“A hidden treasure”

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Ranked #108 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I happened to be in Edinburgh for just one night on business and made a last minute booking to stay at the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace after sorting "the more important things" like meetings, agendas and travel etc.

In my job I travel with reasonable frequency and almost invariably get a “feel” for a hotel as soon as I walk in. Without exception this is generated by the people and complimented by the surroundings. My visit found both in exceptionally high order. Starting with a great friendly greeting from Esther at check in, through Anita, Graham, Rory and Ewa in the restaurant, all contributed seamlessly to making me feel at home in a very personal and professional manner.

The following day I met two senior industry colleagues on business and we enjoyed the relaxed yet discreet seating area in reception. Over coffee with good quality books available to browse one advised me that he had never even considered looking here for a hotel but would certainly do so in the future. Checking out with Lisa was bubbly and fun.

You should be very proud of your hotel and of your staff. I will tell others of my excellent stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear JohnB
A hidden treasure! I love your description. We are indeed a hidden treasure, not that we want to be hidden, we want everyone to know how fantastic our hotel is. Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you so well. Thank you for taking the time to note their names as well, I will be sure to pass this feedback onto them with thanks.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

My mum and I stayed at the crowne plaza for a weekend city break, and what a wonderful stay we had. Beautifully located just 5 minutes from the city centre. Every member of staff without exception was friendly and attentive. Our room was fantastic, huge and with two of the comfiest double beds we've ever slept in! Breakfast was delicious with plenty to choose from. Would return to this lovely hotel in a heartbeat!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Katwina
Sounds like you and your mum had a great stay with us. So glad that my team looked after you so well and you really appreciated our location and unique hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you would be visiting Edinburgh.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Myself, sister, mum and aunt decided to have a Christmas Shopping weekend in Edinburgh and were able to book this hotel last minute for what we thought was a good price. When we arrived reception staff were lovely and helpful. Our rooms were freezing and we all resorted to sleeping with our dressing gowns on after asking a member of staff numerous times to turn up the heat in our rooms. We also found empty miniature shampoo bottles in our shower and hair all over the bathroom. But the worst was yet to come, on the morning of departure we packed and vacated our rooms quickly as we had a long day planned ahead of us. As soon as i got home i realised i had left my coat (which was a very expensive sentimental gift) in the wardrobe of the hotel. I called straight away explained what had happened and was told they would check the room and get back to me. They called hours later to say the nothing was found in the room and told me there was nothing else they could do for me. I was very upset and asked if the manager could call me back. I waited almost 24 hours and still had no phone call and when i called the hotel and asked to be put through the "duty manager" took my call was very abrupt and in my opinion tried to make me out to be a liar. I then told the "duty manager" that if he couldn't help me i had no choice but to call the police(something i really didn't want to have to do), he then became more helpful and told me he would look into it. 2 days later another manager called this time a women who at first was very polite and alot more helpful than the gentleman but again told me there was nothing more she could do and said that she trusts her staff and doesn't believe any of them would have stolen or misplaced my coat, i asked if she had a record of who had been in my room after i left and she explained only one person (housekeeper) had entered my room. I 100% left my coat in the wardrobe of this hotel and have 3 witnesses that saw me hanging my coat in the wardrobe on the Saturday evening and leaving without it on the Sunday morning if the coat wasn't so sentimental i wouldn't have taken action but i expressed my feelings to both managers both of which couldn't have been more dismissive if they tried. This was now 2 months ago and still i have no coat and no answers !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Laura M

Dear Laura
I was one the Manager that spoke with you after my Duty Manager had been in contact with you to advise that there was not a coat left in your room. As advised, we investigated the situation fully as there was only one housekeeper that had entry to your room (via lock read) and she was fully investigated. This is the first time we have ever had any such accusations, and I do trust my team. As suggested to you if you wished, you could contact the police to investigate further, and we would of course assist them fully in any enquiries, of which to date I have not received any contact from the police so assuming you have not taken this line of enquiry. This matter is closed at our end unless you decide to pursue this with the police, hence why there is no further contact from us.
I can fully empathise with you about losing your coat, I have had this happen myself, and whilst it is very frustrating and disappointing, I feel it is very unfair for this accusation to be directed at the hotel staff. We have a very high number of lost property items, many of which are never claimed as people just don't recall where they have left items, and our team take full account of these items and keep them safe.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I simply do not have a bad word about this place! The hotel is well kept, rooms fresh, beds super comfy, the staff superb and the free parking they provide is a huge plus.
The reception staff is very friendly and knowledgeable, and I must give a very special thanks to Miss. Lis Andersson for making our visit to Edinburgh such a success.

Area wise, while in Edinburgh, try to make time to visit the Science museum "Our Dynamic Earth", its the most fun I've ever had in a museum! Also, since you are in Scotland, try to squeeze in your schedule a few castles. This hotel has the perfect relaxing atmosphere but are happy to guide you anywhere you wish to go explore. Most of the must-sees are around the corner anyway.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Ted
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to read all your positive comments, especially about our team and Lisa in particular. She is a fantastic asset to the team.
I hope you can come back and visit us some time in the future.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Spent two nights at the Crowne Plaza, Royal Terrace Edinburgh. Super hotel, very near the Playhouse Theatre. Hotel rooms quite small but all we needed for a couple of nights, breakfast was good. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sandra
Glad you had a great time over your weekend with us and that the team looked after you so well.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The staff were so helpful. My Husband and I are blind and we felt so relaxed. Nothing was a problem. Food great, rooms stunning and ours was huge. So clean throughout the hotel. We will be back for sure and the price was reasonable. The whole hotel felt so homely. We were in a group of 22 and everyone said how amazing the stay was. Feel really relaxed after for me only one night there, but hope to have more. I hope nothing changes in this perfect hotel, about seven minutes drive from the train station.

Room Tip: we stayed on the ground floor and it was quiet and large room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Fiona
Wow! What more can we do than provide perfection. Thank you for your brilliant review, I was so pleased that you all had such a great night and enjoyed our hotel for all that it is, a beautiful & stunning hotel in a great location with a great team to look after you.
We can't wait for you to come back either.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed at the Crown Plaza, Royal Terrace for one night with my granddaughter. We had a lovely stay. Rooms were lovely, staff were lovely, breakfast was varied and loads of it and my granddaughter had a great time in the pool.
Ideally situated for the theatre, shops and loads of places round about to eat, although the bar menu in the hotel was reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Margaret
Thank you for your lovely review. I am very pleased to hear you had such a great stay and sounds like you made good use of all the facilities. Our pool is lovely and is great when you can take full advantage of that.
We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.