Haymarket Hotel
US$207
US$201
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$150
US$358
US$325
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$270
  • Bar/Lounge
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$182
  • Restaurant
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$152
Agoda.com
US$221
US$201
  • Pool
All reviewscity centrebuilding next doorno lifttriple roomtram stoprecommend this hotelstay there againfamily roomminute walkcooked breakfastcomfortable roomfull scottish breakfasthotel is greatwalk in showerflat screen tvpubs and restaurantsenjoyed my stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Well to be fair we booked this last minute for the princly sum of £42 room only. So lets be fair, I wasnt expecting much!

When we arrived soon after arrival at haymarket station, as it is literally accross the road pretty much. we were met by a very nice lady who immediatly welcomed us warmly and showed us to our room, which had been selected for us based on the fact that i was an adult travelling with a 14 year old and 6 month old baby in a pram. I was really touched that they had taken the time to make the effort to give me a room that was easily accessable with a pram and luggage etc, so great start!

The room itself was on first impression very nice with a huge four poster bed and a single for my son in the corner. Linens all matched and bathroom was modern and clean. Upon closer inspection though i felt it was a wee tad run down and maybe needs a wee update in the decor department, but all in all it was still well worth the 42 pounds i paid.

Sleep iotself wasnt easy as the bed squeaked almost at the slightest move, so have to say they could do with a man and a screwdriver to get in there and sort it out. the room was also situated next to the breakfast room so if you use the hotel room 12 is a killer if you want a lie in... (very noisy in the morning and the smell of bacon and sausage is divine, if you are not booked in for room only, which we were) :(

Now here is my gripe. everything went swimmingly as i said apart from the squeaky bed and lack of sleep and smell of sausage.... what annoyed me, was the fact that we accidently left a key in the room which belonged to me and after emailing them i was returned a mail stating that i can only have my property back if i send them a stamped addressed envelope or go in person to collect it. this is a KEY we are talking about, probably a 60p stamp. I feel our stay has been some what marred by the aftercare service and this silly little detail, and because of it i wouldnt recommend it.

Room Tip: not room 12
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ann T
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We will be back! I'm already planning our next visit! 1 minute walk from haymarket train station. We arrived at around 7.30pm To be greeted warmly from a lovely lady manager. Our room was down stairs. Complete with patio and four poster bed. Newly floored. I was expecting nice but this was lovely. Great night sleep. Topped off with a full Scottish breakfast. Then back to our room to relax as check out not until 11am. On checking out we mentioned not going back to Glasgow until 6pm and the same lovely manager lady offered to keep our luggage safe until then! How nice. Great value for money as well. I will be a repeat guest.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had a night stay for our transit to Dundee via the train and found this place a gem. If you don't have heavy baggage you can take an airport bus which stops quite near to it. We chose this hotel as it is situated a stone throw from the train station. We had a hearty British Full Breakfast which was served adjacent to the reception. Friendly staff and clean room. Would recommend to all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I arrived at the Haymarket Hotel a week ago as part of a group of 9 on my own stag party. Now before I go on, I acknowledge that stag parties can be a nuisance but we are a mature group of close friends & family who are all grown up professionals mostly married with children etc.

When we arrived we were met a large stern woman who immediately asked if we were a stag party. She then accused us of having all booked separately to disguise the fact that we were a group as it's the hotel policy not to accept stags. Now we did all book separately and through an online booking site, but there was nothing underhanded about that. It was purely because we were all using our own credit cards to book. We were then told that there was only 1 key per room despite some of use being in triple rooms. Then we were confused by a baffling array of instructions on what to twist, press and pull so as to lock / unlock the bedroom doors. She was rude to say the least as she threatened us with behaving or being thrown out the following day.

Next, there was 2x towels left in a room set up for 3x people. I requested towels. They never came until I asked again the next morning. Also the shower door was completely broken off meaning the bathroom presented a serious slip hazard. The rooms was so filthy you could see dust clinging to the wallpaper and around the corners of the floor was like Santa Claus beard with dust.

The Wifi only works in the lobby / bar and at that is barely functional. On the subject of the bar, there was only one staff member working at a time so if a guest arrived whilst you wanted a drink you might wait 10 minutes for the "do it all" staff member to return.

Last but not least. My brother left €220 cash in the room. Stupid I know, but in this case not the point. The room was serviced and guess what, the money was gone! He reported this to staff and got a pathetic response along the lines that they really trusted their cleaner and perhaps he lost it himself.

