which was served adjacent to the reception. Friendly staff and clean room. Would recommend to all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I arrived at the Haymarket Hotel a week ago as part of a group of 9 on my own stag party. Now before I go on, I acknowledge that stag parties can be a nuisance but we are a mature group of close friends & family who are all grown up professionals mostly married with children etc.

When we arrived we were met a large stern woman who immediately asked if we were a stag party. She then accused us of having all booked separately to disguise the fact that we were a group as it's the hotel policy not to accept stags. Now we did all book separately and through an online booking site, but there was nothing underhanded about that. It was purely because we were all using our own credit cards to book. We were then told that there was only 1 key per room despite some of use being in triple rooms. Then we were confused by a baffling array of instructions on what to twist, press and pull so as to lock / unlock the bedroom doors. She was rude to say the least as she threatened us with behaving or being thrown out the following day.

Next, there was 2x towels left in a room set up for 3x people. I requested towels. They never came until I asked again the next morning. Also the shower door was completely broken off meaning the bathroom presented a serious slip hazard. The rooms was so filthy you could see dust clinging to the wallpaper and around the corners of the floor was like Santa Claus beard with dust.

The Wifi only works in the lobby / bar and at that is barely functional. On the subject of the bar, there was only one staff member working at a time so if a guest arrived whilst you wanted a drink you might wait 10 minutes for the "do it all" staff member to return.

Last but not least. My brother left €220 cash in the room. Stupid I know, but in this case not the point. The room was serviced and guess what, the money was gone! He reported this to staff and got a pathetic response along the lines that they really trusted their cleaner and perhaps he lost it himself.

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in despite their not-too-cheap prices. I say this having being fortunate enough to have travelled much of the globe staying in very many hotels. I would sooner sleep on the platform of the nearby Haymarket Train Station than risk being abused / robbed at the 3rd world Haymarket Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else / leave no valuables in the room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank gavin_Dublin
haymarket101, Owner at Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

I have been in the Hotel business for 20 years, I've raised the occasional eyebrow at what I would consider an inaccurate review but never responded taking the view they tend to even themselves out, that is until I read this one.

Let me give a factual account of what really happened over the weekend this group stayed.
I am the owner of Lairg Hotels Ltd incorporating the Haymarket and Lairg Hotels and was present when the "large stern woman" ( Elaine is a valued member of staff of 15 years standing) greeted the group on arrival, Elaine asked if the group was a stag party, yes was the response, Elaine pointed out the Hotel does not as a rule accept hen or stag parties. they can be disruptive to other guests who come to enjoy a relaxing weekend, not to find themselves in the middle of a raucous stag weekend,this one had flown under the radar as the bookings had come in individually, not as a single group booking, none the less she went on, they were very welcome to enjoy our hospitality and they would be well looked after but the Hotel would not countenance bad behaviour, frankly she would not have been doing her job properly if she hadn't forewarned the group of the consequences of disrupting other guests. I was there but none the less reviewed the CCTV account of the check in to re enforce my memory of it, Elaine was nothing less than professional, polite and charming, the footage totally belies the writers account of the check in.

As for the room door locks, it is a pretty simple system, you insert the key , turn it and the door opens, if you want to lock it from the inside you press a button, when pointed out, the simplicity of this was not lost on those members of the group who couldn't work it out for themselves, at the time they found it quite hilarious, for the avoidance of doubt I typed the key word "locks" into some 3,000 reviews over The Haymarket and Lairg Hotels, not a single comment on our door locks.

As for the rooms being "so filthy you could see dust clinging to the wallpaper and around the corners of the floor was like Santa Claus beard with dust " don't believe a word of this, we run at 80% plus for our cleanliness over 1500 reviews. I think the understanding of this review will become much clearer when I fast forward to address the issue of the "stolen 220 euros"

The Haymarket Hotel is happy to be accountable for money handed over for safe keeping, it then becomes our responsibility and if the money goes missing we are duty bound to replace it, in this instance the "stolen" money was placed under a mattress on the Friday afternoon of check-in, a room occupied by other members of the stag party, the money was reported stolen to my son on Sunday morning 10 am, the day of the groups departure.

