“Valentine's Day Weekend”

Ranked #105 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Valentine's Day Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend here. Close to the city centre, the staff were lovely and very knowledgeable when it comes to where to go and where to eat. Calton hill is round the corner if you fancy a wander up there for a great view of the city. If you want to try a traditional Scottish breakfast I would recommend here to anyone, freshly cooked and plenty of choice. The room was a good size, nice and clean with a huge comfy bed. The hotel has a great vibe to it too with plenty of tourists passing through it always feels lively. The hotel doesn't have a car park but parking on the road outside is free in the evening and at weekends. I would recommend here to anyone planning a trip to Scotland's capital!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ceriberry83
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Ceri
Sounds like you had a super time in Edinburgh. Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
I love Calton Hill as well, the views are truly spectacular, and so easily accessed from the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting our beautiful city.
Lucja Leonard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently with family! Club lounge worth extra money! Special mention to Teri on reception and aneta who looked after us in the club lounge then for dinner. Staff made the stay even better! Rooms are spacious and the espresso machine in room a nice touch. Thanks!

Stayed March 2014
What a lovely review! Thank you so much and I am so pleased that you had such a fantastic stay. The Club Lounge really is worth it, isn't it? I appreciate your comments about Teri and Aneta and will pass these on with thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting Edinburgh.
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Three night stay at this hotel using our Avios points on a bed and breakfast rate. Great location and free evening and weekend on street parking in the city centre made this hotel our first choice.

On arrival a few things wrong with the room; room safe and heated towel rail didn't work and light bulbs blown. Reported the faults to reception and all fixed except the towel rail which stayed cold all weekend but no explanation given.

The hotel has a small indoor pool - but the water was cool and on one night the shower in the pool area only fed ice cold water. I went back to the room for a hot bath and the water there was tepid too. Hotel wasn't that busy so not sure why it couldn't supply really hot water.

On the final night we were woken at 5am by people moving the dustbins out to the front of the hotel. The people doing it had no regard to those sleeping above as they were talking as well as banging the bins as they moved them.

And to avoid eating the default full English breakfast three days in a row me and my partner opted for a smoked salmon and scrambled egg option on the last morning - charged at a small supplement. But, what was served was a mush of egg and small salmon bits. For the price of breakfast and the supplement I was expecting full slices of smoked Scottish salmon on top of the egg. Sent the food back and the supplement was refunded.

The hotel staff were all very pleasant - but overall these faults tarnished our stay.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the hotel which had a nice city/sea view. But the road below is cobbl...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jules B
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Jules
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay. I apologise for the maintenance issues you have raised on your arrival, I am pleased that they were rectified immediately however. The towel rails have all been decommissioned for heating, they are just literally a stand alone towel rail, we may perhaps need to look at having some signage to explain this as this is a query that guests regularly mention. I am investigating further regarding your comments on the water, as I have been checking the pool area each day this week and the shower has been warm, and we are certainly looking into the issue for the room in particular.
I will follow up with our team about the noise levels as this is not acceptable and is the first time this has been brought to my attention so will certainly address this. I will discuss your feedback with the chef regarding the smoked salmon, I had this a few days ago coincidentally, and enjoyed the eggs & salmon but somehow in my mind I was expecting the mix as this is how I have had it served at other locations, we will look to make this clearer on the menu as we are reprinting them in any case, to avoid any misunderstanding.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future, as this is not our usual level of service and quality.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for the last four nights as a long weekend away. The staff are really nice, everything is clean and well presented and it has a really nice feel to it. It's not the cheapest around nor the most central but it's nice and we still managed to walk everywhere.

Coming back to pick our bags up before heading home it really felt we were coming home to get our stuff, we'll be sad to leave.

There's music playing around the place which helps create a lovely ambience, the pool is small but nice and was very quiet with lovely tranquil music while we were there. The gym is small but well enough equipped for keeping your exercise topped up while you're away.

We only ate breakfast here but it was very good so have no reason to think the restaurant would be any different.

All in all, a lovely stay in a lovely hotel and we would not hesitate to come back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks Teddy,
It was great to hear that you both had a wonderful stay.
Hopefully you will be back before long and will try out our dinner menu as well, the food is fantastic!
If you enjoy the gym.....why not join me on a run next time, I am a keen runner and have been known to take guests out for a run to show them the local sights, did you know Arthur's Seat is only half a mile from our front door? Next time perhaps!
See you then,
Fife, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in crowne plaza Saturday 15th march for my partners birthday we booked a standard double room,beautiful bathroom very powerful shower which was fab,quite small dated tv in room,no view as in basement so looked onto brick wall outside.lovely hotel though.issues were room cards.we were at reception 4 times with problems with ours.on arrival we couldn't get into our room as card wouldn't work,then when went to use pool wouldn't work then to let us use pool so back to reception again then when coming home from evening out wouldn't work again my goodness annoying!!!we also go called at 8.15am saying there was a taxi for us which wasn't for us so very early awakening on a Sunday .also on arrival we were asked if wanted breakfast the next day and was told £10 each we have stayed in crowne plaza in Glasgow before and had a great breakfast well worth it so said yes then when came down on the Sunday we were charged £33 I spoke to reception and said we were told £10 each and not £16.50 this was corrected for us think might have been new trainee on making mistakes which is fair enough .great stay in hotel though nice pool shame didn't have jacuzzi but lovely stay apart from all hassle

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Vikki
Glad you enjoyed a great stay with us recently. We do have a variety of rooms, as we are originally 7 terraced town houses converted into a hotel, we have rooms in the lower level through to the 3rd floor, although the lower level rooms don't have the great views they are fantastically comfortable and quiet. I am so sorry you experienced trouble with your key cards, I think I helped you and your family down at the leisure facilities, and apologies for the other issues you have noted from reception. We did have a new trainee on reception but this is no excuse for this happening, and I can assure you that this is not our usual level of service and is being addressed.
I am pleased that you still had a lovely stay and we will take your feedback on board to ensure that this remains an isolated occurrence. And we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

A regular hotel that I have used from time to time that was changed to a new Crowne Plaza last year with the employment of a new Manager. The service before was great but is now excellent. The attention to detail and customer service is superb, nothing appeared to be too much trouble.

Room Tip: Great views on either side of the hotel - gardens to the rear and the park/city to the front.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike B
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Mike
Thank you for your fantastic review, and I love your room tip, our gardens are truly spectacular, and one of Edinburgh's best kept secrets......but we are trying our very best to get this secret out as this is a fantastic spot for some pre-dinner drinks or al fresco dining during the spring & summer months.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed here recently for one night with my husband. We were made to feel truly welcome by all of the staff we encountered. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room was great, particularly the bathroom which had a fab power shower.
We took advantage of the pool and steam room which were clean and in good condition - very relaxing atmosphere with nice music playing.
Breakfast was fab - lots of choice and really tasty.
The hotel is in a great location, about 5 minutes walk from the shops, 15 mins from the station.
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lilmisspurple
Dear Lilmisspurple
Thank you for your lovely recommendation. It is great to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you back at our hotel again in the future.