“Poor value for money”

Ranked #103 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
australia
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have just returned from staying at the Royal Terrace Hotel where we attended a function. The accommodation deal included a continental breakfast. We found the bedroom large enough for 3 adults although one of the taps over the sink did not work properly. The linen was good and the beds comfortable. We had breakfast in what we were told was the only breakfast area. On checkout, however, we were informed that we had to pay an additional breakfast charge as our inclusive breakfast was served in the ‘Club Room’. This was not made clear on our arrival or even when we asked 'is there another area for breakfast?'. We felt that the breakfast charge was excessive for the quality. It was a very tired and mediocre breakfast served in a cramped space. I had to move from my original chair as I was unable to get up from the table. The staff were friendly and generally the hotel was clean and warm. I believe that there wasn’t value for money for the service provided. There are better value for money hotels in Edinburgh.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ms62
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Ms62
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. My apologies regarding the confusion surrounding your breakfast. I have reiterated this with the team that breakfast is able to be taken in any location when a club/feature room has been booked, not just in the Club Lounge. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would like to email me at general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk .
I am pleased to read that you found our team to be friendly.
I do hope that we can welcome you back at some stage in the future.
Lucja Leonard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Turkish first
Leitrim, Ireland
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Nice Hotel with a good location. Needs a bit of refurb. Staff on reception and in bar excellent. Breakfast was a bit disappointing especially for the two vegetarians in my party. Quality and choice of food for breakfast was not that good. On the up side, our room was very large and spacious and very quiet

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Galls
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Lovely to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I will take your comments on board regarding vegetarian options for breakfast, we do offer a full range of vegetarian options such as tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, potato scones and we do offer vegetarian sausages or pancakes via ordering with our team from the menu at no extra cost.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
wirral
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here in December with my husband, cannot fault the hotel. we had a king room and it was fantastic. the staff and service were great - nothing was ever too much trouble. location was fabulous too. we had a wonderful stay and would visit the royal terrace again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Helen
We hope you visit us again soon too!
Thank you for a wonderful review and I am really pleased you had such a great stay and the team looked after you in their usual wonderful fashion.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights before New years eve, we booked early so we got a reasonably good price. The room 103 is very nice for family of 3, with 1 bathroom and 1 shower room my daughter loved it as she has her own shower room.

the pool is small but nice for family with small children also have steam room as well.

I notice some people complaining about fire alarm, I actually use to it by now (We have been woken up by fire alarm 5-6 times in various hotels in the UK the last 6 years, one of them 2 o'clock in the morning) and it does not annoy us whatsoever but we are grateful that the fire alarm work and we know that we more likely to be safe it is was a real fire.

Breakfast is adequate, perhaps need more variation for people who stay more than 3 days.

The room was spacious with 4 posters bed, nice a little details as I expected from 4-5 stars hotels.

Location:
Not far from both old and new town also not far from Hollyroodhouse.

A nice surprise, didn't expected to see any fireworks as we only stayed there until 31st Dec but on the 30th Dec there was a very nice firework display right in front of our room.

All in all we would love to be back again, hopefully stay over new year's eve next time :-)

Dear RLJ1970
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. The fireworks were great weren't they? All part of Edinburgh's torchlight procession, I went along up Calton Hill as well, they were truly spectacular and to have them right behind the hotel, a real treat.
So pleased that you had a great stay, we have got some fabulous spacious family rooms which is ideal for the kids to give them some space as well.
I love your point about the fire alarm, I am of the same mindset, it is better to know it is working just in case. It is always an inconvenience, but it is there for life safety, something we take very seriously.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Edinburgh.
Lancashire
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Greeted very well and professionally on arrival........ That's where the good part ends unfortunately. My wife and I were upgraded being IHG platinum members, the room was ok but a little tired. However my 2 daughters were put in a standard room which is normally no problem in other Crowne Plaza hotels. The room had no heating whatsoever, the aircon when turned up to 24 degrees still pumped out cold air. The bathroom was like an ice box as it's footprint stood outside the building line and took all the elements. We bought this to the attention of reception who sent up a free standing heater with a Neanderthal that threw it in the room then closed off the aircon completely whilst looking Condescendingly at my family. The bathroom had a towel rail and a radiator but neither could be used as they were a health and safety risk after the refurbishment. Forgive me but this so called refurbishment had not taken place anytime recently so why hadn't this been sorted by now. The heater had one setting "blast furnace" so within 15 minutes you could not breath in the room and had to go into the bathroom to cool down! Next morning I told reception this was unacceptable and they should think of moving my daughters which by our return later in the day they had sorted another room which was perfectly ok and had heating. The next morning we were turfed out on the street by a fire alarm at 8.30am, now I am aware this is essential but on a Sunday morning, could Monday be a better option as hotels are generally empty on Sunday nights. Only a chef turned out onto the street with the other staff choosing to remain inside the inferno that for all we knew was taking place. This then had a knock on effect for breakfast as the every guest was now wide awake and heading for breakfast which led to fights over the last sausage etc. terrible experience which is a shame as I have visited many Crowne Plaza's around the world and not experienced one so bad. We are about to spend a lot of time in Edinburgh over the next few years but it won't be at this hotel.

2 Thank MarkLancashire
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Mark
Thank you for your feedback and I sincerely apologise for the issues you have experienced. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would be able to send me an email to general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk so I can address the issues you have raised.
I can assure you that we take all feedback on board and this is not our usual level of service or quality.
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We decided, as a last minute treat, to go to Edinburgh for new year. We knew all the hotels would be more expensive than normal and after extensive research chose the Crown Plaza on Royal Terrace.

On arrival we were directed to our two rooms and the keys didn't work - a good start!! The keys were changed but didn't work on a further two occasions!

To say the rooms were small is an understatement. The floor had not been vacuumed properly as there was still rubbish visable. The bathroom was so small you could shower, visit the toilet and clean your teeth all at the same time!! For £289 per night per room they were dreadful.

One of the rooms was freezing cold - not what you want in Edinburgh in December/January! After complaining 3 times we eventually got a freestanding heater in the room.

Would definitely not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are offered either room 211 or 213 (either side of the lift!) refuse them!
1 Thank lindaatmiltonabbas
Dear Linda
Thank you for your feedback. It is a shame that you did not get to experience our hotel as it should be. I would be happy to discuss further, if you could email me at general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk
I hope to hear from you so that we can look to restore your faith in our hotel.
Shanghai
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I arrived late at night from a very long flight and left early the next morning but this a a gracious old world style hotel located in an Edinburgh Georgian terrace. Rooms are large and well equipped, staff are extremely friendly and gave me a warm welcome. A good Scottish breakfast before I continued my travels set me up for the day. My only regret was that it was such a short stay - I will be back!

Room Tip: If you're old like me request a room near the lift
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GraemeShanghai
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Graeme
Thank you for your review. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay, albeit to short.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for hopefully a more extended visit.