Contrary to the writers assertion that our response was pathetic, in fact my son phoned me immediately the "theft" was reported, my initial shock was tempered when it became clear the lock had not been forced and that the writer had suggested it must have been our chambermaid who took the money when she cleaned the room on Saturday morning, a plausible assumption but a highly unlikely one given the chambermaid has worked for the Hotel for 3 years, routinely cleans rooms with valuables left in them and nothing has been reported missing from her rooms before, also given the time constraints to clean a room there just isn't the time to take a room apart to look for potentially hidden money, it would be very fortuitous indeed to stumble upon the money which was, we were told, placed underneath and right in the middle of the mattress. That leaves the other 8 members of the stag group but no, the writer made it clear, even though they had the greater opportunity it couldn't possibly have been one of them. I discussed all this with my son and put it to him he should suggest we bring the police in but I was astonished to learn the group had gone for a leisurely breakfast before collecting their luggage and flying back to Dublin, rather than wait to sort out what was a very serious accusation.

My son did phone the police but the writer said the group could not wait for their arrival, they would be coming back shortly to collect their luggage and head off to the airport , this is when the writer dropped his bombshell, he advised my son the group had a great weekend in Edinburgh, a wonderful stay at The Haymarket Hotel, they were all very happy with the rooms, the staff were friendly BUT if they didn't receive 220 euro from the Hotel for the "missing" money they would "post the review from hell" since "they know how the review system works and the potential damage to the Hotel of a bad review ,naturally we don't give in to blackmail and here we have it a review that is malicious, fictitious and bordering on liable.

For those potential guests thinking of booking The Haymarket Hotel please don't be put off by this review. We have a small friendly team of staff dedicated to making your stay as enjoyable as possible not to search under your mattress looking for your hidden money. I am also happy to announce we are presently spending £1 million + to add 15 new bedrooms and to upgrade existing rooms so that our clients can experience an even better customer experience in 2014

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel is a couple of minutes from Haymarket station. Very helpful staff particularly the manager. Very clean rooms and great breakfast. We would definitely stay there again if we return to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Hotel has ground and two floors so if you don't do stairs ask for lower floor room. Our double r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We booked this on Hotel.com and were told we were getting a pink themed room with white furniture and a large walk in shower.
We were disappointed to be on the top floor in what seems like the kids room. The room had three single beds and there was only two hand towels , no face cloths and no soap.
I think it was because the cleaner had forgotten although maybe they don't supply them?
The shower room was very small, the toilet seat was wobbly, the flow of water in the shower was very weak and not particularly hot.
Also, we had to walk next door to the dining room and the full English breakfast was luke warm and both the poached and the fried eggs were rock hard!
All in all not somewhere I would recommend to my friends although on the plus side it was clean.
The sheets were all fresh and the room had been vacuumed but it was too far away from the main part of town for a quick walk in to find a restaurant.
We asked for a recommendation and when we got to the restaurant we were told that we had to book?
We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank HES309
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The web site photos of the rooms look great. The location one train stop from Edinburgh city centre was convenient.easy to get a frequent train in to town.Taxis also plentiful outside station about 100 yards away.
Our room a late booking was unfortunately for us up 6 flights of stairs. On arrival we were asked to pay in full and never saw a member of staff to talk to again,apart from the hurried friendly breakfast staff in the other part of the hotel next door. Our room small but newly decorated with a moder
n bathroom was ok on arrival apart from one curtain hook on the floor .the following day we came back to find the toilet dirty urine and faeces splashes around the bowl edge not there when we left. I cleaned this myself with shampoo. The shower also hadn't been cleaned hairs all over it ,I cleaned this as well. The curtain hook had a second one by it and they were hanging down one side.my shoes hadn't been moved so obviously the wooden floor hadn't been swept.
There was a bar but the first look as you come in is double doors leading into a half lit room with covers on tables or chairs. It's only when you've dismissed it and are on the stairs you realise the back half is actually open.
I felt that this hotel must be managed and badly at that no check is made on cleaning or servicing.no idea how to create ambience and no staff training , but hey....they were full so I guess no one cares.
We were going to raise The issues on cleanliness when we left but in spite of ringing the reception bell no one came so we walked out.

Room Tip: Ask how many flights of stairs,it seems the ground floor rooms are down stairs and all others are up...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tricia B
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My Husband and I spent the weekend 23-25 August in this hotel and had a lovely time. The room we were in was excellent and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfasts were tasty and plentiful. A continental or full Scottish breakfast, fruit juice, fresh fruit, porridge etc.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple