“Hit and Miss”

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Ranked #105 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with a group of people. We were all on different floors and all had very different experiences.
Check in and ALL staff was exceptional. Pleasant, happy, courteous and efficient. Spot on!
Food was also excellent though at a table of 16 on our second night for dinner, service was slow though not so bad we would need to moan.
Bar was great. We rang a (late) order in for food at the bar and this was ready for us when we returned to the hotel! Great service.
My room (212) was brilliant. Big, real comfy bed, nice bathroom and great view. Nice and peaceful. Very happy with that. Personally, I didn't notice any traffic noise.
Wish I'd had chance to go to the pool but I was too busy with work.
Breakfast was great though my poached eggs were a bit over done (and that is being over picky!)
This hotel would have got 5 stars on my own experience, however, one of my colleagues swapped rooms 3 times, another who was in the basement had an illuminated door frame right in her line of sight and another had a dripping drain right next to the window.
Would I recommend and/or return? Yes, like a shot. Thanks for looking after me.
Totally recommend the steaks!

Room Tip: 212 if you can specify. Not basement and not top floor apparently!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Philly706
We were happy to look after you and your group, you all became well known to the team, for all the right reasons of course! Glad to read that you all had a great stay, albeit one of your group had to move rooms which I am pleased we could accommodate.
It is great to read how well the staff looked after you as they really do make the difference to any stay, I will certainly share your feedback with the team with thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit, where hopefully you will find time to use the pool.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was very impressed with my recent stay in this hotel. From the check in to departure, everything was superb. The rooms were excellent with comfortable beds and good facilities, the pool area and gym were very clean and pleasant too. Esther handled my check in and was quick, efficient and most importantly, smiley! The restaurant staff were also very good and informative and Carl on reception was extremely helpful and patient when I asked his advice on places to eat and visit during my short stay. Overall the hotel is to be commended on its staff and service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Teuchter62
Wonderful to read you had such a great stay. Thank you for your specific comments regarding Esther and Carl, I will be sure to share this with them with thanks. I'm am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and had a great experience of Edinburgh, however short.
We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is centrally located and only a 10 minute walk from the train station and centre. The hotel is about 5 minutes from the Edinburgh Playhouse, as well as the Omni Centre which boasts resturants, a cinema, and a health club.

As a plantinum member I was very excited to have another Crowne plaza in Scotland and have stayed 3 times now. I have since found that if you want to be valued, looked after and listened too then there really is no need to stay anywhere else! I have found any feedback I have give is valued, taken seriously on board, and followed up. Of course no hotel can get it right 100 % off the time but isn't it of more value that a hotel is always striving to get it right and takes on boards comments and implements changes!?

The hotel is lovely and has a secluded, quiet and warm atmosphere. The building itself is eloquent inside and as for the rooms... Wohhhh!!! The rooms are spacious, comfortable, stuningly beautiful, and certainly give you the Wohhhh factor!

I would highly recommend booking a club room which gives complimentary access to the club lounge. Here you will find a warm, cosy, and peaceful location to relax 24 hours of the day! There is hot drinks, and a good selection of soft drinks... including Scotland's number one soft drink Irn Bru...don't forget to try it out! You will also find some nibbles throughout the day. Here, in the quietness of the lounge, you can order a full Scottish breakfast. Perhaps in the summer you might even be able to sit in the pictureous garden which you can access from the club lounge. Of course you can also have a continental breakfast here and if you really wish you can have breakfast in the restaurant . At night relax in the club lounge where for 2 hours complimentary spirits, wine, and beer-both bottled and draught are served with a friendly smile. There is also a selection of canapes.

Staff are genouine, friendly, and take time to build up a rapport. Check in is smooth and hassle free and staff remain focused on you.

The hotel also has a lovely swimming pool which feels private and calming. Relax in the chair with a book or why not try the steam room!

All guests can access complimentary use of the computer. You can also print and scan documents while sitting in the stylish and comfortable chair.

Having just come back from the most wonderful stay here with my family I had every confidence the hotel could leave a lasting impression. Having not had a family holiday like this for years it was just stunning and my family loved it. I now having lasting memories to treasure of our stay there.

The Crowne Plaza has a logo... It's the small things that matter.. How about coming back to your bed to find a sweet treat of Scottish tablet!,or the spray to help you sleep-it works! An earlier check in and a late checkout-if they can they will! Fancy a hot chocolate but no hot chocolate in your room... I'm sure somebody will find you some, forgot your toothbrush or need tooth paste - no problem request some complimentary at reception... the list goes on and on!

I really can't recommend this hotel enough and as they strive for execellence be sure to give constructive feedback-it really is listened too - a massive massive thank you to Lucja and Alsadair for the way they have left me feeling very valued. Thanks for the additional inclusion of Irn Bru in the fridge, the lovely new chair in the business section, and the wide selection of beers on offer in the club lounge-now here is a hotel that really listens to it's customers.

I am looking forward to many many more stays. Forget the rest... try the best!

Wishing this new Crowne plaza every success.

Mark

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark B
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Mark
A pleasure as always to welcome you back!
Thank you for your in depth review, very helpful indeed to our soon to visit guests no doubt.
I am very pleased I had the chance to meet you this time around, and pleased that you are able to see the changes we have made on following up on your very valuable feedback. In particular the Irn Bru :-)
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the team, I will certainly be sharing this with them.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Nice hotel but they need to double glaze the windows of the rooms facing the Royal Terrace. We were on the first floor and I had the bed near the window and the traffic noise all night and into the early parts of the morning was constant.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the garden at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Holidays209
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, apart from the noise from the terrace. We will of course use your feedback and I do hope in time that we will be able to provide some secondary glazing for these rooms as that would be ideal to reduce some of the noise which occurs during the day and early evening. The cobblestones whilst very quaint, do make a little bit of noise when the cars go through, luckily this does die down by 10pm every night resulting in a lovely peaceful terrace.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed over the weekend and can not speak more highly of the staff; attentive, personable and polite. Particularly Gretchen on reception (forgive me if that is not her name!) Wonderful hotel in a great location.
The one gripe I have is that the housekeeping staff seem a tad rude, other than that though it is a remarkable hotel in a fantastic location. The managers should be proud!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher H
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Christopher
Thank you for your very positive feedback. I am very proud of my team for sure. Interesting comments regarding the housekeepers, which is unfortunate, sometimes I think this has to do with their limited English but is of course no excuse. I will address this with the team to work on this area.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel as a family for a weekend away. The general presentation of the hotel is very nice. We were comparing it to Intercontinentals though, which is not a fair comparison - but Crowne Plaza is the highest star brand of IHG in Edinburgh. The room was spacious, the parking opposite hotel was busy, but free for the weekend, the presentation of the hotel is decent. On the negative side though, one can clearly see that Crowne Plaza is used as a training ground - the quality of service is inconsistent and ranges from extremely attentive and helpful Esthere in the restaurant who went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant, to staff that leaves external door open for 5 minutes just to avoid putting a hoover down to open the door again on the way back - which obviously is inconsiderate to guests with a little child sitting at the table next to that door. For the last 2 days after a wedding held at the hotel, the lift was broken. While we were only on the 2nd floor, some of the staff manually carrying huge sacks of linen up the stairs did raise concerns for their health.

We do think those were temporary troubles, but there are so many nice hotels in the world that staying in the same one after anything but a perfect stay is a sin...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank maksym
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Maksym
Thank you for your honest feedback of our hotel. It was lovely to read that Esthere looked after you so well, and I will certainly be sharing this with her with thanks. Disappointing that the other staff member did not show the same consideration and I can assure you that this will be addressed with the team to ensure that this remains an isolated incident.
Unfortunately we did experience some technical issues with the lift which have since been resolved, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you, and of course for my team, whose heavy load was increased during this time.
I do hope that you would reconsider and stay with us again should you be visiting Edinburgh again.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Was upgraded on check in. Lovely atmosphere and very helpful staff. Easy access to wifi and spacious room. Could do with better lighting though. Location is great. The lounge room was a great bolt hole away from public bar area. Would certainly recommend

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Maisiescotland
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Maisiescotland
Thank you for your lovely feedback, so pleased you enjoyed your upgrade and the lounge facilities, it is a great spot that's for sure.
Look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.