“Looking forward to a return visit.”

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Ranked #113 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is a lovely, clean, comfortable hotel and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The pool and steam room were so nice to come back to after a day out in the city in mid-November. On our 1st night we had a spacious room but the bathroom was cold. It was no problem to get moved to a different room with a warm bathroom the next morning. We didn't eat in the hotel but probably will next time - there are lots of good restaurants and a Tesco express nearby. We really enjoyed staying at the Crowne Plaza on Royal Terrace and plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our ground floor room was quiet with a large bay window.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Susanne_9
We are looking forward to your return visit already!
Thank you for your positive feedback, so pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay.
See you again soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Great beds, great food, great view and the best hotel service I´ve experienced.

It´s not just some of the staff who are good, It´s all of them - from the cleaners to the general manager - EVERYBODY is completely tuned-in to giving the the most welcoming, warm and genuine service.
Heartily recommend this hotel and it´s people!

Looking forward to coming back for another visit.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi only worked for me on the ground and 1st floors.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Cruddock2013
So pleased that you had such a fantastic time.
Thank you for the wonderful feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed here in mid September for one night and was very impressed.

This is a really nice and modern hotel, the room was very clean and spacious and the service was very good. The check in staff was very helpful, arranged taxis and gave recommendations for restaurants.

Nice location also. Very central but quite quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Oogle90
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. It was great to read that you had such an enjoyable stay.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are visiting Edinburgh.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with a group of people. We were all on different floors and all had very different experiences.
Check in and ALL staff was exceptional. Pleasant, happy, courteous and efficient. Spot on!
Food was also excellent though at a table of 16 on our second night for dinner, service was slow though not so bad we would need to moan.
Bar was great. We rang a (late) order in for food at the bar and this was ready for us when we returned to the hotel! Great service.
My room (212) was brilliant. Big, real comfy bed, nice bathroom and great view. Nice and peaceful. Very happy with that. Personally, I didn't notice any traffic noise.
Wish I'd had chance to go to the pool but I was too busy with work.
Breakfast was great though my poached eggs were a bit over done (and that is being over picky!)
This hotel would have got 5 stars on my own experience, however, one of my colleagues swapped rooms 3 times, another who was in the basement had an illuminated door frame right in her line of sight and another had a dripping drain right next to the window.
Would I recommend and/or return? Yes, like a shot. Thanks for looking after me.
Totally recommend the steaks!

Room Tip: 212 if you can specify. Not basement and not top floor apparently!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Philly706
We were happy to look after you and your group, you all became well known to the team, for all the right reasons of course! Glad to read that you all had a great stay, albeit one of your group had to move rooms which I am pleased we could accommodate.
It is great to read how well the staff looked after you as they really do make the difference to any stay, I will certainly share your feedback with the team with thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit, where hopefully you will find time to use the pool.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was very impressed with my recent stay in this hotel. From the check in to departure, everything was superb. The rooms were excellent with comfortable beds and good facilities, the pool area and gym were very clean and pleasant too. Esther handled my check in and was quick, efficient and most importantly, smiley! The restaurant staff were also very good and informative and Carl on reception was extremely helpful and patient when I asked his advice on places to eat and visit during my short stay. Overall the hotel is to be commended on its staff and service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Teuchter62
Wonderful to read you had such a great stay. Thank you for your specific comments regarding Esther and Carl, I will be sure to share this with them with thanks. I'm am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and had a great experience of Edinburgh, however short.
We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is centrally located and only a 10 minute walk from the train station and centre. The hotel is about 5 minutes from the Edinburgh Playhouse, as well as the Omni Centre which boasts resturants, a cinema, and a health club.

As a plantinum member I was very excited to have another Crowne plaza in Scotland and have stayed 3 times now. I have since found that if you want to be valued, looked after and listened too then there really is no need to stay anywhere else! I have found any feedback I have give is valued, taken seriously on board, and followed up. Of course no hotel can get it right 100 % off the time but isn't it of more value that a hotel is always striving to get it right and takes on boards comments and implements changes!?

The hotel is lovely and has a secluded, quiet and warm atmosphere. The building itself is eloquent inside and as for the rooms... Wohhhh!!! The rooms are spacious, comfortable, stuningly beautiful, and certainly give you the Wohhhh factor!

I would highly recommend booking a club room which gives complimentary access to the club lounge. Here you will find a warm, cosy, and peaceful location to relax 24 hours of the day! There is hot drinks, and a good selection of soft drinks... including Scotland's number one soft drink Irn Bru...don't forget to try it out! You will also find some nibbles throughout the day. Here, in the quietness of the lounge, you can order a full Scottish breakfast. Perhaps in the summer you might even be able to sit in the pictureous garden which you can access from the club lounge. Of course you can also have a continental breakfast here and if you really wish you can have breakfast in the restaurant . At night relax in the club lounge where for 2 hours complimentary spirits, wine, and beer-both bottled and draught are served with a friendly smile. There is also a selection of canapes.

Staff are genouine, friendly, and take time to build up a rapport. Check in is smooth and hassle free and staff remain focused on you.

The hotel also has a lovely swimming pool which feels private and calming. Relax in the chair with a book or why not try the steam room!

All guests can access complimentary use of the computer. You can also print and scan documents while sitting in the stylish and comfortable chair.

Having just come back from the most wonderful stay here with my family I had every confidence the hotel could leave a lasting impression. Having not had a family holiday like this for years it was just stunning and my family loved it. I now having lasting memories to treasure of our stay there.

The Crowne Plaza has a logo... It's the small things that matter.. How about coming back to your bed to find a sweet treat of Scottish tablet!,or the spray to help you sleep-it works! An earlier check in and a late checkout-if they can they will! Fancy a hot chocolate but no hot chocolate in your room... I'm sure somebody will find you some, forgot your toothbrush or need tooth paste - no problem request some complimentary at reception... the list goes on and on!

I really can't recommend this hotel enough and as they strive for execellence be sure to give constructive feedback-it really is listened too - a massive massive thank you to Lucja and Alsadair for the way they have left me feeling very valued. Thanks for the additional inclusion of Irn Bru in the fridge, the lovely new chair in the business section, and the wide selection of beers on offer in the club lounge-now here is a hotel that really listens to it's customers.

I am looking forward to many many more stays. Forget the rest... try the best!

Wishing this new Crowne plaza every success.

Mark

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark B
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Mark
A pleasure as always to welcome you back!
Thank you for your in depth review, very helpful indeed to our soon to visit guests no doubt.
I am very pleased I had the chance to meet you this time around, and pleased that you are able to see the changes we have made on following up on your very valuable feedback. In particular the Irn Bru :-)
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the team, I will certainly be sharing this with them.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Nice hotel but they need to double glaze the windows of the rooms facing the Royal Terrace. We were on the first floor and I had the bed near the window and the traffic noise all night and into the early parts of the morning was constant.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the garden at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Holidays209
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, apart from the noise from the terrace. We will of course use your feedback and I do hope in time that we will be able to provide some secondary glazing for these rooms as that would be ideal to reduce some of the noise which occurs during the day and early evening. The cobblestones whilst very quaint, do make a little bit of noise when the cars go through, luckily this does die down by 10pm every night resulting in a lovely peaceful terrace.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.