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in despite their not-too-cheap prices. I say this having being fortunate enough to have travelled much of the globe staying in very many hotels. I would sooner sleep on the platform of the nearby Haymarket Train Station than risk being abused / robbed at the 3rd world Haymarket Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else / leave no valuables in the room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank gavin_Dublin
haymarket101, Owner at Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

I have been in the Hotel business for 20 years, I've raised the occasional eyebrow at what I would consider an inaccurate review but never responded taking the view they tend to even themselves out, that is until I read this one.

Let me give a factual account of what really happened over the weekend this group stayed.
I am the owner of Lairg Hotels Ltd incorporating the Haymarket and Lairg Hotels and was present when the "large stern woman" ( Elaine is a valued member of staff of 15 years standing) greeted the group on arrival, Elaine asked if the group was a stag party, yes was the response, Elaine pointed out the Hotel does not as a rule accept hen or stag parties. they can be disruptive to other guests who come to enjoy a relaxing weekend, not to find themselves in the middle of a raucous stag weekend,this one had flown under the radar as the bookings had come in individually, not as a single group booking, none the less she went on, they were very welcome to enjoy our hospitality and they would be well looked after but the Hotel would not countenance bad behaviour, frankly she would not have been doing her job properly if she hadn't forewarned the group of the consequences of disrupting other guests. I was there but none the less reviewed the CCTV account of the check in to re enforce my memory of it, Elaine was nothing less than professional, polite and charming, the footage totally belies the writers account of the check in.

As for the room door locks, it is a pretty simple system, you insert the key , turn it and the door opens, if you want to lock it from the inside you press a button, when pointed out, the simplicity of this was not lost on those members of the group who couldn't work it out for themselves, at the time they found it quite hilarious, for the avoidance of doubt I typed the key word "locks" into some 3,000 reviews over The Haymarket and Lairg Hotels, not a single comment on our door locks.

As for the rooms being "so filthy you could see dust clinging to the wallpaper and around the corners of the floor was like Santa Claus beard with dust " don't believe a word of this, we run at 80% plus for our cleanliness over 1500 reviews. I think the understanding of this review will become much clearer when I fast forward to address the issue of the "stolen 220 euros"

The Haymarket Hotel is happy to be accountable for money handed over for safe keeping, it then becomes our responsibility and if the money goes missing we are duty bound to replace it, in this instance the "stolen" money was placed under a mattress on the Friday afternoon of check-in, a room occupied by other members of the stag party, the money was reported stolen to my son on Sunday morning 10 am, the day of the groups departure.

Contrary to the writers assertion that our response was pathetic, in fact my son phoned me immediately the "theft" was reported, my initial shock was tempered when it became clear the lock had not been forced and that the writer had suggested it must have been our chambermaid who took the money when she cleaned the room on Saturday morning, a plausible assumption but a highly unlikely one given the chambermaid has worked for the Hotel for 3 years, routinely cleans rooms with valuables left in them and nothing has been reported missing from her rooms before, also given the time constraints to clean a room there just isn't the time to take a room apart to look for potentially hidden money, it would be very fortuitous indeed to stumble upon the money which was, we were told, placed underneath and right in the middle of the mattress. That leaves the other 8 members of the stag group but no, the writer made it clear, even though they had the greater opportunity it couldn't possibly have been one of them. I discussed all this with my son and put it to him he should suggest we bring the police in but I was astonished to learn the group had gone for a leisurely breakfast before collecting their luggage and flying back to Dublin, rather than wait to sort out what was a very serious accusation.

My son did phone the police but the writer said the group could not wait for their arrival, they would be coming back shortly to collect their luggage and head off to the airport , this is when the writer dropped his bombshell, he advised my son the group had a great weekend in Edinburgh, a wonderful stay at The Haymarket Hotel, they were all very happy with the rooms, the staff were friendly BUT if they didn't receive 220 euro from the Hotel for the "missing" money they would "post the review from hell" since "they know how the review system works and the potential damage to the Hotel of a bad review ,naturally we don't give in to blackmail and here we have it a review that is malicious, fictitious and bordering on liable.

For those potential guests thinking of booking The Haymarket Hotel please don't be put off by this review. We have a small friendly team of staff dedicated to making your stay as enjoyable as possible not to search under your mattress looking for your hidden money. I am also happy to announce we are presently spending £1 million + to add 15 new bedrooms and to upgrade existing rooms so that our clients can experience an even better customer experience in 2014

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel is a couple of minutes from Haymarket station. Very helpful staff particularly the manager. Very clean rooms and great breakfast. We would definitely stay there again if we return to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Hotel has ground and two floors so if you don't do stairs ask for lower floor room. Our double room on 2nd floor was great
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple