“Disappointing :(”
Review of Haymarket Hotel

Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #71 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2014

On arrival felt we'd made a good choice, location fine, reception and bar area nice with welcoming staff. Downhill from there. We had booked two family rooms for our trip to see the pandas. One room still had the previous occupants sanitary wear in the bathroom bin and a toilet which hadn't been washed very well with dried vomit on the outside. I then checked the bin in the second bathroom and when I pressed the pedal the lid flew across the bathroom! It wasn't a nice condition to pick up and put back. We noticed the shower plughole cover thing wasn't over the plughole but we put that down to absent minded cleaning. We were wrong, when we showered the next morning after replacing the cover we found the water didn't run away but the shower tray filled up, we removed the cover but that only helped a little. Once showered we constructed a dam from the used towels to prevent the overflow reaching the bedroom. Hey ho off to breakfast. After a lengthy wait I attempted scrambled egg which had the texture of shredded insoles whilst my son's girlfriend surrendered to a bacon sandwich complete with long hair running through the whole length. We gave in at this point and checked out. The guy on reception refunded the cost of two of the breakfasts and gave a half hearted apology but I expected better for £125 per room per night. Won't be returning.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is one.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Not stayed here in last 10-15 years but again very satisfied with the stay. On arrival receptionist very welcoming and room and bathroom clean and fresh. Décor of room very stylish with very comfortable beds for a lovely sleep. The hotel is off the main road and traffic/noise is not an issue at night in our experience.
In the morning a varied selection on offer for breakfast, took a little while for staff to take an order from us but they were very busy.
Location is perfect, you are a 2 min walk away from Haymarket train station, stops for trams and buses. Princess street within walking distance for a bit of retail therapy (walking wouldn't suit everyone though but I do not mind walking anywhere).
All in all very happy with our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank orkney2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here over the weekend of the 6th June. Great location, 2 mins from Haymarket station. Easy access to the centre of Edinburgh. Very accommodating, my room was not ready when I arrived and I was promptly moved to another room. This was located next door at the Buchan, still the same hotel though. Room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was great, as it should be, full 'Scottish' fare, staff very attentive. I would certainly recommend this hotel. I am returning again to Edinburgh in September but unfortunately they have no accommodation available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Scotsman2110
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel our last night in the City and I wish I had discovered it sooner. It is an easy walk to all kinds of pubs and restaurants. And, while the building is close to 200 years old you would never know it by the quality of the room. We had the family suite and it was lovely...also very quiet. Staff was accommodating and helpful

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank beatrice1
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is good enough to miss it a little.

advantages:
- it is well situated. 7 minutes walk from Haymarket railway station.
- staff is just excellent. They took us as kind of their relatives, we felt very comfortable about that.
- breakfast is tasty and rich and served fast.

disadvantages
- our room had very week main door and doorlock.
- the water heater is not effective enough, it gave quite tiny water stream. Such a heater suites for a small house in the country, not for a city hotel.

One could also say that going to the breakfast via street is not comfortable but we didn't see any problem in that.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a fabulous experience at the Haymarket. As a family of five, we stayed in a family room, which had a four poster bed and although the room was designed for four, the staff even brought in a full bed for us rather than a camp bed when we enquired about accommodating an additional person. The room was spacious and bright. The location of the hotel is perfect, close to many small interesting shops and within easy walking distance of the centre of Edinburgh. The breakfast was lovely and free wifi was good. Above all, the staff were some of the friendliest I have come across and made our stay all the better. The only negative point was the unreliable temperature on the showers, but this didn't detract much from the overall experience.
A gem of a hotel, great value for money and highly recommended for a short stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is extremely convenient, just a block from the Haymarket train station and Airlink airport bus stop. It's traditional on the outside and fairly modern on the inside. It was very clean, and the staff were very friendly. However, it is a bit more expensive than the guesthouses down the street, and I could not get the wifi to work. Since wifi is necessary for me to get internet access with my American smartphone (not set up for use in UK), this was quite a nuisance. Also, the shower door was missing.